• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kanethered

May 29, 2019
I'm not trying to lit the console war stuff here, just genuinely concerning for PS5. When Microsoft is releasing almost all the information about their next-generation hardware and introducing new neat technologies such as VRS and Direct ML, Sony seems unusually less confident and sticks to ambiguity.

Last Thursday, Phil Spencer shared his thought and impression on the previous presentation by Mark Cerny, and I don't know why, but I felt this something like a declaration of victory in the design competition.

How do you guys think?

TronLight

Jun 17, 2018
Yep, no developer is going to make a game on PS5, even sony's first parties have moved on XBox. Sony royally fucked up

Edify

Oct 28, 2017
It's not my job to be concerned. It's Sony's job to try and sell me a console.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
You mean the same consoles devs seem to be very excited about? Sony is silent because they're yet to have their consumer reveal.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Different strategies, that's all it is
It's not a game of reacting to the competition at every single move, especially as the market leader
The console will have it's proper reveal when they're ready to do so

Mr. Genuine

Mar 23, 2018
As long as it is a functioning computer that plays the same kinds of games that are usually on Playstation machines, I'll be fine with it.

nbnt

Oct 26, 2017
Yes, be worried, be very worried. I think the age of Sony is done, and the PS5 will be the last Playstation.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think the philosophy of their approach is catastrophically bad (like the Xbox One pre-release), so it just comes down to waiting and seeing how what each system has prioritised shakes out.

Can't do more than that yet, since we don't have the prices, games, blah blah.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think the "fucked up" moreso that Microsoft and Nintendo ain't goofing around like they were with the XBox One and Wii U. Both companies look a lot sharper these days.

Sony has never really been able to dominate anywhere near as easily when their competitors are not making a lot of self inflicted mistakes.

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
Nothing of the PS5 specs really looked bad. I think the Series X overall has better hardware but the margin is tiny so I think neither company has fucked up.

This kinda smells like console warz ngl, mostly cause you mention part of this feeling being attributed to Phil Spencer.

Deleted member 10193

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean look at PS3. It was a disaster and they managed to pull it back and end up the gen with similar lifetime sales to 360.

If they can do that with $599 console that launched late and was difficult to develop for then you have nothing to worry about.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Until we see some games, its hard to say they messed up. They have certainly dropped the ball compared to MS but then MS needed to come out strong anyway. Sony won't have the easy time this generation around, since MS have finally sorted out what they needed to do.

To say that Sony could never mess up is also wrong. They could have easily gone their own direction and are now playing catchup to MS but until we get that systems side by side with games to see, nothing is known.

I hope they both launch this year, just so we can shut down all this pointless back and forwards console waring.

Cutty

Oct 31, 2017
Lol what is this. Honestly, just wait. We're in a worldwide crisis and we're probably not going to get traditional consumer-friendly briefings and coverage on the PS5 for a little while longer than was probably intended. It doesn't mean their whole console is a launch disaster.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, they clearly have no idea what they're doing. Let's just forget the fact that they've dominated the industry for the past 25 years.

Desfrog

Oct 29, 2017
Third parties are loving the hardware according to Schrier. Nothing to be worried about.

FusionNY

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo revealed the switch with a 3 minute trailer 6 months from launch. They were then completely silent until like 7 weeks from release. Just because Sony is staying quiet relative to the competition doesn't mean they've fucked up.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
tenor.gif

Ikuu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why would you worry about this, if the PS5 is trash then don't buy it.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
I'm going to wait until the games are shown before I make any hard calls. With Horizon 2, Spider-Man 2 and God of War 2 coming though, I think Sony will be alright.

Kolibri

Nov 6, 2017
Maybe wait until we know what games are coming?
Specs being marginally lower makes zero difference to me, as long as I have fun stuff to play.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Sony isn't releasing more information because it is pointless. You can rest assured their launch capacity is already sold out, for that, they didn't need to do anything but tell people a PS5 was coming. That means they should save actual information on closer to launch to convince people that won't be able to get a console until a couple of more months later.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not trying to lit the console war stuff here, just genuinely concerning for PS5. When Microsoft is releasing almost all the information about their next-generation hardware and introducing new neat technologies such as VRS and Direct ML, Sony seems unusually less confident and sticks to ambiguity.

Last Thursday, Phil Spencer shared his thought and impression on the previous presentation by Mark Cerny, and I don't know why, but I felt this something like a declaration of victory in the design competition.

How do you guys think?
If by "fucked up" you mean a generation with another 100+ million consoles sold and once again having the most games overall with incredible 1st party exclusives..... then yes.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The last thing I am is worried about it. If it's bad, which it very well could be, I'll just continue to not be overly interested in buying it.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
And with this, today's quota of "PS5 is doomed" threads is done. See y'all tomorrow.

Klokwerk

Oct 29, 2017
Smells like bullshit console war thread. OP post history looks bad too with a lot of "concerns" about PS5.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
It is just that Microsoft is doing things better. We don´t know for sure what is happening behind the curtains.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
I would imagine they will reveal it showing off the bluepoint games and more. Confirming backwards compatibility with older hardware as well would be mind blowing.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
if they have fucked up then i won't buy a PS5. don't really care what they do to be honest. if i don't need to spend money on a console then i'm quite happy with that. if they make some games worth picking up a PS5 then i'm happy with that too.

i'm just not worried. competition is good. if sony have goofed up then it'll only keep them on their toes and push them to do better.

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
At the end of the day, Naughty Dog is doing jaw dropping visuals on a 1.8tf PS4. PS5 is over 5x that without factoring in things like the SSD. They're going to be fine.

Dec 8, 2018

How do you guys think?

Ahhhh for fucks sake we already have several threads with people concert trolling in them no we need specific threads with it based on nothing but gut feelings.... So tired with this place.

Status
Not open for further replies.