• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should we add likes?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like every major forum I go to has them except for here. Also I'm referring to likes specifically, not an upvote/downvote system or a rep system. I feel like it'd help with a lot of the quote spam we tend to get (both positive and negative) e.g. people constantly quoting a funny post. I also feel like it'd help lurkers feel more involved in the community. I've been part of era/gaf for almost a decade know. I post more often now, but there was def a period in the beginning when I was more of a lurker and didn't post that often. I think being able to like posts would allow people who don't feel so comfortable writing posts to contribute their support for certain things. Also i'm pretty sure the forum software we use supports/has this feature baked in as well, so on the tech side I don't believe it would be too hard to implement. What do you guys think?

EDIT: Can people actually articulate why they don't want them? I feel like people are just knee jerk saying no, because it's something that exists on social media and they think it's "beneath" them to have it on here.

jml

Mar 9, 2018
My ideal likes system would be one where they don't show up anywhere other than you get a notification when someone likes your post. That way it doesn't turn into any sort of dick-measuring contest & it's just an acknowledgement that a post you made was well-received.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
I was actually against it, but I saw it done on another forum and it was done in a subtle way.
A heart symbol next to Quote | Reply would work.

0BahbwB.png

Ajax125

Nov 15, 2017
I feel like if someone likes or dislikes your post, they'll quote you in a reply....so i don't think it would necessarily add to discussions that already take place here.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
It wouldn't take long for people to start using likes as receipts/"weapons".

"OH I see you liked this post, this must mean you support x y z and you hate a b c."

"Looking back six years ago, you liked carlsojo's post about cats, this clearly means that you are a secret dog hater."

So yeah, add likes, let's fucking goooo

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I've always wished we had it. Sometimes I just want to agree with a post and don't have much to add, but don't want to junk up the forum with "+1" or "this" or . replies.

Hound

Jul 6, 2019
Sounds like a potential ban honeypot. Hope you don't like too many problematic posts.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
1) Because it allows people to hide agreement with an eloquently-written but terrible opinion behind a zero-effort co-signing of it, without having to make their own point that can be argued against.
2) It turns discussion into a popularity contest with early posts rushing in with a shit joke having priority.
3) It provides visable blocks of popular opinions that may signal-boost dismissive voices quickly and make the forum less inclusive for minority opinions, even when the former is unintentional.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There are already so many turrrrible takes at wit. Adding a "like" system would just promote that even more.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I'm neutral on them. They're not end of the world.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking only for myself. Likes are the most shallow form of engagement

1) Because it allows people to hide agreement with an eloquently-written but terrible opinion behind a zero-effort co-signing of it, without having to make their own point that can be argued against.
2) It turns discussion into a popularity contest with early posts rushing in with a shit joke having priority.
3) It provides visable blocks of popular opinions that may signal-boost dismissive voices quickly and make the forum less inclusive for minority opinions, even when the former is unintentional.

Or what Red said

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
On one hand, it might cut down on all the posts that just quote something and leave a period or something dismissive like "and we're done here", but on the other hand it opens the floodgates to all sorts of attention-seeking behavior.

I don't think it's worth it.

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
Systems like that just encourage even more shitposting in an attempt to be the first person to say some memey shit that everyone would click like on. A thread about a Bethesda game? Gotta rush to be the first one to post the "Don't believe his lies" Todd Howard meme. Etc. etc.

Not to mention it makes popular people feel an undue sense of importance. It's just shit all around.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Dear God please no. We already have a problem with people trying to get a snarky contrarian first reply to basically every thread. Imagine how bad it would get with likes/dislikes.

It just creates an environment were people just say what the majority wants to hear to get likes.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Discourages discussion how? And we already have people fishing for likes indirectly with things like trying to have a funny first post. People will fish for approval whether it exists or not.
it discourages discussion by turning everything into a popularity contest, people are less likely to share unpopular opinions even if they're sound and well written because it goes against the circlejerk

sure it may be a thing now, but a like system would only exacerbate this

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's an eyesore and contributes to polarized dogpiling and just muddies more nuanced discussion in favor of popularity contests.

Solaire

Oct 29, 2017
Some people already try so hard to have """witty""" first posts, imagine what it would be with likes.

Terrible idea all around. Straight in the trash.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
No, Likes are pointless and shallow.

An actual useful feature would be a Chan like feature showing how many times a post has been quoted, with links to those replies and if possible a tool-tip showing the text right then and there so you can see what has been replied.

It would help tremendously with posts that get replied to a million times with same info over and over again.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
A'yep

OP
OP
CharlesAznable
Oct 25, 2017

1) Assuming who likes what is visible it wouldn't be any different than if someone had made a post.
2) yes because that doesn't already happen here...
3) I feel like that can work the opposite direction as well, and show the support for minority voices. This actually part of the reason why I want it.

Qasiel

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
No thank you. I'd try and write an eloquent response for my reasoning but I see others have already done that for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.