• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

_zoipi

One Winged Slayer
Nov 23, 2017
Madrid
With the rerelease of that JRPG on Switch i'm kinda curious. I'm still salty enough that it was announced at Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem and went silent for two years to deliver a game and was so, so unappealing with combats that made nearlly no sense or the structure of the game, filled with with, as i told to a friend "What westerners think anime really is: cute girls screaming and being creepily sexy even if they're in ages they shouldn't be doing that, weaboo shit for people that claims that editing costumes is 'censorship' and have neckbeard and wear ahegao clothes to Anime Expo, that unironically say 'She's a 45328973273280934e10 years old subdemonalgen with a abit of Gundam and ninja dressed as a first year highschooler' "

I've seen some people saying it was good but whith vague terms, maybe because it was Twitter conversations...

So, anyone that has played and can recommend it. Take all your time to explain, i'll read all your text walls. Tell me what i'm missing and if i'm losing a lot. Just in point: i like animes and JRPGs, but i doln't like when they enter in the "crap NISA licensed for the PS3 because there was virtually no JRPGs aside from Final Fantasy so they could bring any shit up outside of Japan than only weebs with low level expectations can tolerate".

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"What westerners think anime really is: cute girls screaming and being creepily sexy even if they're in ages they shouldn't be doing that, weaboo shit for people that claims that editing costumes is 'censorship' and have neckbeard and wear ahegao clothes to Anime Expo, that unironically say 'She's a 45328973273280934e10 years old subdemonalgen with a abit of Gundam and ninja dressed as a first year highschooler' "
Pretty sure you've already made up your mind on this.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
I'm not sure I'd call it a legit good game, but I played half of it on the Wii U, and it wasn't anything like you describe it. At least the censored Western version. Pretty wholesome I thought.

Seedy87

Jan 4, 2018
as i told to a friend "What westerners think anime really is: cute girls screaming and being creepily sexy even if they're in ages they shouldn't be doing that, weaboo shit for people that claims that editing costumes is 'censorship' and have neckbeard and wear ahegao clothes to Anime Expo, that unironically say 'She's a 45328973273280934e10 years old subdemonalgen with a abit of Gundam and ninja dressed as a first year highschooler' "

You already seemed to have formed an opinion about it, so I'm not sure anyone's going to be able to change your mind...

Sep 25, 2018
With the rerelease of that JRPG on Switch i'm kinda curious. I'm still salty enough that it was announced at Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem and went silent for two years to deliver a game and was so, so unappealing with combats that made nearlly no sense or the structure of the game, filled with with, as i told to a friend "What westerners think anime really is: cute girls screaming and being creepily sexy even if they're in ages they shouldn't be doing that, weaboo shit for people that claims that editing costumes is 'censorship' and have neckbeard and wear ahegao clothes to Anime Expo, that unironically say 'She's a 45328973273280934e10 years old subdemonalgen with a abit of Gundam and ninja dressed as a first year highschooler' "

I've seen some people saying it was good but whith vague terms, maybe because it was Twitter conversations...

So, anyone that has played and can recommend it. Take all your time to explain, i'll read all your text walls. Tell me what i'm missing and if i'm losing a lot. Just in point: i like animes and JRPGs, but i doln't like when they enter in the "crap NISA licensed for the PS3 because there was virtually no JRPGs aside from Final Fantasy so they could bring any shit up outside of Japan than only weebs with low level expectations can tolerate".

cant Sell you on it since I haven't played it in a while but I definitely love it and beat it

it's a solid game

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's been a while since I've played eith SMTIV/A or TMS but I'm not sure how the combat system doesn't make sense from the perspective of a SMT x FE game?

It's all about exploiting weaknesses to do extra damage and gain the advantage, with FE's weapon triangle playing a central role.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
kinda feels like you just wanted to show everyone your epic take on it and you've already made up your mind

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
It plays a lot like the Persona games, but with sidequests instead of a calendar system and more J-Pop. Instead of high school students, you have young adults at a Japanese media company (idols, singers, and actors). It has a fun LVing system where you equip weapons and eventually learn their abilities & passives. There's a Press Turn-like system where you do combos with multiple characters. It's very good. If you like Persona 4 and 5, you'll probably really like this one too.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Gameplay is good turn-based RPG action. Setpieces and dungeons are colorful and interesting. Beautiful UI and menus. Idol setting is obviously important to the story (and technically the gameplay, but they weave it in a cool way) in a way that being in school is important to the Persona story, if that makes sense.

Basically, if you like Fire Emblem and JRPGs, check it out.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
It's weird that you seem to already be so against the game, demanding reams of text about why you should like it instead, and yet can't really articulate reasons why you personally don't like it beyond "I don't understand the combat" and "weeaboos like it."

If your concern is specifically that the only kinds of people who like this game are also the kinds of people that complain about the "censorship" of teen sexualization, don't be. Lots of people who don't mind the localization changes Nintendo made still enjoyed the game. The Polygon review of the original is probably the best distillation of what people like about the game, as well as what they don't like.

But also, you are 100% free to decide you don't like it, and I'm not really sure what your goal was here. You seem pretty dead set in your opinions.

Call me YHWH

Oct 26, 2017
these 'sell me on this thing' topics are really weird to me. why do you want people to convince you to like something you clearly aren't super interested in? read some reviews, watch some gameplay, talk to people in the OT.

you've already got some bias against this particular title, clearly. is this a sideways way to talk bad about people who like it?

Rei no Otaku

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Cranston RI
This is one of my favorite games and I came in here ready to explain why. After reading that OP I'm not going to bother. Get off your high horse and just go play something else. You don't deserve to play this game.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Eh, just be honest that you are interested but thinks it's a typical anime fanservice game which you are afraid of playing? (which it isn't btw.)

It's just a RPG with a good battle system, idol soundtrack and some wholesome stories. It also looks good enough and has Fire Emblem and Shin Megami Tensei characters in it. Just play it and get over that shit attitude.

these 'sell me on this thing' topics are really weird to me. why do you want people to convince you to like something you clearly aren't super interested in? read some reviews, watch some gameplay, talk to people in the OT.

you've already got some bias against this particular title, clearly. is this a sideways way to talk bad about people who like it?

Yeah I never get these either. Like..live your own life and decide for yourself if you are interested. If you are embarrased playing a game which has idol characters in it...fine?

Tangeroo

Oct 26, 2017
My favorite part of this whole thread is that OP is clearly a Persona fan and he's worried that Tokyo Mirage Session is weeb shit. No offense OP (and I say this as a fan of both), but real talk...

luhf9hT.jpg

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My favorite part of this whole thread is that OP is clearly a Persona fan and he's worried that Tokyo Mirage Session is weeb shit. No offense OP (and I say this as a fan of both), but real talk...

luhf9hT.jpg
haven't played TMS but I doubt it's anywhere near as awful as Persona 5. The stuff that game does to Ann and Futaba is infuriating and if the OP wrote his epic ownage tirade while being a Persona 5 fan then I'm out of words.

bombermouse

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for making this thread, I'm on the same boat.

Seems you tickled a bone on some users. I'd also love to know if this is too "anime" or not.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
If you're not remotely into JPop and the idol scene you'll probably find the setting a bit daunting. I appreciate that while the series doesn't shy away from discussing the industry's seedy underbelly it, at least in the localized version, was fairly restrained rather than exploitative about it. It's actually a much more grounded storyline than the concept would suggest, at least at first, and it's certainly better written and localized than the newest Persona is.

Would I recommend it to you, OP? Probably not. It gets close enough to that creepy stuff that someone who's tired to seeing it in anime at all probably won't be able to stomach this game for very long.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
Reading that OP, I wouldn't want to exchange basic pleasantries with you, let alone sell you on something. Why should anyone do the work of combatting your preconceived notions and biases? LOL

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
I don't know why it's so hard for some of you to just say whether this game is full of creepy underage sexualization.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
I commend the OP for taking this moment to make their bold stand against that fake anime shit all you Westerners like.

Only REAL anime for the OP.

Like Fire Emblem, the series with a child that's actually a 9000 year old dragon.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The battle system is quite good. Dungeon design is decent. The story is pretty dumb, and mostly completely glosses over how shitty the idol industry is in Japan. As far as 'anime bullshit' goes, the western release excised most of that.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

luhf9hT.jpg
Persona 5 is about 20 times more problematic and gross in regards to handling sensitive subject matter and objectification than TMS is, tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.