• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

So how are they going to mess up this time?

• They won't make any big mistake.

Votes: 37 24.7%
  • It'll be something outside of their control.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • They'll misread the market again.

Votes: 32 21.3%
  • They'll put out a console and no one will know wtf it is or does (Wii U)

Votes: 12 8.0%
  • Arrogance, greed.

Votes: 16 10.7%
  • They'll do something really stupid for sure, just don't know what.

Votes: 44 29.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Horror

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
No other company among to its peers has enjoyed the same highs or suffered the same lows in such a cyclical pattern. A giant who's proven time and time again capable of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, and vice versa, whether it's applying the industry in a monopolistic choke-hold, misreading the market, disrupting the market, or not being able to communicate the merits of its products. The Switch is a BEAST and will end up being Nintendo's finest platform (IMO) when all is said and done but success for Nintendo almost always follows up with failure/stupidity of such grand scale that it makes me wonder how the company even managed to stay around this long. I look at the Switch and can somewhat rest at ease because unlike their more traditional home consoles, Nintendo has been foolproof with its more portable offerings (3DS launch notwithstanding) but a small part of me is waiting for the other shoe to drop, like them dropping backwards compatibility or going with proprietary memory cards on Switch successors, or maybe something simpler like pissing off third parties again. In any event, I've been enjoying the ride so far (played more games on my Switch this year than for any other system in the same span since the GBA) but with Nintendo the rides seldom go round-and-round or front-to-back but up and down yet I'm interested in everyone else's thoughts.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
If there's one thing where Nintendo's been consistent on, it's handhelds. If they plan on keeping the hybrid form, they're likely never going to mess up again.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The Switch still has a lot of low hanging fruit that they should be addressing for me to consider it a beast.

- Universal cloud save support with no exceptions and ability to make local backups
- Folder support
- Allow me to message friends, and built-in system-wide voice chat, do away with friend codes
- A proper virtual console so I can buy SNES/N64+ games without having to wait for the NSO trickle/be relegated to their emulator wrapper
- Achievements (don't @ me)
- Netflix

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The switch is Nintendo's consoles final form imo, they are just going to build on that, don't see anymore mistakes coming

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
If they do shoot themselves in the foot, I suspect it'll be some combination of complacency and misreading the market, the things that largely led to the Wii U being what it was.

But I think if they follow up the Switch with a Switch 2 - which is exactly what its name would suggest - and not something radically different, they'll be fine. I think it's a branding and model that they should actually stick with long-term. A big part of Sony's success with consoles is that for the most part they don't mess around. Whereas Nintendo has a habit of going in a different direction when a new generation approaches, and that's why they've had such high high's followed by such low low's.

I was thinking the other day how funny it would be if they annouced a dedicated handheld and dedicated console separately in a few years. They are addicted to innovation, I don't trust them to stick to the hybrid model
This more or less sums it up. It can be their greatest strength but also their Achilles' heel.

Last edited:

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They've come up with such a great, simple concept, I don't see them messing up the design. Success breeds greed though so I could see them pulling a 3DS and hideously overcharging for Switch 2.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the fuck is this thread
company wouldn't have been afloat and profitable for 130 years if it kept messing up

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
The Switch still has a lot of low hanging fruit that they should be addressing for me to consider it a beast.

- Universal cloud save support with no exceptions and ability to make local backups
- Folder support
- Allow me to message friends, and built-in system-wide voice chat, do away with friend codes
- A proper virtual console so I can buy SNES/N64+ games without having to wait for the NSO trickle/be relegated to their emulator wrapper
- Achievements (don't @ me)
- Netflix

None of these are shooting themselves in the foot worthy.

@OP, I think not following Switch with a proper Switch 2 would be my vote.
That say Sony had the PS3 and Vita, Xbox has the XONE. I don't think Nintendo is as unique as you suggest.

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
The Joycons will hopefully bite them in the ass eventually. They need to learn that they shouldn't knowingly sell people faulty shit.

Rhete

Oct 27, 2017
I was thinking the other day how funny it would be if they annouced a dedicated handheld and dedicated console separately in a few years. They are addicted to innovation, I don't trust them to stick to the hybrid model

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
They're so stupid if they don't stick with hybrid format, at least for next gen.
But one should never underestimate Nintendo, even more when it comes to stupid moves

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
The biggest mistake they could make at this point would be abandoning the Switch brand for their next console.

Keep it simple Nintendo and do yourself a favor. Call it the Switch 2, make it backwards compatible, and give it some nice new features with a solid power increase. The Switch brand has way too much positive perception built up around it. It would be foolish for Nintendo to introduce a new system with a completely different name.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
if you want to be a silly person about it, the pattern dictates that the next console will underwhelm due to some strange decisionmaking or underbaked games

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
They're safe for the next 10 years or so with the hybrid concept. I think they're in a good enough position to even dominate the gaming scene with the next Switch. Mobile tech is going really fast and all Nintendo has to do is ride the mobile tech wave for the next 10 years. They have lots of good developers to keep developing hit games.

Lumibolt

Self-requested ban
Banned
Sep 13, 2019

There's still chance for MS/Sony/Nintendo a dedicated console hybrid.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
It will be interesting to see how they react to the new shit, aka Xbox Scarlet and PS5 next year. Maybe they don't need to, but maybe they do.

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The switch is Nintendo's consoles final form imo, they are just going to build on that, don't see anymore mistakes coming

Deviating from the Switch would be the only way I could see Nintendo messing up at this point. Unless technology changes dramatically in the next 5-10 years, they should just give us new versions of the Switch from here on out.

Moltres006

Banned
Jan 5, 2019
Would they be shooting themselves in the foot if smash's season 2 dlc does not include any female characters?

OP
OP
Horror

Horror

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
The biggest mistake they could make at this point would be abandoning the Switch brand for their next console.

Keep it simple Nintendo and do yourself a favor. Call it the Switch 2, make it backwards compatible, and give it some nice new features with a solid power increase. The Switch brand has way too much positive perception built up around it. It would be foolish for Nintendo to introduce a new system with a completely different name.

I sort of like Nintendo's stance on avoiding uniformity across multiple consoles. For the most part, they've all brought something original to the table. They can do both, especially with peripherals that express that originality without compromising the console's more conventional foundation.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
As long as they keep doing what they've been doing with the Switch, Nintendo will be fine.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
I'm afraid that they won't capitalize on the switch being made with mobile components to incrementally evolve the family with more power to stay close enough to the ps5/nextbox. The switch is the sweet spot if hybrid gaming. It won't be in two years in my opinion.
I'm also afraid that their next console won't be backwards compatible because reasons.

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
They will keep not putting Ethernet ports into their consoles so that at least plus several other fuckups with online, as always

Oct 27, 2017
SwitchU. Big bulky looks like an add on for the Switch. Can't take it out of the house because it depends on connection to another box to function. You have to hold it up to your face while dangling upside down to play it. Upside down chair not included. Frequent interruptions to remind you to take a break from dangling upside down. Comes with a protective cover that scratches the screen. The controller requires you to frequently tighten the screws that come loose from normal play. NSO increases in price, library starts from NES selection again, no improvements. That's the most Nintendo follow up to a good console ever. /s

Honestly I think they are fine. I kind of hope they just take a traditional route with their next console. Backwards compatibility, improve specs, maybe release a real VR headset. I love what the Switch is and I want more of that but hopefully competitive with next gen consoles so it's not missing out on great games like DMC5, Remake 2 and what not. It could be my main console if it had the power to play everything and devs could easily port games to it.

slothrop

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Aug 28, 2019
USA
I think they'll just fall behind on power as ps5/xbone2 release causing the third party support to dry up much faster than they expected.

They're also completely reliant on Nvidia here, and hardball negotiations there on either side could ruin a lot, assuming Nvidia can even make a lower power mobile SoC that is a big enough of a step forward and yet also cheap.

Switch 2 needs to be a while off as they need the chip tech to both advance and then become cheaper. But they can't wait too long to still have significant 3rd party support.

Remember Nvidia needed Nintendo as bad as vice versa for the switch, they needed to offload a lot of committed chip production capacity that no one else needed (unless this was hearsay). Nvidia is in a stronger position now.

So nothing egregious, but there is still risk.

Starfire22

Banned
May 5, 2018
Oklahoma
nintendoomed.gif

Dhoom

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
They'll only fuck up if they decide to be like Microsoft and Sony, what makes them great is how they set itself apart from the rest.

ColdSun

Together, we are strangers
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Contributions to this thread can only be based on speculation and may promote console warring. Thread locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.