• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
I'm losing confidence in the US being a reliable ally as time goes by.

I can't predict the future, but I can at least try to guess what it will look like 5 or 10 years from now. I could be way off, and the future ain't set. But some signs are happening now and they can't be ignored.

The US is walking on a thin line right now. In just 3 years, Trump and his corrupt friends of the GOP have attacked democracy and it feels more fragile now than ever. At least 40% of Americans are still fine with Trump, a racist, corrupt sexual predator that wants to become a dictator. He's way closer to this goal than most people think. He's not liked by the majority, but it is still probably enough to win the next elections, with all the fuckery and disinformation they are going to use, the electoral college, Russia's help and the weak democrat candidates.

I'm not suggesting, yet, that the US could invade Canada in the future, although we never know what could happen 20 or 30 years from now if Americans don't straight things up. But they could bring us to our knees politically and financially to break our progressive views and democratic institutions. It is a very real possibility. Am I going crazy to think we could end up being like the Baltic States, or countries falling under Russia or China's pressures? And what can we do about it?

Better safe than sorry.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
This thread is peak Era absurdity.

One, there is zero reason to think the US would ever invade Canada (your reasoning is ludicrous). Two, Canada currently doesn't even want to spend enough on its military to help the US effectively defend them (Canada) if they ever had to.

Last edited:

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I'm sure a decent chunk of Canadians would welcome it if Trump did it. I know far too many Canadian Trump supporters, the type who.. if you mention anything about Trump they will lose their god damn minds. I'm sure they'd fight you if given the chance.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Protect itself from the US how lol. Even if your baseless fear was true what should they do?

If the US wants Canadian water in the 2038 resource wars, they'll be able to take it.

Ahhthe90s

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm losing confidence in the US being a reliable ally as time goes by.

I can't predict the future, but I can at least try to guess what it will look like 5 or 10 years from now. I could be way off, and the future ain't set. But some signs are happening now and they can't be ignored.

The US is walking on a thin line right now. In just 3 years, Trump and his corrupt friends of the GOP have attacked democracy and it feels more fragile now than ever. At least 40% of Americans are still fine with Trump, a racist, corrupt sexual predator that wants to become a dictator. He's way closer to this goal than most people think. He's not liked by the majority, but it is still probably enough to win the next elections, with all the fuckery and disinformation they are going to use, the electoral college, Russia's help and the weak democrat candidates.

I'm not suggesting, yet, that the US could invade Canada in the future, although we never know what could happen 20 or 30 years from now if Americans don't straight things up. But they could bring us to our knees politically and financially to break our progressive views and democratic institutions. It is a very real possibility. Am I going crazy to think we could end up being like the Baltic States, or countries falling under Russia or China's pressures? And what can we do about it?

Better safe than sorry.

Jesus Christ, get a hold of yourself.

zbon

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto!
Canada can kill two birds with one stone by having some kind of independent defense capacity, US 'threat' or not.

OP
OP
Pomerlaw

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018

One, there is zero reason to think the US would ever invade Canada (your reasoning is ludicrous). Two, Canada currently doesn't even want to spend enough on its military to help the US effectively defend them (Canada) if they ever had to.
Protect itself from the US how lol. Even if your baseless fear was true what should they do?

If the US wants Canadian water in the 2038 resource wars, they'll be able to take it.
God this forum really is looney toons isn't it

I said military invasion to be a really remote possibility in the future.

Aren't you guys aware there is already a disinformation war against democratic institutions by foreign countries like Russia? It is real and already happening right now.

Yeah I may be a looney toon but you guys sounds like you have your heads in the sand?

iRAWRasaurus

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
In before the lock, and if us really wanted Canada resources, welp you guys took parts from an museum aircraft for your military awhile ago. Enough said.

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario

Ever? That's hella naive

We're done hre

DrewFu

Banned
Apr 19, 2018

Aren't you guys aware there is already a disinformation war against democratic institutions by foreign countries like Russia? It is real and already happening right now.

Yeah I may be a looney toon but you guys sounds like you have your heads in the sand?
Bro, step away from the keyboard for a while. Maybe get some fresh air. It's Saturday - why are you worrying about the US invading Canada?

DrewFu

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
I always though you were kind of dense, but forget the military invasion for a moment and read my other points.
Bro, you've made a thread about the US invading Canada - you shouldn't be calling anyone dense, my dude. Russian misinformation campaigns aren't going to make the US invade Canada. Get a fucking grip.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017

I don't know how you jump from Russian interference to the US invading it's closest ally and that is also a NATO and NAFTA partner

zbon

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto!
Are the incredulous people in this thread even Canadians? I don't personally see the threat, but I have encountered a few people in my own life who actually do (i advise them to bury rifles in their backyard). Maybe it's Trump whiplash or something.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
Wasn't there some thread on here a while back about how the US should go ahead and annex Canada or something?

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
God this forum really is looney toons isn't it

AnNx92P.gif

OP
OP
Pomerlaw

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
Bro, you've made a thread about the US invading Canada. You shouldn't be calling anyone dense, my dude. Russian misinformation campaigns aren't going to make the US invade Canada. Get a fucking grip.

You don't need to military invade to affect a country. Look what Russia was able to do to the US.

YOU should get a grip and realize your country is influenced right now by foreign agents and has corrupt leadership! Even your own intelligent agencies are saying it.

What would prevent the US do to the same to Canada and affect us politically?

Silvon

Mar 18, 2018
I'd be more worried about US media invading Canada. Wasn't there talks that the new NAFTA may open up Canada to US media companies?

svacina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes OP, it's coming soon.
YlQQDkc.jpg

INVEST IN TRANSISTORS!

I can't believe nobody referenced it before.

signal

Oct 28, 2017

Should countries protect themselves from outside influence - yes. I hope they are already doing this.

DrewFu

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
You don't need to military invade to affect a country. Look what Russia was able to do to the US.

YOU should get a grip and realize your country is influenced right now by foreign agents and has corrupt leadership! Even your own intelligent agencies are saying it.

Canada is the US' second largest trading partner - they aren't going to try to destroy Canada financially or any other way. Seriously dude, take a step back and realize how fucking ridiculous this thread is.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017

The US would have literally nothing to gain and a lot to lose.

Lo-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
New Yawk City!
This is more of a 19th century concern, considering the difficult relationships between America and Britain, especially in the War of 1812. I also recognize that experience can linger, especially in the core history of Canada.

That said, I don't think this is a realistic concern today and I'll tell you as an American, we really don't talk about invading Canada. If a science fiction or future history medium (the Fallout game series for example) depicts such a takeover, it's almost exclusively portrayed as a negative decision. I think the most realistic ways we influence policy in Ottawa are already evident: you buy our aerospace and defense products, drive a lot of our cars, and trade heavily with us in other ways.

I absolutely agree with how you depict Donald Trump's influence and effects especially on the Republican Party. But I'm exasperated at how often I hear this from people living in countries facing exactly these problems - a plurality or your fellow Canadians were happy to support Stephen Harper as he moved the Tories to the right over three terms.

Ontario was apparently happy, at least at first, with the reactionary and hypocritical behavior of the Ford brothers. French members of Era talk about Trump but won't volunteer how offensive and destructive the mainstream French attitude was towards Algeria when it was under Paris' control, or French of Algerian descent today. The infatuation with the racism of Le Pen in France, AfD in Germany and its effect on the mainstream right. England accepting a nationalist Tory campaign earlier this week, while Americans are using the ballot to push back against Trumpism at almost every opportunity.

Thanks for your contribution, but maybe mind your own house too.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
US conservatives have already pulled Canadian conservatives further to the right.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
"Peak era absurdity"... Pretty sure some of those central and south american countries thought the same thing before US policy fucked them over, over decades and now that the population is fleeing violence, a part of which can directly be attributed to the US's said policies, they are being caged and a few killed in US custody.

So, no, I do not believe it to be beyond the realm of possibility that US would invade Canada, especially for country that values the almighty dollar over all else. Remember that Canada has the largest reserves of fresh water and the Northwest Passage.

However, I do believe that a more insidious and plausible act for US would be influence Canadian policies that brings us closer, ideologically with the degenerate right wing ultra capitalists, gun and jaysus loving folks of the US. If anyone was paying close attention to scum that was Andrew Scheer, they would have noticed just how much milk chugging dipshit wanted Canada to adopt religious freedom bills, further privatization of healthcare and gun rights akin to the american second amendment.

Yea, Canadians should fear China's and Russia's influence but the right leaning US government are no angels. Lest we forget those right wing degenerates house the world's largest military (well more like mercenary given what Trump had commented) and not so insignificant mercenary force (who have murdered people abroad and have media machines powering their defense in America).

Oct 31, 2017
Unknown
I hear you. I hear you. It's been the lifetime of a millennial since a Canadian hockey team won the Stanley Cup and I understand the source of your frustration, but this is too far.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
Canada is one of the few places in the world that stands to be more livable in the hellscape future we're barreling towards. Once the US starts trending towards uninhabitability they're almost certainly going to invade, and there's nothing Canada is going to be able to do to stop them.

rebelcrusader

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is more of a 19th century concern, considering the difficult relationships between America and Britain, especially in the War of 1812. I also recognize that experience can linger, especially in the core history of Canada.

That said, I don't think this is a realistic concern today and I'll tell you as an American, we really don't talk about invading Canada. If a science fiction or future history medium (the Fallout game series for example) depicts such a takeover, it's almost exclusively portrayed as a negative decision. I think the most realistic ways we influence policy in Ottawa are already evident: you buy our aerospace and defense products, drive a lot of our cars, and trade heavily with us in other ways.

I absolutely agree with how you depict Donald Trump's influence and effects especially on the Republican Party. But I'm exasperated at how often I hear this from people living in countries facing exactly these problems - a plurality or your fellow Canadians were happy to support Stephen Harper as he moved the Tories to the right over three terms.

Ontario was apparently happy, at least at first, with the reactionary and hypocritical behavior of the Ford brothers. French members of Era talk about Trump but won't volunteer how offensive and destructive the mainstream French attitude was towards Algeria when it was under Paris' control, or French of Algerian descent today. The infatuation with the racism of Le Pen in France, AfD in Germany and its effect on the mainstream right. England accepting a nationalist Tory campaign earlier this week, while Americans are using the ballot to push back against Trumpism at almost every opportunity.

Thanks for your contribution, but maybe mind your own house too.
Speak for yourself

The plans are up to date and ready to go

I just need to get the call

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Getting past how absurd this is, they are White, so we would have no reason to invade

Lexad

Nov 4, 2017
Let's say for a moment in some insane reality the us does invade, what military in Canada would stand up to the US military

Deleted member 8674

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Please don't say "zero reason" when your president is Trump.

Status
Not open for further replies.