• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
My family just moved into a new house. All the mailboxes on our street are on the other side of the road.

USPS gave us a letter to make sure our mailbox is cleared of snow.

So, am I expected to be putting snow on my neighbor's property or am I expected to walk across the street with shovels of snow?

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
You could leave it spread out over the road if it's sunny. Or at least break it up to melt faster

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
Gonna be tough to give you a good answer on this without at least a rough idea of the layout. Do you have a sidewalk, do you have a driveway, how close together are the properties, how wide is the street, etc., etc. What is behind the mailboxes? Can you just toss the snow in back of the mailboxes?

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
iD7bA9f.jpg

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Is there not a lawn you can put the snow on? Even if it is not your property no one is going to care if a little bit more snow is on their lawn.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
If you have neighbors in the same boat, I'd ask/see what they do.

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
My family just moved into a new house. All the mailboxes on our street are on the other side of the road.

USPS gave us a letter to make sure our mailbox is cleared of snow.

So, am I expected to be putting snow on my neighbor's property or am I expected to walk across the street with shovels of snow?
I live in a cul-de-sac, and the mailboxes for all the houses in the cul-de-sac sit in my yard. I too received a notice from USPS informing me to keep the mailbox area clear of snow. Ever since then I've been dilligent about keeping snow clear. I've been at my house 12 years now, and the other neighbors have never cleared the snow around the mailboxes, and I've never asked them to help. They have said thank you though.

So, from my perspective, it's the responsibility of the person who has the mailboxes in their yard to keep that area clear. If one of my neighbors came and shoveled that area before I had a chance too, and put the snow in my yard, I wouldn't care in the least. It's just snow and it will melt.

Talk it over with the neighbor if you want some clarity.

OP
OP
the-pi-guy

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
Gonna be tough to give you a good answer on this without at least a rough idea of the layout. Do you have a sidewalk, do you have a driveway, how close together are the properties, how wide is the street, etc., etc. What is behind the mailboxes? Can you just toss the snow in back of the mailboxes?

Neighbor does not have a sidewalk, we do on our side. It's a fairly wide road with one lane in each direction.

Our mailbox is basically on their lawn.

I'm Lost. Why would the mailbox be across the road? 5
All the mailboxes are set up alongside the one side of the road, presumably so USPS only has to drive down the road once.

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
Knock on you neighbor door and ask them how you 2 should handle it. I do this all the time with my neighbor.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
Without a diagram or picture...

You move the snow to where it's not in the way of anyone. If you have to walk it across the road, then you should do that.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
Neighbor does not have a sidewalk, we do on our side. It's a fairly wide road with one lane in each direction.

Our mailbox is basically on their lawn.

Gotcha. Yeah, chances are you're fine just shoveling it onto the neighbor's lawn. I know I certainly wouldn't give a crap. People are weird though, so you might just ask them if that's cool before doing it.

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be bothered if a neighbor put snow on my walkway, or dumped all the snow from their driveway onto my driveway with a snowblower. But the lawn is fair game for snow throwing.

Status
Not open for further replies.