• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After playing fire emblem and astral chain I can safely say that silent protagonist need to be left in the past. It just gets Goofy with something serious happens and all your character does say nothing absolutely nothing. It's even worse when you have long cutscenes we're clearly the player character and another character are having a conversation but one person just talking . Especially in something like fire emblem where they have a voice actor for the main character but never use them for some reason I don't know. It just doesn't really work in story-based games.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
For some games it works, but yeah, in Astral Chain it looks pretty ridiculous

TheStebe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
London
Me personally there is always room for both a silent protagonist and a fully voiced one, but i agree that it can gripe some people

ara

Oct 26, 2017
For more cinematic games like Astral Chain I wholeheartedly agree

Alien Bob

Nov 25, 2017
I am pretty much the silent protagonist of my own life so I'm gonna have to need this to continue to be a thing, okay?

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Depends on the type of game for me. If its something like Fallout or Elder Scrolls that is RPG focused then I'd prefer no voice

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
mama, not only are silent protagonists the tea, the whole tea, and nothing but the tea, they're the whole goddam starbucks.

Kanann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, just shit up.

Not you OP, the characters, don't dare think or say anything without my permission, never!

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Depends on the game.
eY9eUy3.gif

Eppcetera

Mar 3, 2018
It works sometimes, but I generally believe that silent protagonists become less effective and more annoying if a series becomes more story-heavy. I don't need someone like Mario to spout a lot (or any, really) dialogue, and his silence is funny in games like Mario RPG and Mario & Luigi, but I was pissed off by the silent protagonist in Xenoblade X (no other Xeno game has one), and I view Byleth as inferior to the lords with actual dialogue.

Status
Not open for further replies.