• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
The Sankei News has published a report on Nintendo making their next big move in the video game market.
According to their report, Nintendo President Shuntaro Furukawa said during the recent strategy briefing that "(Nintendo) will create the demand in order to have each person own their very own Nintendo Switch".
This implies that in order for Nintendo to have multiple members of a household to own a Nintendo Switch, they will create an affordable option such as the Nintendo Switch Mini, which reportedly is portable and easier to bring out than Nintendo Switch.
The article also seems to suggest that the Nintendo Switch Mini will "replace" the Nintendo 3DS as the budget option of Nintendo systems, as Furukawa pointed out the 3DS market has been shrinking faster than they expected.

Source: https:///sankei-shuntaro-furukawa-further-hints-at-nintendo-switch-mini/

og sources:

http://blog.esuteru.com/archives/9271070.html
https://ga-m.com/n/nintendo-switch-jibun-souzou-mezasu/
https://www.sankei.com/economy/news/190218/ecn1902180005-n1.html

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
This is a speculative article based on the investor meeting from last month which we had threads for already.

aka complete non-news and also very misleading (false) headline

Deadpool_X

Oct 28, 2017
Indiana
The real news from this is this quote
The article also seems to suggest that the Nintendo Switch Mini will "replace" the Nintendo 3DS as the budget option of Nintendo systems, as Furukawa pointed out the 3DS market has been shrinking faster than they expected.

3ds is finally coming to an end.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
I mean that's a bit of stretch considering the quote itself. That could also just mean a price cut to bring it down to typical handheld prices.

plusaflag

User requested ban
Banned
Jan 7, 2019
Nowhere does Furukawa explicitely refer to a smaller Switch.
That's the interpretation of the author of the article.

TheZjman

Banned
Nov 22, 2018
I was thinking about this yesterday, and i really think the current switch design is perfect and i wouldn't ever want another variant of it. What are the reasons for people genuinely wanting a smaller one? The screen seems about as small as it can go for me now, without being difficult to play certain games. (Smash etc)

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Can you use the same account on multiple systems? Wouldn't mind having both a mini and a regular one.

Edit: aw, got my hopes up for nothing.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Not issues with a smaller Switch, offered without a dock for example, but for the novelty of the systems intention, it still needs to be dockable and the Joycons need to be detachable.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
(Nintendo) will create the demand in order to have each person own their very own Nintendo Switch
Wasn't this their plan from the beginning and part of the reason why they sold Switches seperately from docks in Japan? Nothing in this message implies a Switch Mini though.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
They'll pull a 2ds.
I expect cheap plastic and crappy screen though.
This makes a lot of sense business wise at this time of the switch life.

But if they hit the 199€ price point they'll sell buttloads with animal crossing and Pokemon.

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017
I don't doubt a revision of the Nintendo Switch might be in the works and soon to release. But this article is a huge stretch from his original quote. Seems like a case of confirmation bias.

On top of that your headline is a bit misleading considering the actual content of the post, this is merely speculation from a journalist based on information from 3 weeks ago.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Games like BotW aren't really the games I'm talking about. I want to play that on a TV. Think games like Hollow Knight and Octopath. Those are games I would love to play on a smaller handheld screen.
Hm...Personally I liked Hollow Knight on the Switch screen just fine. The only thing they could do would be to reduce the bezel by either making the screen larger or the device smaller. I don't se what the benefit of a smaller screen would be.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Personally I'm not after a smaller system. I'd like to see one the same size with a smaller screen bezel and possibly 4k compatible whether native or upscaled.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
Am I reading this correctly that at no point did Furukawa mention a Switch mini and it's just an assumption from NintendoSoup?

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
The ergonomics of a switch mini would have to be stellar to get me to reinvest.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I would so love a smaller Switch but it always ends up being discussed alongside making it handheld-only and I don't want that. Like, how small will it be to not even have USB-C, which is all that is needed to hook it up to a TV.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Am I reading this correctly that at no point did Furukawa mention a Switch mini and it's just an assumption from NintendoSoup?

Yeah, you're right. It's linking a more general comment he made to pure speculation about a Switch mini, to speculation that a Switch mini would be the manifestation of what he was talking about. But that's a bit of a leap.

TeHi & BuSp

Banned
Sep 28, 2018
I was thinking about this yesterday, and i really think the current switch design is perfect and i wouldn't ever want another variant of it. What are the reasons for people genuinely wanting a smaller one? The screen seems about as small as it can go for me now, without being difficult to play certain games. (Smash etc)
Smaller form factory, not cheap parts but premium screen and no joycon.. And we have the Deluxe version

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Hm...Personally I liked Hollow Knight on the Switch screen just fine. The only thing they could do would be to reduce the bezel by either making the screen larger or the device smaller. I don't se what the benefit of a smaller screen would be.

I think part of it is how I got used to playing certain genres. For example, every Metroidvania I ever played and loved I played on a handheld, even ones that originated on consoles. Playing them on a console feels less intimate to now. The only Metroidvania I ever played on a big screen was Momodora and I didn't play it as deeply as I would have because it wasn't in a format I prefer.

It's kind of like how I could never imagine playing an RTS or a building sim on anything other than PC. I take to certain genres better when I am closer to the screen with a certain style of control. It's just a personal preference, but it's a strong one.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
No no no no no no

Switch XL dammit, with larger and more useful Joy Con XLs.

Fudge, I'd rather have a Switch 4G before a Switch Mini.

I'm a tall fellow but have small, Donald Trump sized hands, and my hands are still too large for the regular Joy Cons. Who are these Picori scale people that could play a miniature Switch?!

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017
Lol this article could be talking about anything. He's just saying he wants everyone to have a Switch. Dropping the price could do the same thing lol. Theres going to be some kind of revision but this doesn't say anything about it.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Why are we entertaining this?

Nowhere did he ever say that.

kLkzIJX.jpg

"(Nintendo) will create the demand in order to have each person own their very own Nintendo Switch".

Can also be seen as

Everyone! Inform NintendoSoup!

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think part of it is how I got used to playing certain genres. For example, every Metroidvania I ever played and loved I played on a handheld, even ones that originated on consoles. Playing them on a console feels less intimate to now. The only Metroidvania I ever played on a big screen was Momodora and I didn't play it as deeply as I would have because it wasn't in a format I prefer.

It's kind of like how I could never imagine playing an RTS or a building sim on anything other than PC. I take to certain genres better when I am closer to the screen with a certain style of control. It's just a personal preference, but it's a strong one.
I..kind of get it..I guess? But comparing the differences in control schemes between PC and console with the size of a screens is a bit weird. I also barely played Hollow Knight on the TV and just in handheld mode (My Metroidvania frenzy started on the GBA SP with Metroid Fusion and Aria of Sorrow. Good times), but the Switch is handheld experience enough for me, it seems.

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
The best second Switch is the one that is fully compatible with the current docks and joy-cons at home. I think they will just release a Switch in a dockless bundle.

Status
Not open for further replies.