• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OneTrueJack

Aug 30, 2020
So this article was dropped today and it really confused me, as it seemed to be written from the perspective of giving updates on an already announced project. Low and behold, some Googling later and it turns out that yeah, this had been a thing announced/leaked earlier in the year. Yet here we are months later and this is the first I've heard of it.

There was a time where this announcement would have rocked the entirety of nerd culture. Firefly. Revived. The impossible dream come true at last. But I guess between Whedon, Baldwin, the passage of time and the fact it seems to be a fresh start with a new crew rather than a continuation, it must be hard to muster more than a shrug.

The king returned to claim his throne... and the kingdom has mostly moved on.

Or have I been living under a rock and people have actually been losing their minds about this for the last year?

ultracal31

Oct 25, 2017
It's not happening

literally that movie web link is a whole lot of nothing

at best you'll get a mobile game

Oct 27, 2017
Not much credibility here but it wouldn't surprise me if it does eventually happen.

People are surprised when creatively deficient Disney doesn't bring back terrible properties for remakes and imaginings so the fact that they are or would isn't really news.

The quality of the garbage they pump out is laughably terrible and they'll never stop until the well runs dry.

Burli

Nov 7, 2017
If it's a reboot then it may as well be any other new show. They won't match the chemistry of the original cast and we don't need to see the story again from different people.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Firefly was awesome (fuck the "it was never good" haters) and it sucks that it died. But with Whedon and Baldwin being such shitheels, I wouldn't want it revived with them around anyway.

Aesthet1c

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I really don't see this happening. Not to mention the creator (and Adam Baldwin for that matter) are giant pieces of shit. Firefly is one of my favorite series ever, but I just don't think there is any way you capture that magic again.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I was watching something random this week and they mentioned how Firefly had random chinese spoken, but you never saw any asian characters.

Shit kinda of blew my mind

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I am all for more Firefly (especially without Whedon). but the linked article is pure google SEO baiting

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I assume people would get excited when it's actually announced officially and not through "leaks" from Giant Freakin Robot.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Firefly wasn't that good to begin with. There, I said it.

tenor.png

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I was watching something random this week and they mentioned how Firefly had random chinese spoken, but you never saw any asian characters.

Always loved how it was the Anglo-SINO Alliance and yet if memory serves there was not a single prominent Asian character.

Seriously, Fuck Whedon.

Firefly feels like one of those properties that will forever be kicked down the road.

It'll always be sacred to enough geeks to be worth bringing up in the pitch room.

But it will never be popular enough to have the pitch taken seriously for very long.

We'll be seeing rumors of Firefly reboots for the next century.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Firefly feels like one of those properties that will forever be kicked down the road.

It'll always be sacred to enough geeks to be worth bringing up in the pitch room.

But it will never be popular enough to have the pitch taken seriously for very long.

So it will basically be the Buck Rogers of our generation?

scotchka

Dec 6, 2017
I'm sure Disney will reboot everything at some point. I welcome Whedonless Buffy and Firefly.

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
The Expanse has taken the role for gritty Scifi western. We don't need Firefly anymore.

OP
OP
OneTrueJack

OneTrueJack

Aug 30, 2020

Or like how Buffy seemed to take place in this weird, alternate version of California that only had white people. Absolutely insane.

Joshua

Oct 27, 2017
Was this article written by some SEO AI?

And the original source was WGTC?

Ok so there is no Firefly revival yet.

orlock

Oct 28, 2017
in my experience, no, it hasnt really been particularly meteoric.

a lot of time has gone by since Firefly first aired. i think now, so far removed from it, folk're tending to look back at it without rose-tints and realizing that, for whatever highs it hits, there are plenty of lows and it even tends towards being a little problematic here and there. i think even discussing the basic concept of the entire show - "space confederates trying to eke out a living in the space union as space gunhands" - isnt going to win over a lot of new fans right off the bat these days.

thats not even taking into consideration the fact that 1) it would likely be with an entirely new cast, 2) no one would want to support a property featuring the more well-known piece of shit Whedon or the lesser-known piece of shit Baldwin, 3) older fans have probably moved on (i loved Firefly when it aired and honestly i couldnt give a shit about a revival), and 4) any potential new fans wouldnt give a shit about it as a previously existing IP so its pretty much just a... regular space show. there are plenty of other properties out there that have filled the space that wasnt even really there when Firefly came out.

and yeah, i also think it could be said for all of those old Whedon shows - Buffy, Angel, Firefly - that... maybe they weren't actually all that amazing to begin with. my partner loves Buffy and i can barely sit through some episodes when they pop it on now and again. apart from clips i particularly like, im rarely engaged when ive tried to rewatch Firefly from time to time.

having said that, id be all in on a Whedonless version of Firefly that actually takes inclusion and diversity seriously in a universe that's become wildly diverse and inclusive. fuck, the only person coming back id really give a shit about would be Nathan Fillion (and Gina Torres, maybe Jewel Staite) anyway - give Captain Reynolds a little role in the pilot and let him show up a time or two again, and move on.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
if you going to bring back a canceled fox show
MV5BMWMzNDlkOWQtNzQ2Ni00NmJmLWI1ODAtNTdiNzRkOTczNjA3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjc3MjQzNTI@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Firefly wasn't that good to begin with. There, I said it.

I agree. It seems like people hyped it based on what it could have been and not what it actually was. There is some good stuff there, but it takes awhile before it even starts to show signs of potential.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

They gave it a second chance with a movie, and lost a ton of money on that gamble. It's dead and buried.

Eegah

Oct 27, 2017
That show was entirely carried by the chemistry of the cast. I doubt anyone can recapture that magic. At least we got Serenity to bring the story to a close.

Calvinien

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
Firefly was awesome (fuck the "it was never good" haters) and it sucks that it died. But with Whedon and Baldwin being such shitheels, I wouldn't want it revived with them around anyway.

I feel ike putting those two in the same sentence is really unfair. Whedon is a bully who bought into his own hype.

Baldwin is a neo nazi.

Zenkuso

Jan 28, 2019
Nah reviving something that's beyond it's time never works.

Leave it dead Disney, leave it dead...

Or you know fund another generational Sci-Fi show, maybe?

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
I couldn't care about something that I didn't know existed. Now that I do, I care.

Edit: nothing there for a reason.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Too little too late. Whedon sucks, Baldwin is a fucking lunatic, Ron Glass is no longer with us (RIP) and most of the cast is onto better things (except for Summer Glau because of The Curse of Summer Glau).

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
in my experience, no, it hasnt really been particularly meteoric.

a lot of time has gone by since Firefly first aired. i think now, so far removed from it, folk're tending to look back at it without rose-tints and realizing that, for whatever highs it hits, there are plenty of lows and it even tends towards being a little problematic here and there. i think even discussing the basic concept of the entire show - "space confederates trying to eke out a living in the space union as space gunhands" - isnt going to win over a lot of new fans right off the bat these days.

thats not even taking into consideration the fact that 1) it would likely be with an entirely new cast, 2) no one would want to support a property featuring the more well-known piece of shit Whedon or the lesser-known piece of shit Baldwin, 3) older fans have probably moved on (i loved Firefly when it aired and honestly i couldnt give a shit about a revival), and 4) any potential new fans wouldnt give a shit about it as a previously existing IP so its pretty much just a... regular space show. there are plenty of other properties out there that have filled the space that wasnt even really there when Firefly came out.

and yeah, i also think it could be said for all of those old Whedon shows - Buffy, Angel, Firefly - that... maybe they weren't actually all that amazing to begin with. my partner loves Buffy and i can barely sit through some episodes when they pop it on now and again. apart from clips i particularly like, im rarely engaged when ive tried to rewatch Firefly from time to time.

having said that, id be all in on a Whedonless version of Firefly that actually takes inclusion and diversity seriously in a universe that's become wildly diverse and inclusive. fuck, the only person coming back id really give a shit about would be Nathan Fillion (and Gina Torres, maybe Jewel Staite) anyway - give Captain Reynolds a little role in the pilot and let him show up a time or two again, and move on.

Man you're first paragraph about how Mal and Co. are essentially Space Libertarians really his the mark. Given recent political events, I just can't get invested in this universe anymore unless there is a reboot where Mal was fighting AGAINST the "Muh Freedoms!" right-wing assholes.

That show was entirely carried by the chemistry of the cast. I doubt anyone can recapture that magic. At least we got Serenity to bring the story to a close.

That's the other thing. Serenity was a perfectly satisfying conclusion. River is finally Sane(ish), the Reavers are implied to have been wiped out, Mal and Zoe get revenge on the Alliance. Mal and Inara get back together. There were some good and dramatic deaths. What else was really needed?

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017

And there it is.

I agree, the show deserves its praise. People saying its overrated are legit crazy. It deserves all the attention it gets. But IDFW Whedon after the shit about him has come out and I have seen zero actions from him to apologize or anything.

And Baldwin is a legit right wing douchecanoe, so let it goooo.

CrunchyFrog

Oct 28, 2017
If it's a reboot then it may as well be any other new show. They won't match the chemistry of the original cast and we don't need to see the story again from different people.

This, it's long since past time for this to happen.

That being said, I do kinda like the heavy Asian-influenced cultural take on a space opera adventure, so I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to a sort of spiritual successor or even a new story/characters in the same universe.

Status
Not open for further replies.