• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Taco_Human

Jan 6, 2018
MA
Not gonna lie, I got tempted and tried it. It worked.... I took a picture of a game code that they left in an open retail box. How do they get away with selling opened games new again? Can you imagine buying a game with a code and it was already used?

I've seen codes in multiple different games, and once they even left the cartridge in the box on the shelf, but that was a game I already owned and just left it there. Still though, it could have happened.

dabri

Nov 2, 2017
Is opening one of the boxes/snapping a pic even illegal?
It's obviously the wrong thing to do™, but is the OP just a bad person or an actual CRIMINAL now? Will he be arrested for VIDEO GAME CRIME?
Pretty sure it's stealing. Just because a store made it overly easy to do, doesn't make it not stealing.

Radishhead

Oct 30, 2017
Hey, I've tried to hold them off as long as I can, but the Nintendo Ninjas are here and they mean business. Get out now, run as f-

MattG

Mar 16, 2018
Is opening one of the boxes/snapping a pic even illegal?
It's obviously the wrong thing to do™, but is the OP just a bad person or an actual CRIMINAL now? Will he be arrested for VIDEO GAME CRIME?
Snapping a pic is not illegal. However, redeeming a license for a game that was not paid for is. It is no different than pocketing a cartridge or disc and walking out of the store.

I've never been a fan of GameStop's policy of selling opened games as new, but redeeming a download code you didn't pay for is stealing. And it creates a headache for whomever ultimately buys the already-used code.

Last edited:

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wait, is this just a retail thing? I bought my Switch from Amazon a few days ago and just took the console out. Do they give out download codes for all sales?

And yeah, taking a picture of a download code for something you didn't purchase is stealing.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
That's not really cool OP. I'm sure whoever bought that had to jump through a lot of hoops to explain how they didn't use said code, if they could even get another at all. Doesn't matter that Gamestop is being negligent.

Deleted member 41178

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018
Not gonna lie, I got tempted and tried it. It worked.... I took a picture of a game code that they left in an open retail box. How do they get away with selling opened games new again? Can you imagine buying a game with a code and it was already used?

I've seen codes in multiple different games, and once they even left the cartridge in the box on the shelf, but that was a game I already owned and just left it there. Still though, it could have happened.

Are you talking about DLC or a full game you downloaded? Not that one is more justifiable than the other I'm just intrigued.

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
OP, I hope you meant that you got as far as a confirmation page affirming the code is valid, and didn't actually redeem the code.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
Snapping a pic is not illegal. However, redeeming a license for a game that was not paid for is. It is no different than pocketing a cartridge and walking out of the store.
Redeeming the code: Yeah, I thought so, too. I'm just wondering if they could do something about it, even with cctv footage.
Add a key reseller to the equation and this becomes complicated real fast.

Also OP: Return to the store and buy the game.

dabri

Nov 2, 2017
At what point is it stealing? Knowing the code or using the code?
I don't know. Is someone who has stashed a store item in their jacket also in just as much trouble before leaving the store as someone who is caught a block away? Intent is a big factor. In this case taking a pic of the code is pretty clear intent.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
So did you actually steal a game and redeem the code OP?

Not sure how this can be framed as anything but a dick move

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Same with the PC games that put the serial number on the inner side of the insert, or a sticker in the case. Decent staff know about all of these and make sure they don't go out, only takes one staff member that doesn't think or doesn't care to ruin it.

Neilg

Nov 16, 2017
Does it weird you out that general stores have all their items on display? You could go into one, put some small things in your pockets - much like taking a photo of a code - and then walk out with it. They probably wouldn't even notice.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Wait you just opened it in the store and stole the code?

You're a thief, OP.

TheMink

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Connecticut
"It was a game I already owned so I just left it there"

So if you didn't own it you would have stolen it? I'm confused are you just trying to scare GS straight or are you actually stealing stuff?

Santini

Oct 25, 2017
They do. After seeing a used copy of Bayonetta 2 on the shelves with the code in plain sight, I wanted to know myself and actually asked an employee about this.

For pre-owned games, the code being out there doesn't matter. It may or may not have been redeemed already, and they're selling the game as-is, with no guarantee of any codes working, just the cart/disc. I've lucked out on some pre-owned games being in great shape with DLC codes that weren't redeemed, as well as games where the person didn't claim their 1%'s worth of Nintendo Gold Points.

For new games, they're supposed to put one of those generic empty cases out for it, and/or keep the codes along with the game (like disc-based games with codes on an insert). I'm not a fan of their last copy of the game being opened and sold as new, but the codes that are stored with the disc are not used.

But I did say "supposed to". Of course there are going to be some workers who don't catch everything and let one or two slip.

And that's how it starts: some tiny DLC, a season pass maybe, then a full-game, and next thing you know, you're downloading someone else's car.

I'm pretty sure you're on their CCTV footage, OP. Unless you were discreet, might want to "shop" at another store until the heat dies down. Better fence them goods while you can.

Last edited:

Deleted member 5028

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
proudofyourself.gif

MadeupLastCricket-size_restricted.gif

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah good job on giving the person that will buy that game an headache...

But hey, good for you, and by your wording you would have definitely stolen the other game if not for the fact you already had it.

"Hey I stole a game, aren't these employees dumb dumbs for letting me?"

OP reads exactly like this lol

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
Not only did you steal a game but you also screwed someone else out of getting a code they paid for.

Grats, I guess? Here's hoping you got caught on their security cameras.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Why TF did you snitch on yourself

You're not a very good criminal, all i'll say is GG, their fault.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
So you're actually giving Gamestop shit for this, but you felt committing a crime was fine?

OP
OP
Taco_Human

Taco_Human

Jan 6, 2018
MA
Yeah I expected this, I just home from my overnight shift. I admit it was scummy. I'll go buy it later after I get some sleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.