• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
New news, new thread.

Since this is being ignored in the existing KS update threads, here's another cherry on top of the Epic Games sundae.

ab348ee85cf865c98cc6e2189f71e423_original.png

Hope you didn't back the game to get the "Character Perspective System."

Because if you did, well...

We have provided... an explanation on differences between the stretch goals that were promised during the campaign and the actual elements implemented in the final version.

Some stretch goals that were reached during the campaign were not able to be implemented. There were also stretch goals not reached that were able to be implemented. Development began in line with the stretch goal content, but with the addition of sales partners during production, we were able to increase our development budget. In order to maximize game quality under the adjusted budget, game planning was fundamentally altered and ultimately allowed us to incorporate a number of different elements beyond our original expectations.

Character Perspective System (Implementation could not be achieved in this game.)

Can't achieve that stretch goal we promised you we'd deliver, but please look forward to purchasing our Season Pass. Thanks for that sweet, sweet money, though!

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
so there's one reached goal they didn't implement and like 10 unreached goals they did implement?

Tracker_TD

Oct 25, 2017
Bit harsh to lead with that instead of them implementing like 10 unreached stretch goals, innit.

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What was the Character Perspective System supposed to be exactly?

jml

Mar 9, 2018
I'm not gonna shit on them too much for this, it looks like they tried their best to implement all of the features they promised with stretch goals and that one just didn't work out. It's good that they're being upfront about it instead of having people find out after they download the game.

Oct 30, 2017
So they included things not in the stretch goals but didn't implement something that was in the stretch goal? Am I reading that correctly?

So the stretch goals are basically a Who's Line episode.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Did they ever explain what exactly the Character Perspective System would be?

Anyway, that's game dev I suppose. The fact that they've added in stretch goals that weren't reached makes up for it at least, and I;m glad they were up front about something being missing and not implemented.

Last edited:

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't even know what half of these features are, nor particularly care that much about the game, but that seems to be kinda "well okay whatever" compared to the fact that they added a bunch of features that weren't met in stretch goals above whatever that is.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
they implemented a bunch of stuff they didn't reach sooooo.
this happens in game dev sometimes
if anything you got more
people like you are why devs rather not say anything op

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Game development is tough and stretch goals can be a weird thing since you might not always account for them in the initial planning since you don't know how much you'll get. It sounds like they expanded the game in other ways at least.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, but they implemented other stuff in exchange, and, guess what...in development things get scrapped all the time. I doubt many people were bidding exactly for that reason.

--

Ah, glad to see people are not having it. There are definitely some things to complain about in this whole ordeal, but this ain't it.

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
Seriously? One thing didn't work out but they've been transparent enough to explain it and also say they've added a shit load of goals that weren't originally met? The dunking on Shenmue threads are really scraping the bottom of the barrel now.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's really not a big deal at all to me, but I'm glad they're transparent about it.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
There are a lot of seemingly good ideas that, when you try to implement them, turned out to be not a good idea at all and removing them would improve the overall product. Maybe this is one of those?

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think that's an issue with many Kickstarter stretch goals, they should remain within the scope of the original plan because adding stretch goals like this can really change the development schedule and planning.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
As a backer I hate all the Epic store crap they've pulled but this seems fair enough to me. Some things just don't work out in development and they more than made up for it with other features.

Calverz

Oct 28, 2017
yea thats not really a problem OP. Neither is the entitled pc player meltdowns either. They can still play the game.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Who would have thought that things could change in game development, even KS ones...

Rran

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I can't imagine making this thread and thinking, "This will go over well."

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This ain't it, there's plenty of things to point out but one stretch goal not being implemented is fairly innocuous I reckon.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
It's cool that they pretty much hit everything else, i'm sure dev of this has been hard.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Huh? So they did implement plenty of stuff that wasn't part of the plan as they hadn't reached those goals, but just couldn't squeeze one of the things reached in. Nah I can't give them shit for this.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I think stretch goals are dumb as a concept, at least when people take them as 100% guaranteed. Like with any investment, things can go south in any variety of ways. If it doesn't work out, the best you can hope for is the devs to be transparent, which they were.

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I promise there are enough real things in video games to be mad about. You don't have to go digging this hard.

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
Seriously? One thing didn't work out but they've been transparent enough to explain it and also say they've added a shit load of goals that weren't originally met? The dunking on Shenmue threads are really scraping the bottom of the barrel now.
Yeah I agree. I didn't even know what this was supposed to be.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Looks like they over-delivered on their original promise. Missed one thing but were able to achieve a whole lot more.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry Era, I was unable to implement Eight-Dimensional Input Cwrth Skill Bonderizing in my shitposts.

the7egend

Mar 6, 2018
So one goal they didn't implement vs. the numerous others that were unreached that they did. Seems like they tried to implement everything despite not hitting their goals. Seems like this is just trying to stir up more crap over the game after the whole Epic Store thing.

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
Just a heads up for those who don't know what it is here's Yu Suzuki talking about it in an interview:

-- I get it (laugh). Could you explain the 5 million dollar stretch goal; the character perspective system?
YS: That is where the player will take control of characters like Shenhua and Ren instead of Ryo.

-- At a certain point in the game will we be able to change characters freely?
YS: I can't talk about details yet, so I will just say that it's not necessarily like we are letting you control the other characters exactly like Ryo.

-- So it's not like you can just change characters at will.
YS: The personality of Ren and Shenhua is different from Ryo, so even if they see the same thing the reactions would be different. When you played as Ryo it was his decisions, but playing as Ren and Shenhua would make it very interesting.

Basically a system that sounds like you'd be able to participate as other characters like Shenhua and Ren. Not necessarily play as them but maybe see things from their perspective or make dialogue choices for them? Hard to say but whatever it was didn't work out which is completely understandable.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
Looks like they more than made up for it, you fucked up OP.

There's a real discussion to be had about stretch goals that are gameplay related though, especially in such a big project (by Kickstarter standards). They shouldn't really be a thing IMO as games change so much during development.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Wait for OP to only reply to posts either agreeing with him or calling out the Shenmue devs for the Steam stuff (which was shitty and worthy of giving them shit, but there are other threads for that).

addik

Oct 28, 2017
Someone please explain to me why I should be outraged that they couldn't implement one feature, changed an area but implemented features initially promised, while implementing a whole gamut of unfulfilled stretch goals?

Aztorian

Jan 3, 2018
Gamers: You removed one feature, but added like 7 more, but you initially promised just the one you removed? HOW DARE YOU? Epic is Shit. Tell me lies tell me sweet little lies.

Matesamo

Nov 1, 2017
Rhode Island
Man I have never seen a community go nuts about a game like I have this one, this thread will be referred to for years as a classic EraHotTakeThread. I mean really...

Deleted member 1003

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry brah, the pitchfork ain't coming out for that. Try again.

I mean, they implemented features from goals that were not reached during the campaign. That has nothing to do with EGS.

Status
Not open for further replies.