• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
In 2007, Nancy Pelosi made history.

Nancy-Pelosi-Speaker-of-the-House-2007-2011_4_1.jpg

As the first female Speaker of the House, she presided over the most productive Congress since the Great Society. She passed a public option; a cap-and-trade bill; ended Don't Ask, Don't Tell; enshrined hate-crime protections for the LGBT community; and passed a bailout and stimulus to save the country from another depression. President Obama's achievements wouldn't have materialized without her legislative acumen and uncanny vote-counting abilities. She had no shutdowns, no rogue members showing their asses and holding her hostage - just good, solid legislating.

Even in the minority, she's demonstrated her skill, providing votes when ineffectual GOP Speakers (redundant) would have us default on the debt and enter an economic meltdown. In the first two years of Trump's presidency, she capitalized upon GOP divisions and got a number of liberal priorities included in an omnibus bill: increased funding for the arts, permission for the CDC to study gun violence, etc. Moreover, she ensured that not a single Democrat voted for the ACA repeal or Republican tax scam, maintaining party unity in the face of regressive legislation.

These achievements represent only a fraction of a storied career dedicated to progressive causes. Elected in 1987, she came to Congress intent on fighting AIDS and supporting LGBT people in- and outside her district:

She opposed normalizing trade relations with China because of its egregious human rights abuses and even protested in Tienanmen Square:
AI-AV301_PELOSI_G_20090521133640.jpg

She opposed the Defense of Marriage Act, the Iraq War, and ICE.

On the backbenches and in the highest echelon of leadership, she has striven to improve the lives of vulnerable people in this country and to pass the most progressive policy possible.

Now, in her second act as Speaker, she's gone even farther:

This troublemaker with a gavel is the highest-ranking female elected official in the nation's history and, on Thursday, Pelosi will also mark a personal milestone: her 80th birthday. Fittingly, it comes at the end of Women's History Month. Just as appropriately, Pelosi will be marking it by attempting a huge, complicated and vitally important legislative lift — marshaling support for a massive spending bill to blunt the impact of the coronavirus.

A few days after Trump's inauguration, his combative chief strategist Stephen K. Bannon took the measure of the then-House minority leader at a meeting in the White House dining room. Trump had begun the session by repeating his fantastical claim that he would have won the popular vote in 2016 had it not been for millions of fraudulent ballots cast on Hillary Clinton's behalf.

"There's no evidence to support what you just said," Pelosi said sharply. "And if we're going to work together, we have to stipulate to a certain set of facts."

"She's going to get us," Bannon whispered to colleagues. "Total assassin. She's a total assassin."

Not only has she spearheaded another raft of progressive legislation (albeit stymied by an evil Republican Senate) - the Equality Act, the Paycheck Fairness Act, universal background checks - she has also endeavored to check and defeat a lawless president. Since January 2019, Pelosi has been a thorn in Trump's side personally and legislatively. She routinely outmaneuvers Trump and McConnell in negotiations; she keeps her diverse, sometimes unruly caucus unified, even on grave matters such as impeachment; and she refuses to allow Trump's lies and distortions to pass unchallenged.

PelosiTrump101719.jpg

Quite a comeback for someone whose return to the Speakership was declared unlikely time and time again, no?

In short, she has become a leader for this moment. Does she always get it perfectly right? No. Has it taken some adjustment? Yes. But she continues to be a competent public servant who genuinely tries to help the American people - the complete antithesis of Trump and Trumpism. Moreover, her rise has set an example for all women, telling them that they can rise to the highest echelons in government, that they can shape public policy, that they can outsmart and outwork any dumbass man.

Happy birthday, Madam Speaker. May she keep her majority this November.

Last edited:

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know about some of those accomplishments, thanks for the thread.

Tankette

Oct 30, 2017
Oh, it's Pelosi's birthday today? Cool.

May you slay more of those that comes your way!

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
She's a fucking boss. I may have my issues with Pelosi, but the Speaker is an inherently thankless job, and for the most part, she's killing it.

If a Democrat gets elected president this year and the Senate flips along with it, she's gonna be the star of the show. Can't wait.

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
Wait she is 80 years old? I thought she would be in her late sixties. She aged gracefully.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I feel ashamed that at one time, not that long ago, I didn't want to see her running the House. Boy was I wrong. Been eating crow for months and months.

OP
OP
Autodidact

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
I feel ashamed that at one time, not that long ago, I didn't want to see her running the House. Boy was I wrong. Been eating crow for months and months.
I appreciate your willingness to reflect and grow. Thank you.
Wait she is 80 years old? I thought she would be in her late sixties. She aged gracefully.
Happiness and devotion to service keep you young. Hate makes you into an ugly booger goblin like Trump.

Cat Dad

Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait to see the work she does without a Senate majority leader and a President trying to hold her back.

Deleted member 28564

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Nancy Pelosi inspires confidence and I think she's exactly the person Democrats needed at this time. In another world, we could have gotten a Nancy Pelosi presidency after that whole ordeal.

OP
OP
Autodidact

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
Pelosi is trash, you stan a trash queen. Do better, flop.
How can you apply the word "flop" to someone who actually wins, though?
Is this a serious thread? This is fucking embarrassing.
Well... bye!
She's never run for president? Seems like she would someone that could smash that glass ceiling.
She knows she couldn't be elected president. She's only ever focused on the House.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
didn't know she was 80, thought she was way younger. Hope I age like that

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can we not? Like...can we just not reduce a person to a mascot with these garbage slay queen shit? Like forget everything else, this feels demeaning to Nancy herself by reducing her to a "slay queen" icon. It screams of sports mentality and reducing her.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Can we not? Like...can we just not reduce a person to a mascot with these garbage slay queen shit? Like forget everything else, this feels demeaning to Nancy herself by reducing her to a "slay queen" icon. It screams of sports mentality and reducing her.

Katy Perry's Eye of the Tiger but it's with the Giant Steps changes but it's sung by autotuned nancy pelosi voice clips

AppleMIX

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, she deserves way more recognition.

She is helping pass legislation and getting seats in congress.

OP
OP
Autodidact

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
Did you know that states that have implemented legislative term limits have also shown higher rates of corruption and inefficiency in government?
Nonsense. We need Speaker Newblood Freshface. Never mind that term limits incentivize the kind of smash-and-grab mentality and lack of accountability to which you refer.

Oct 28, 2017
Whether you agree with her policies or not she is good at her job. Shes pragmatic which a House leader needs to be. When she brings a bill to the floor for a vote you can be sure shes got them on lock so not many surprises. And she can play Trump like a fiddle. I dont think people realize how much worse things could be without a strong House Majority leader.

Pictured: Pelosi "Winning"

Pelosi.jpg

Oh my god. Are you serious? Lol

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
damn i thought she still had some mileage to go in her 70s. didn't know the Eight-Oh was coming up already but good for her, still kickin'

BADMAN

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whether you agree with her policies or not she is good at her job. Shes pragmatic which a House leader needs to be. When she brings a bill to the floor for a vote you can be sure shes got them on lock so not many surprises. And she can play Trump like a fiddle. I dont think people realize how much worse things could be without a strong House Majority leader.

Oh my god. Are you serious? Lol
Rarely am I serious but yeah decently serious right there.

I agree with you on her playing Trump like a fiddle though. Without her we never would have gotten DACA back or reunited those immigrant kids with their parents.

Golden

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
It is totally ridiculous how old your politicians are in the states. I think you are a signifigant outlier in this. Obama was a good age for president. Having guys in their 70's duking out for presidency is absurd.

I am from a large family, and some of my uncles, aunts, parents and grandparents have had outstanding careers in academia, medicine etc There is no one with any degenerative illness, but when people are entering their 70's there is an obvious decline. They might still be hilarious, super smart etc but they are clearly past their peak It is crazy to me that you have any politicians in their 70's+

Status
Not open for further replies.