• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
We're at this winery in Bernkastel-Kues and the hostess is talking about how they don't have a lot of Pinot noir grapes. I say "Oh cause Hitler didn't want any foreign grapes" (I read that randomly somewhere) the room goes quiet as a church and the hostess says.... "Mmmm yes" this native German leans over and says - "You can't talk about that here" I nod but can't help but think how ridiculous that is. Hitler isn't representative of your country you guys need to own it and get over it. Be like yeah he was a maniac thankfully the reich fell or something.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
Nah I'm fine with Germany keeping it real. I tell my friends not to make any dumb hitler jokes there. It's just insensitive and ignorant of history to throw around Nazi jokes in that country

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
qhkhL9lXudKNFRHKe1WSACBtlmEk5jd1AUtVsWG8k-s.png

H2Yo

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
We're at this winery in Bernkastel-Kues and the hostess is talking about how they don't have a lot of Pinot noir grapes. I say "Oh cause Hitler didn't want any foreign grapes" (I read that randomly somewhere) the room goes quiet as a church and the hostess says.... "Mmmm yes" this native German leans over and says - "You can't talk about that here" I nod but can't help but think how ridiculous that is. Hitler isn't representative of your country you guys need to own it and get over it. Be like yeah he was a maniac thankfully the reich fell or something.
You moron. This is the worst take I have seen in ages.

Oct 27, 2017
I think Germany has owned up to the Nazi atrocities better than any country I can think of has to their own respective ones.

lil jetski

Nov 1, 2017
As a non-German having lived in Berlin now for five years, I can see why it's annoying. To Americans, imagine if all foreign visitors knew about your history was the slavery and took every opportunity to shoehorn it into casual conversation

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Step one of visiting a foreign country, read up on customs and taboos so you don't make yourself look like an ass.

Oct 25, 2017
That was a really inappropriate thing to say in that setting. They've owned up to it, but that doesn't mean it's a comfortable subject to sling around so casually.

MikeyLikesIt

Banned
Sep 24, 2019
I think Germany has owned up to the Nazi atrocities better than any country I can think of has to their own respective ones.

What I was gonna say. The comment was just rude and out of place. I can understand why the people would be annoyed. Here you have a foreigner visiting and he immediately brings up Hitler in a super casual fashion.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
They didn't fall into the trap of normalizing awful things.

We all should have learnt from them.

Oct 28, 2017
I'd rather Germany "own it" this way than just go "Haha, remember that?! That was a hoot in the past". Constant vigilance.

Aug 16, 2019
UK
Yeah, because casually bringing up a dictator at a wedding in any country is a good thing to do

Next time go to a Belgian wedding talking loudly about Leopold the second or maybe mention the civil war in a Croatian wedding

After that please do not forget to come on Era and complain about how people don't want to talk about grim and dark stuff at a celebration of happiness

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
Having lived there for a while, Germans don't take kindly to jokes about Hitler and Nazis.

They're also quiet as hell at the cinemas.

Mar 3, 2018
I spoke a German student that was staying here in Toronto at length about this years ago. Because I had always heard how strict they are over there about this kinda stuff. He said it's not about not allowing people to say what they want, but more that if people are casual about the whole thing it will be normalized and then slowly creep back into society as it won't have any more taboo factor. I get what he meant. Look at the USA now. Nazi became a joke word and used in sitcoms and family tv shows all the time for characters who go to extreme lengths and are super strict.

Now you have the kids of WWII soldiers saying they are Nazis because the word doesn't hold any more weight and has been washed and diluted to a meaningless thing.
Honestly glad the Germans are keeping it like this. It's not as if they need any reminders of Hitler because they are going to forget about it.

Love whenever I read a story about how a dumb tourist does the hitler salute and practically gets tackled by German special corned within a few seconds.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Its too early in the morning to deal with this shit.

You are the one in the wrong here OP. Not them. You made a stupid comment. Own it. Move on. No need to try and make a thread so you can try to let yourself off the hook.

whytemyke

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Hopefully you're American so when you say drunkenly stupid, insulting and obvious things they'll just think you work for the President and move on.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As a non-German having lived in Berlin now for five years, I can see why it's annoying. To Americans, imagine if all foreign visitors knew about your history was the slavery and took every opportunity to shoehorn it into casual conversation
yup i think thats the main issue. i dont think americans in general want to shoehorn nazi germani into everything but wine and nazi is kind of a stretch.

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Hopefully you were drunk because your comment was dumb as all fuck. Escalated that shit for no reason at all. Yikes.

Deleted member 4208

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You made a dumb comment about a very sensitive topic, got called out, and got defensive. Take the L, try to understand why they were offended, and take it as a lesson learned.

Status
Not open for further replies.