• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sony's been pretty cagey about this topic, and after today I just need an straight answer from them. The PS Plus extravaganza they announced today just seems like they gathered all the games they weer planning to release on PS Plus in 2021 and gave them up front at Christmas to tide us over.

Seems a little weird considering we are actually getting a good launch lineup, which leads me to believe the real reason is to make up for not having our full PS4 digital library (purchased outright or subsidized by PS Plus) available with a simple redownload after signing in.

It sucked not being able to bring our PS3 library over to PS4, and it looks like it's happening again. :(

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
well lets see PS3 and PS4 had no BC. PS4 to PS5 does what do you think.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
UPDATE: A quick update on backward compatibility – With all of the amazing games in PS4's catalog, we've devoted significant efforts to enable our fans to play their favorites on PS5. We believe that the overwhelming majority of the 4,000+ PS4 titles will be playable on PS5.

blog.playstation.com

Unveiling New Details of PlayStation 5: Hardware Technical Specs [UPDATED]

Watch live for a deep dive into PS5's system architecture and how it will shape the future of games.

May 31, 2019
who knows; they'll probly put up video soon saying yes you can, then take it down, then tweet that you can't, then Kotaku will say yes you can but your games will only be recoverable from 6 months post-launch

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I want to know details on backwards compatibility. I plan on trading my PS4 in and nothing at all was mentioned. I'm hoping all games are playable. At least majority with maybe a few exception or something

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah like I have Yakuza 0 through 6 on PS4 digitally and have yet to finish 4 or play 5/6. If I can't play my digital PS4 purchases on PS5 I won't be trading in any time soon. Where's that list Sony?

hollows100

Jul 22, 2020
So why have Spiderman remastered if it's supposedly BC? Would I be forced to buy it if I already own the ps4 version?

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, there is no reason (well, a good oneat least, hehe :P) for why there should be any difference between physical media and downloaded copies of a game. Its the exact same code/source material.

Aug 23, 2018
Yes, they said it here

blog.playstation.com

Watch live for a deep dive into PS5's system architecture and how it will shape the future of games.
blog.playstation.com

This is from March. I wanna know how the disc version of BC works as well. They haven't really shown us how this works

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
I believe they said the majority of Ps4 games will be playable. No idea if all of those will be playable at launch though.

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
One of the main reasons I bought so many digital games this gen was in hopes I could play them on my ps5.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
So why have Spiderman remastered if it's supposedly BC? Would I be forced to buy it if I already own the ps4 version?
Spiderman Remaster is an updated version of the PS4 version. Its for those who want a better version of the game (as far as graphics goes, at least), or for those who didnt get the game on PS4. You will still be able to play your PS4 version through backward compability (if the game is supported, but i'm sure that it will since its one of the more popular PS4 titles).

Another similar example around this is Dark Souls. The Xbox 360 version worked fine on Xbox One through BC, but Xbox One still got Dark Souls Remastered =)

EDIT: Already answered.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
That's not what he's asking. He's asking if your previously bought games will be available without rebuying them.

So, you think it's possible that everything is backwards compatible, but Playstation will make everyone rebuy them digitally if they want to play them on PS5?

There is no way they even attempt to do that even if they wanted to.

Ninja_Hawk

Oct 27, 2017
I swear they already said the majority of games will be playable via some legacy mode and that some will see improvements. I get people wanting to see the OS and stuff but I don't see them going out of their way separately to show it off. You put in your disc or access your digital game and there you go, there's not that much to it, as far functionality goes.

OP
OP
Arta

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's not what he's asking. He's asking if your previously bought games will be available without rebuying them.
Right. I have a huge library of games on my account that I just want to log in on the PS5 and redownload by previous purchases, and start playing.
This is from March. I wanna know how the disc version of BC works as well. They haven't really shown us how this works
Yup. If it was really that solid I feel they would have demonstrated this by now. Sony said a lot of things months ago that were taken as gospel but weren't clarified until today to the contrary.

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
Sony already clarified numerous times that the majority of the 4000+ PS4 games will be playable on PS5 through BC.

I honestly don't know how that confusion comes up again and again.

kradical

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
EiEsdWWWAAM5eo1

Zyae

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Mar 17, 2020
So, you think it's possible that everything is backwards compatible, but Playstation will make everyone rebuy them digitally if they want to play them on PS5?

There is no way they even attempt to do that even if they wanted to.
I didn't say whether it is possible or not, the guy I quoted misunderstood the question though.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
I too miss a clear communication from Sony, but realistically, there is now way in hell they are going for an all digital future, say that (basically) all of your PS4 Games will work on PS5 and then restrict that to physical only.
I mean It's not like those these thing aren't linked to your account. I guess it will be exactly like transferring you stuff from PS4 to PS4 Pro.

Status
Not open for further replies.