• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rntongo

Banned
Jan 6, 2020
The E3 Xbox Bethesda Showcase was great, they showcased a mix of indie titles, AA games, FPS and first person RPGS. Forza horizon 5, Hades and Atomic Heart were the highlights for me. But I think it lacked in one major area. We saw zero third person AAA gameplay from a new/upcoming title. Still don't know what Starfield is about and no gameplay. Gamepass is such a good deal though and I look forward to playing all the new upcoming games(Hades, Forza Horizon 5, Ascent, Atomic Heart) but eventually I want to see what 12 tflops can really do. And AAA SP third person games are the best showcase of that. There are so many companies working on first person shooter style games so that genre is set. I was hoping E3 2021 for Xbox would provide more balance towards all these other genres.

FPS and First Person AAA:
  • Back 4 Blood(FPS gameplay shown)
  • Halo Infinite(AAA FPS multiplayer gameplay shown)
  • OuterWorlds 2 (FPS)
  • Atomic Heart (First person RPG gameplay shown)
  • Stalker 2( FPS gameplay shown)
  • RedFall(Likely a First person RPG no gameplay)
  • Contraband ??(Open world AAA co-op shooter, no gameplay)
  • Battlefield 2042(FPS gameplay shown)
  • Far Cry 6(FPS gameplay shown)
AAA third person games:
  • Starfield (AAA third person RPG? No gameplay)
  • Contraband ??(Open world AAA co-op shooter, no gameplay)
  • A Plague's Tale sequel(No gameplay)

So although I'm looking forward to what will be added to Gamepass I hope over the next months and even next year they show a tad bit more third person AAA games especially first party so we can see the full power of the hardware.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
How is a 3rd person AAA the best showcase of graphics? A camera perspective doesnt dictate the graphic fidelity of a game.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Plague Tale fits that category if you ask me, have you played the original? Phenomenal looking 3rd person narrative game.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
I don't feel like third person AAA games are some rarity. We get enough of them.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
As already pointed out, Starfield is likely to let you switch perspective...like every other Bethesda RPG.

I'd expect The Outer Worlds 2 to let you switch as well. Obsidian has noted it's a highly requested feature, and one of the reasons the first didn't have it is because of the budget.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
Bro.. what? How are first person games not capable of being graphical showpieces? The only difference is one has a character model on screen at all times and the other doesn't.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
You also got Hellblade, Guardians, Elden Ring, Plague Tale... Horizon.. plenty

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Bro.. what? How are first person games not capable of being graphical showpieces? The only difference is one has a character model on screen at all times and the other doesn't.

Exactly what I was thinking. Wasn't sure if I was an old man or not, but I was thinking back to when every graphical show piece was a first person game of some type, usually a shooter though.

Anyway OP I am sure that the new Dragon Age and Mass Effect will be third person. I am also pretty confident that Starfield will at least let you toggle unless Bethesda breaks with the MO of their games since at least Morrowind. First person default, but the ability to play third person if you hate yourself. :P

cgpartlow

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
To be honest Sony is already the king at those. I'd rather Xbox be set apart than trying to copycat. Gives a reason to own both or just the system with the types of games you prefer.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
I need to update my ERA hot takes list

1. 5 hours campaign is the main reason to buy a Battlefield game
  2. Elden Ring is Dark Souls 4
  3. 3rd person games are better than 1st person game when it comes to showcasing the graphics

OP
OP
rntongo

rntongo

Banned
Jan 6, 2020
To be honest Sony is already the king at those. I'd rather Xbox be set apart than trying to copycat. Gives a reason to own both or just the system with the types of games you prefer.
So Xbox AAA first party games should be only first person

You also got Hellblade, Guardians, Elden Ring, Plague Tale... Horizon.. plenty

HellBlade 2 should be a great one. I think most third person AAA games so far will come from third party devs based off what I've seen so far. If the new Indiana Jones is also first person then that will be a shocker of epic proportions.

Which is great in my opinion. Variety is the spice of life.
Was thinking more about variety within the ecosystem not across genres.

Kydd BlaZe

Apr 17, 2018
I'm sure Fable, HellBlade 2, and Contraband will be third person. And whenever the hell Gears 6 is unveiled, that'll be on the list as well.

Isn't the new Perfect Dark rumored to be third person? And the rumored Indiana Jones game will for sure be third person.

Joco

Oct 29, 2017
I'm sure Fable, HellBlade 2, and Contraband will be third person. And whenever the hell Gears 6 is unveiled, that'll be on the list as well.

Isn't the new Perfect Dark rumored to be third person? And the rumored Indiana Jones game will for sure be third person.

Do we really know anything about Contraband?

And Perfect Dark is first person

Status
Not open for further replies.