• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Guaraná

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
ARMS, released in 2017, was a nice surprise with great graphics and a inovative gameplay.

Smash, released last week... well, probably the best fighting game this gen. And one of the best fighting game of all times.

Mike Rambo

Oct 27, 2017
Philadelphia
Personally, no not even close. I got tired of ARMS within a week, and, well, I've never been much of a smash fan. Then again, I'm not a Nintendo exclusive gamer either so take that for what it's worth to you

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Smash you can have that argument.

ARMS? Christ. No. Injustice 2 and Tekken 7 destroy it.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Lol not even close, Smash is great and all, but it's got problems that can't be overlooked and that title in 2018 goes to DBFZ by far.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Played both Smash Bros. and Soul Calibur 6 this weekend and I have to say, that I liked Soul Calibur 6 way more. Smash Bros. is the obviously the better party-game though.
I didn't like ARMS at all. But I generally not a fan of those those third-person-view-fighting games.

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
Just 2018. And calling Smash a "fighter" is a little disingenuous since it's a "brawler" and doesn't rely on the typical moveset inputs.

I also wouldn't call ARMS a "fighter," since it's also outside your typical EVO fare. "Arena Battler" might be more fitting. But it was pretty mediocre regardless.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
2017 definitely not.
2018 is closer but it has been an insanely good year for fighting games so I'd still lean "no." UNIEL probably beats it for me, as does DB FighterZ.

Oct 27, 2017
Nope. Tekken 7 got 2017. DBFZ got 2018. It's still a fun game for being released this late in the years, but it's not the best IMO. It doesn't even beat out SCVI.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I would not put Smash in my top 3 fighting games for 2018.

It's an amazing achievement and deserves much praise, but no.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Personally, definitely a big nope for Arms and absolute yes for Smash. I'm a casual though so Smash is just perfect for me and my family.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I mean last year had Tekken 7 and Injustice 2, those are significantly better than ARMS. It had Marvel Infinite as well... yeah, ARMS is better than that one.

This year Smash is certainly a contender for it. The big competition is Dragon Ball Fighter Z and yeah, that's a pretty darn good fighter as well.

Street Fighter V got the excellent Arcade Edition release and Soul Calibur 6 is mightily solid as well.

This year it's probably personal preference on which one is the best.

(Cross Tag might actually still be my personal fav to play but it dropped the ball on making half it's roster DLC;)

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Not even close with Smash when their online is nothing more than a joke.

It's kinda important for modern fighting games.

Wise

Oct 27, 2017
Injustice 2 was the best fighting game of 2017 imo

I hated arms. Still playing smash so I won't give my full opinion yet but the only thing I can say right now is the online is a disappointment

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
I'm in love with Smash and this game have the best content of any fighting game ever, but Tekken and Soulcalibur are more in line with my taste gameplay wise. I'll try Arms soon, my Switch is only 3 days old. The concept is really interesting and the chara design is cool!

Oct 26, 2017
I like Smash Ultimate, but due to how the online is in that game, I can't in good conscious say it's the best fighting game of 2018. I find that Dragonball Fighterz and Soul Calibur 6 are better.

Same with the 2017 releases. Tekken 7, Injustice 2 and Guilty Gear Xrd REV2 blow ARMS out of the water.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Not even close for both, but especially 2017.

I'd go Tekken 7 for 2017 and SCVI for 2018, but imagine most would choose DBZF.

... I'm not really sure they made the best anything this year? That's kind of weird for Nintendo, where they typically have at least platformer on lock.

Smash is the best crossover or whatever if you want to give it its own made-up genre.

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
2017 is tekken 7 and 2018 is dragon ball fighterz. so no. I like smash but no.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
2018 is very obviously Smash yeah, but it's hard to come up with ARMS when Tekken 7 released in 2017.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Also yes Smash Ultimate is probably the best fighting game of all time.
giphy.gif

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Thinking about it, when you consider Tekken for 2017 and DBFZ and SC6 for 2018, along with the fact that Smash is developed by Bamco, the big winner in this regard is definitely Bamco.

Majiebeast

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Injustice 2 was the best fighting game of 2017 imo

I hated arms. Still playing smash so I won't give my full opinion yet but the only thing I can say right now is the online is a disappointment

For Single player absolutely an amazing effort, but for like multiplayer Tekken 7 is just so much better, i felt Injustice 2 should have just been called Zone Justice 2.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Cmon OP, ARMS? In a world where Injustice 2 and Tekken 7 exist? lol

And I haven't played the new Smash yet, but DB FighterZ and Soul Calibur say hello

Status
Not open for further replies.