• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 46958

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Let me explain.

i'm in a six family dwelling and my slumlord recently installed a set of intercom bells for all six apartments.

the bells are too loud and cause me and my family to feel real anxious, so we disabled them.

We put up a note to amazon to knock on our window and NOT ring the people whom live across from us.

But they still do. So today the neighbor asked my family member to find a resolution bc they are bothered by Anazon ringing their bell so they can be let in.

now, given that the employees change and it's always a different delivery person it's hard to let them know not to disturb the others.

It's more frustrating bc these delivery men are either the oblivious to the note or don't bother to read them.

So now there's pressure to get packages delivered to an outside place instead of the comfort of home bc of multiple factors.

I'm not sure who's wrong and right here.

They get to keep their deliveries coming here but we can't because we don't want the bell up bc it's disturbing. These ppl can easily refrain from answering.

Not sure what to do here. Thoughts and comments?

I wish there were a way to lower the volume of the bell but it's not an option.

EDIT: Thanks for the suggestions and comments y'all. I'll get a cloth or something close to it and throw it over the bell. Play around to see what can deaden the sound.

Last edited:

Deleted member 4367

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There are probably ways to physically alter the bell to be quieter if it's an actual bell. Or even if it's a speaker.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Can you not talk to your "slumlord" and get the bell volume changed? If it's really that loud and that much of an anxiety issue it's not an unreasonable request, especially if you can demonstrate it to them.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Can you go to an amazon pickup centre? If so, you can get your packages delivered there, and then you can go pick them up.

noquarter

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I don't understand, but it seems like you are in the wrong. You have your neighbor answering for your deliveries because you don't want to be disturbed. This seems like you should work on your bell so your neighbor isn't bothered by your deliveries.

Also, doesnt Amazon have a place for notes in orders? Can't you just put "Knock on window, buzzer broken" on your orders?

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
Talk to your slumlord and if he won't fix those damn bells, then sue him or leave.

Your neighbors are clearly not going to help you in your quest for justice, so you have to give up on that fantasy.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
You disabled your bells so that anyone coming to the building and wants your unit ends up bothering your neighbors, but not you. Gee, I wonder why your neighbors would be irritated.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Use your bell, find a way to not make it as loud.

Otherwise, use an Amazon Locker.

painey

Oct 27, 2017
Talk to your slumlord and if he won't fix those damn bells, then sue him or leave.

Your neighbors are clearly not going to help you in your quest for justice, so you have to give up on that fantasy.
even Judge Judy isn't going to oversee the case of 'my doorbell is too loud'

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
Re-enable your bell.

If it's too loud maybe... you could try to muffle the sound slightly by putting something over or around it. I don't know how well that would work but it might be worth a try.

OP
OP

Deleted member 46958

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Thanks all. An outside party/opinions are what I needed. I'll see if i can get the bell lowered, he's just really difficult to deal with.

Oct 27, 2017
So, it's not like when the bell rings it rings all of you right? You just disabled yours so the delivery guy has to ring someone else to get in? That seems a little unfair to your neighbors. Start using lockers if you don't want to re-enable the bell. It's not fair to the neighbors to have to deal with it and Amazon isnt going to do what you want consistently.

OP
OP

Deleted member 46958

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
So, it's not like when the bell rings it rings all of you right? You just disabled yours so the delivery guy has to ring someone else to get in? That seems a little unfair to your neighbors. Start using lockers if you don't want to re-enable the bell. It's not fair to the neighbors to have to deal with it and Amazon isnt going to do what you want consistently.

even if we put up a sign telling to knock on our window?

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
The real twist here is that all delivery people that came by knocked on OP's window, but they never heard it. So delivery guy rang the neighbors.

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
Turn your bell back on dude, c'mon. I would've felt terrible after the first occurance. Tape something over the speaker to muffle the sound or something.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Thanks all. An outside party/opinions are what I needed. I'll see if i can get the bell lowered, he's just really difficult to deal with.

you're probably not allowed to change it yourself but it is probably not that difficult to switch it with a different model if needed to. Just make sure you keep the original around and switch it back if you move out.

Wein Cruz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I read the explanation and do not understand what is wrong with your bell. Just reenable the bell and deal with it or stop ordering from amazon.

I'm still trying to figure out why a simple bell would cause a whole family to stress out. It must be insanely loud so use something to dampen the sound.

OP
OP

Deleted member 46958

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Yeah i'll look into sound deadeners or something thicker to place over the sound output.

Anybody know what kind of material is great for this??

nilbog

Oct 25, 2017
Stoned Snake approves of bell fix.

maxresdefault.jpg

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah i'll look into sound deadeners or something thicker to place over the sound output.

Anybody know what kind of material is great for this??
Foam or cloth, usually. Not too close if the speaker gets hot or anything, though.

Actually, tape over the speaker itself muffles the sound quite a lot. That's probably the easiest solution.

Deleted member 17388

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Put something over your bell?

Like, some acoustic dampening dome, hollow on the inside, something that goes unnoticed?

Oct 27, 2017
even if we put up a sign telling to knock on our window?
I don't work for Amazon, so I can't really say for certain, but from my understanding those guys are on super super tight schedules to make their quota. I doubt they're looking or thinking about the sign. Maybe if you always get a UPS guy instead of Amazon fulfilment, but even then who knows if they're going to look at the window for your sign. It's just not realistic to expect random delivery guys to be consistent with following your signs directions when they're wired to drop package, ring bell, off to the next house.

eebster

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The last thing delivery people wanna do when they are already in a rush to fulfill their delivery rate of the day is to read a note, try to figure out which window to knock on and just having their precious time wasted.
Either re-enable the bell or have your things delivered to a packing station. That's the way I do it anyway, its way more convenient to pick up your stuff after work from a place you decided on and know for certain that it will be there. Nothing more annoying than to figure out which neighbor received your package and having to wait another day to pick your stuff up cause your neighbor isn't home or whatever

Status
Not open for further replies.