• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 33412

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Tokyo
So I signed up for Chegg in September, a lot of my friends used it. My professor prescribed a text book with no memos and thought it would be handy.(To be fair to the professor he did make notes and tutorials.) But adapting to distance learning was tough.

It had been a really rough few weeks. My dad was suicidal alcoholic after he lost a shit ton of money yoloing puts on the stock market.I had a 2nd year Maths exam that consisted of 2 parts at the end of September. A written section and a multiple choice section. I battled through the written section and submitted it. I wrote a declaration on it that I would not cheat. When I was doing the multiple choice section a question came up that I had answered before. The timer was running down and I couldn't recall the answer. Then in a monumental error of judgement I cheated. I Google'd the question and the answer came up on Chegg and I clicked and viewed it.

The University is doing a big investigation now with all "solutions sites'. I am confident that I am not guilty of any other infraction but should my instructor submit that particular question to Chegg's Honesty Department. It will be time stamped that I visited that url to that question during an exam.

So I have until tomorrow to preemptively admit to committing academic dishonesty. Doing so will mean they will investigate, give me zero for the exam and decide on a mark for me for the course. They say there will be serious mittigation of punishment if we come forward but do not go so far as to say whether you will face sanction or not.

I feel sick to my stomach and I am unable to concentrate on my existing work. I have an email in my drafts admitting to wrong doing but I haven't yet sent it. I am not sure how understanding my professor will be.

So yeah I did something really bad and I can't talk to my family about it. Should I send this email, should I not? Help!

PS: don't make the mistake I did. Delete /unsubscribe that shit now.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Probably declaring that you cheated online for everyone to see isn't the wisest of ideas.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly? I'd own up to it and take the failing grade. If they're lenient you should be fine retaking the course next semester.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
i did a in-home class thing in the fifth grade when my family was moving from one state to another and I got caught cheating and it felt really bad

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
YedVhND.gif

NeoGold123

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
How are they going to know you went there during the exam? Is your internet being monitored or something?

Edit: oh wait, I see, your login ID on chegg. Didn't put those pieces together at first.

Scubdi

Jan 21, 2020
How does the university know that you in particular checked that question on that site at that specific time?

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You've cheated not only the exam but yourself

(Next time use a VPN on another pc/laptop and also don't use the cheat site with any identifiable information)

MnM

Alt-Account
Banned
Mar 9, 2020
Are you dumb enough to admit it?

EDIT: LMFAO at using uni email

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not in college anymore, but everyone I know that still is tells me they're cheating anyway they can.

Looking at a second screen
Looking at your notes
Having someone on your side to tell you the answers
etc

Like, everyone lol

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, why would they conduct a big investigation specifically to find whether you specifically cheated on that one question. What basis they have to even believe that you were doing it?

If it's just a general investigation then it's not going to lead up to anything, there are thousands of websites out there and no one's got the resources to check for this sort of stuff and ask for data from a third party from those websites.

Don't admit anything unless they ask you directly about it specifically (at which point you don't deny it and admit it), additionally even if they find that post there's probably not much they can do to link that post specifically to you either.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
It sounds like they have no case for you OP. You only cheated on one question which means you did all the other ones honestly which means you likely missed a few that you wouldn't if you fully cheated. Sure they can know you have a Chegg account, but there's no way they can say you definitively cheated. Unless Chegg operates in some way I'm unaware, I'm an English major so that website is worthless to me. I don't understand how they could tell you visited at that time with just the knowledge of what email you used.

DarkStream

Oct 27, 2017
Using your Uni E-Mail is probably what's potentially going to get you.
I'd still say nothing at this point. If they approach you, the jig is up. Then own up to it and be better next time.

In the mean time, process your feelings and realize that you feel bad about it. Learn from it and see it as a lesson.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
just play it cool, OP

deny deny deny

listen to the words of Shaggy of "scooby doo" fame:

"wasn't me"

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I'd ride it out, otherwise you may as well have asked them to fail you the second you finished the exam. It's one question and if it's not specifically you under review then I feel the upside potential is a lot greater than them landing on and checking timestamps for that one instance.

PhaZe 5

Oct 27, 2017
bruh don't admit shit

the chegg test stuff is usually for written form answers that get copied near 1:1

I doubt they are scraping your google searches and cross checking against site names

ConfusingJazz

Not the Ron Paul Texas Fan.
Oct 26, 2017
China
It's was a trivial question from a previous test that I had even gotten right. I just couldn't recall it for the life of me. It was indicating whether a line Integeral and various vectors we're positive, negative or zero.

Let's wrap up ResetEra, boys, we got him.

Close down the forum, someone make sure to back up his email so we can match it up with our records of suspected cheats.

(What did we all say about not saying shit?)

OP
OP

Deleted member 33412

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Tokyo
Can someone please lock this thread and delete my account. This is all too much for me. I promise to do better in the future.

Scubdi

Jan 21, 2020
Because I never planned to cheat I signed up with my uni email. As you can see I am not the sharpest tool in the shed.
Oh well then thats quite the pickle. I'd say ride it out and if you get caught then apologize.
And know this. One failure will not make you a bad person and I can quarantee you everything will be okay and you will rise up to be better.

Kiro

Oct 27, 2017
Ottawa, Canada
"I gave the account information to my friend to use as well, it wasn't me"
Cheating is very hard to prove on multiple choice answers. Say nothing, let the guilt and fear in your stomach be a life lesson to never do it again.

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
OP, I really don't think one question is going to bite you in the ass. I've seen people pull our phones during in-person exams and talk to their friends in different languages. Making a Chegg account with your university email was not the best move but I really don't think this is a big thing.

fadeawayjae

May 31, 2019
I think you will be alright, just don't do it again. I'm willing to bet everyone has cheated in one form or another during their time in school. Best to learn from it and move on.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
As a teacher, my first thought is whether or not the question was something you could have worked out mathematically. I doubt it was their intention to test your ability to memorize your previous test responses, after all.

Anyway, say nothing, do nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.