• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
From the recently uploaded State of Play recap video:

You can see in the end of the video this line:
unknown.png

PlayStation 5 console and PlayStation VR2 are required to experience PlayStation VR2 functionallity

There was some speculation in prior threads on whether will PSVR2 headsets work on PCs as a PCVR headset, but it seems that is not the case as they are saying a PS5 is required to use the PSVR2 headset.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Deracine is in the nvidia leak. It would be really weird if PC support wasn't eventually planned.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I dont think this says anything more then it wont be there at launch.

Sony is putting games on pc because the audience is limited and has pretty much been maxed out on consoles and that's for PS5, I cant imagine how limited the market for PSVR2 is gonna be based on shortages, console price, vr2 price, and $70 games. Not to mention Oculus kicking everyone else's ass in the space sales wise.

Plus to be quite honest nobody on PC really cares long term if PSVR2 comes out for pc or not, we just want the games both 1st and 3rd party to not be exclusive so we can play them with any number of other headsets now and in the future.

Last edited:

Mocha Joe

Jun 2, 2021
meh not buying then. I'll go with whatever Valve does for their next gen headset then.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
I never expected official support, question is how easy/possible is it to make it unofficially supported for enthusiasts.

Spoit

Oct 28, 2017
I'm sure that the community will hack something together. They theoretically got something working for the PSVR1, even though it wasn't...great

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Not surprised, will have to consider things now
May just pickup Valves next offering or whatever the next big VR set ends up being

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Uuuh, I am unsure why you are reading that much into it OP?
PSVR2 games will of course require a PS5 and PSVR2, that doesnt mean you cannot connect a PSVR2 to PC to play PCVR games.

Hardware and software platforms are different. In this case, to play PSVR2 games, you need the console to power up the headset, but you coudl potentially also use the headset to play non PSVR2 games (through you PC).

Not saying this is what happens but the text doesnt really say what the title says.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
I would not be so certain of that being completely accurate, as this is primarily geared to the console anyway.
If PSVR2 support goes to PC supported by Sony, I would assume it wouldn't be day one to prevent non-PS5 users buying them up ahead of console users.
If Sony don't support PSVR2 on PC, Valve will do it all themselves, just as they have been doing with Oculus hardware in SteamVR

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
I didn't realize people were expecting it to be officially supported on PC.

I don't think it'll take long for people to make it work though. PSVR1 can be made to work with a lot of hoops to jump through and PSVR2 will likely require far fewer.

Det

Jul 30, 2020
Not that I expect it to but the disclaimer doesn't mean much as that's only how it's currently being marketed.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Eh, I wouldn't say that based on the very typical disclaimer.
The PSVR2 is built as a PS5 add-on product mainly yeah (hence the disclaimer) but it doesn't disprove potential official PC driver support in the future.
(in any case, unofficial PC drivers for PSVR2 should be appearing super fast I expect, should be easier to adopt than the weird PSVR1 setup)

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Never expected it to, but maybe eventually they'll release how much money they could rake in if they did make it work with PC.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
It's a shame, but I don't think it will be too long before the hardware seems relatively "low-end" compared to what else will be out there anyway.

sionydus

Jan 2, 2021
West Coast, USA
I can't explain it but I have a feeling one day we'll be able to use PSVR2 on PC. It may not be official. It may come with risks. But I think it will happen.

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
That line confirms nothing that can't be changed afterwards. I still don't think it'll happen officially

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Such a notice doesn't preclude potential PC compatibility as much as it guarantees Sony will offer zero formal support. Which could be something like "the community will need to come up with its own drivers," which is basically what has happened with initiatives like gutting Quest 2's Facebook requirements. (PSVR1's PC compatibility hasn't really had formal acknowledgement from Sony, anyway.)

Charsace

Chicken Chaser
Nov 22, 2017
This being tethered and having no PC support is going to leave this thing doa in 2023.

Dec 23, 2017
It's a missed opportunity if Sony doesn't make PSVR2 PC compatible.

The VR headset space is wide open for the PSVR2 with those specs.

coughlanio

Oct 28, 2017
London, UK
Were people expecting official PC support?

I always operated under the assumption that it'll be handled by the community and/or SteamVR.

Det

Jul 30, 2020
It's a missed opportunity if Sony doesn't make PSVR2 PC compatible.

The VR headset space is wide open for the PSVR2 with those specs.

The only problem is if they sell the hardware at a loss, which is likely. I could see them officially supporting it in a year or so once they have their own software ported to Steam/drive down COGS on the headset.

Bleu

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
Sounds normal honestly, ps5 games are supposed to subsidy the cost of the headset.
Would be dumb to "officially" expect anything else.
However the single cable and internal cameras setup makes having a complete hacked community driver for PCs much more possible in the end, unless they go out of their way to protect the whole thing, and that would only delay the inevitable.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
There's going to be a limited number of these and they'll sell out. Sony will prefer that the ones that sell, will sell to PS5 owners for obvious reasons.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Well, yea? What did people expect, official support?

There will be someone that eventually finds a way to connect them to PC, but Sony won't be providing drivers or anything similar.

Orion117

Prophet of Regret - A King's Landing
Dec 8, 2018
I think you are reading too much into that disclaimer.

PlatStrat

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure this is reading too much into it. I believe the wording is meant to indicate you need a PS5 and PSVR2 in order to play that game. Given that the game isn't announced for PC I don't see why it would disprove PC support officially or unofficially

PolarisWaves

Banned
Feb 17, 2022
Well, it's not like any other VR device is compatible with PlayStation lol. I find surprisingly weird that someone expected PC support for this…

Dec 15, 2017
I assumed so. They will want games for it purchased from the Playstation Store.

Wouldn't putting it on PC basically gaurantee no game revenue for them while presumably taking a loss on hardware?

Red Kong XIX

Oct 11, 2020
Wasn't that obvious? How would they recoup cost of the hardware losses on PC without their own storefront?

Only two ways to solve this:
1. Create your own storefront where you get royalties from software sales for PSVR2
or
2. Give the hardware a price tag that makes it profitable on its own, no matter where its used

Number 2 is very unrealistic imo, they would need to price it above a PS5, which would hurt sales. A dedicated storefront would be more likely, but I don't think they have plans for this atm. The PC audience is very loyal to Steam and is not to keen on new storefronts.

ZeroCoin

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah....really looks like people are reading way too much into the phrasing. A PS5 game has PSVR2 functionality, and the disclaimer says that you need a PS5 and a PSVR2 to experience that extra functionality. Go read the store pages for other games with VR and you'll read basically the same thing about what hardware is required to play the full experience. It's a CYA.

Dec 23, 2017
The only problem is if they sell the hardware at a loss, which is likely. I could see them officially supporting it in a year or so once they have their own software ported to Steam/drive down COGS on the headset.

A PC port of Astrobot would be pretty cool. :)

I think they have other VR exclusives as well, like RIGS, but it got shutdown at one point right?

Status
Not open for further replies.