• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should Nintendo embrace Steam Deck and release their games on Steam? [NOT DAY AND DATE]

• YES

Votes: 114 28.8%
  • NO

Votes: 260 65.7%
  • IDK

Votes: 22 5.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Of course not day and date but the market is there. Most PC players don't enter the console ecosystem (but still purchase PC additions like the Steam Deck, etc...) so there is an untapped pool of cash Nintendo can dip into.

They can still sell their Switch console but also have the option for games to be sold on Steam (years after) and then have those PC users be able to play it also on the Steam Deck as well.

Therefore not killing their hybrid concept while still embracing more platforms. Maybe even Mobile as well for some less intensive games?

Kazer

Oct 27, 2017
I wish. Release them on PC so they can be played at a decent res and frame rate.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
why, they sell more in 1 week than Steam Deck has since launch

this is just a convoluted way of saying you want their games on PC

HOTSPUR

Oct 25, 2017
Hell at this point everyone should embrace PC. Doubt it will happen anytime soon though I'd love to be wrong.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would like to play these games at higher resolution and framerates so yes but I know it won't happen. Yuzu will have to do.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Dont really care much for Steam deck but I would love Nintendo games to come out on Steam.

Moreso their legacy titles.

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, they should. But even in the modern era of video games where Microsoft and Sony are both releasing their games on PC and even Sony getting closer and closer to day and date. I still don't see a parallel dimension that exists in the great multiverse where Nintendo releases their games on PC.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I would love if they did. Nintendo is the last holdout to put their stuff on PC, and having more choice of platforms for their games benefits everyone.

They won't though.

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
The only way Nintendo is releasing games on PC is if they are forced by EU, or by their shareholders. Nintendo doesn't really see a need for releasing on PC and having to spending money and resources on making their engines work on PC.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
As a consumer, yes, I would love for all games to be released in a platform-agnostic way.

If I was Nintendo, though, obviously not, because extended exclusivity is the only way I've managed to survive as long as I have.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
Yes, of course. It makes the most sense. Nintendo is really on their last legs and have nowhere else to turn.

OP
OP
TheRealTalker

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
why, they sell more in 1 week than Steam Deck has since launch

this is just a convoluted way of saying you want their games on PC
I have a Switch and I purchase Nintendo's games for generations. Though I would double dip if it was available on Steam like how I would do the same for other platforms per specific game.

Even though I'd likely maintain most of my purchases on the Nintendo platform as I like to keep my library together on the respective platforms.

This is about other consumers that Nintendo can tap into. One's that won't enter the console market.

As I stated in the OP, there is an untapped market that Nintendo can get money from and expand their audience even farther without losing their current console sales and game sales they already have.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
As a consumer, I would love it and believe they should. From a business perspective? Probably not. Nintendo is their first party games, they don't have a massive third party army that carries their platform like PlayStation/Xbox do.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
All games should be everywhere, there'd be very few downsides, if any, for consumers.

Nintendo won't. Keeping their games exclusive on their relatively cheap/affordable hardware is of a benefit to them.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
That would be nice, but they don't really need to. Their strategy has been working very, VERY well for them.

PettySpirit

Dec 23, 2018
All Nintendo has is their first party games. They aren't gonna put them on any other platform.

Would be cool to live in that world tho.

Storminormin

Jan 14, 2018
Sure I'd like it.
But it will never ever ever happen. Nintendo is the type of company that wouldn't do this, even as a last resort.

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, yeah, sure. It's also more likely they stop releasing their games in the US at all and release only in Japan because they're Nintendo, than do this. But yeah, I'd prefer it.

OP
OP
TheRealTalker

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
All Nintendo has is their first party games. They aren't gonna put them on any other platform.

Would be cool to live in that world tho.
Nintendo has a ton of 3rd party support on the Switch. On top of that like with Xbox and PS, I doubt their game sales on their platform/hardware would decline if they released (old) games to PC. It is another market entirely with some overlap but not enough to diminish either platform.

Both can flourish as shown with Nintendo's competitors.

SunshinePuppies

One Winged Slayer
Nov 14, 2020
i mean yes? obviously this is a net positive for customers

of course they won't do it anytime soon though

Katmeister

Banned
May 1, 2021
I feel like the amount of people interested in console-like approach to PC gaming but not interested in actual consoles is extremely low. So its very weird you'd specifiy "Steam Deck" when the Deck is like the only device competing device for the Switch

I think if Nintendo put games out on PC it would be through their own launcher.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
oh-wait-youre-serious.gif

They won't, and they have good reason not to

OP
OP
TheRealTalker

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like Nintendo isn't doing it not because it would cause a loss in their hardware/software sales but because of the necessary logistics in setting up a team that would support another platform.

Though Nintendo may eventually do so in a decade or so much like how they started doing a sub service, online, etc...

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
There's no reason I'd want my games on less platforms so I'd love it if they did sure, but I don't think there's a hope in hell of it happening. Would love to be proven wrong though.

Aug 4, 2021
I don't see them even thinking about the steam deck let alone embracing it.

With that said, I would love for Nintendo to build a virtual console independent of hardware. Have a service that can play on whatever console they bring out with options to play on pc or streaming.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
the same Nintendo that doesn't understand the community in general?

Bonfires Down

Nov 2, 2017
Yes, they should. But they are extremely successful doing what they do so they won't. Maybe if their luck changes but I can't see that happening anytime soon.

GooZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
let's change up stuff here at Nintendo to have people not buy our switches and miss out on more revenue

Sounds like a bad business plan if you ask me

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
No, it's silly to suggest honestly

It's not like their games stop selling at full price and they aren't diversified like Sony and MS

the same Nintendo that doesn't understand the community in general?
Not giving you what you want doesn't mean they don't understand, they're clearly very in touch with what gamers like. Their actions are an informed choice

OrigamiPirate

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
San Francisco
Would I like them to? Absolutely.

Should they, based on their business of exclusivity? Nope. Better performance on non-Nintendo devices… sales of Switches would dry up fast.

TonyBaduy

Oct 11, 2020
Mexico
Considering their exclusive evergreen titles keep moving their consoles, why would they? If people want their software they'll buy a Switch along with MK8D, Zelda and other games, at full price (unless there is a rare discount). Basically, if their games keep selling multiple millions (or tens of millions) while pushing their hardware, they have no reason to port anything to PC. Maybe old games, like having a NSO retro games launcher for PC, but not necessarily anything put on Steam. Now, if we were talking about this during the Wii U era I believe a ton of people may have considered it'd be a good idea to port them, because the Wii U really constrained their sales' potential, but the Switch not so much, at all.

Deleted member 12867

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wish but I don't think it ever happens. They don't even do the bare minimum like releasing classics on mobile.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like Nintendo isn't doing it not because it would cause a loss in their hardware/software sales but because of the necessary logistics in setting up a team that would support another platform.

Though Nintendo may eventually do so in a decade or so much like how they started doing a sub service, online, etc...
I think if you look at the mobile strategy, Nintendo just doesn't agree.

There's a huge audience of people that would play, say, NES and Game Boy games on their phones. People who would never consider purchasing a Switch or a modern console, but would throw a lot of money at mobile copies of Pokemon or Zelda or what have you, and it'd be a relatively cheap process.

But they've been in the mobile space for half a decade and only ever produced games directly for that platform. Retro ports are a no-go. If you want Nintendo games, you buy a Nintendo platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.