• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Sekiro is my favorite FromSoft game so far, and that's thanks in large part to both the Sengoku Era Japan setting, samurai/ninja trappings, and the integration of some light stealth gameplay mechanics to complement the shinobi theme. During the lead-up to the game's release, I was constantly on the lookout for videos or written information pertaining to the game's stealth elements. After all, the game began as a Tenchu revival before morphing into a brand new IP, so that combined with the ninja protagonist hinted at stealth potentially being a decently large focus for the game's design.

Now that the game has been out for a bit and I've finished my first playthrough, I was wondering what people thought of the stealth mechanics and implementation within the game.

sekiro-shadows-die-twice.jpg

Stealth kills generally feel satisfying thanks to great animation and sound design.

To me it's clear that the intent with stealth in Sekiro was not to give the player a ninja power fantasy, silently dispatching all enemies in an area without ever alerting a single one of them. While I certainly would've welcomed that approach, being a huge stealth gameplay fan, I can appreciate the direction that FromSoft took with stealth here as well. After all, the game has Soulsborne DNA in its blood, so it needs to force the player into many combat situations against tough foes to showcase its frenetic, exciting sword-clashing core gameplay.

So here stealth is still very useful without being overpowered. Taking on multiple enemies in FromSoft games has always been a nightmare, so thinning the herd with stealth before engaging in an unavoidable fight with a mini-boss or other tough enemies is generally very worthwhile. I found myself utilizing stealth whenever possible to give myself an edge over the groups of enemies that outnumbered me, and both Sekiro's grappling hook and the verticality of the level design helped facilitate that satisfying feeling of being a ninja slinking along Japanese rooftops and striking without warning.

Allow the legendary StealthGamerBR to show you the game's stealth mechanics at their full potential.

But it's not perfect, of course. Enemy AI is rather rudimentary, behaving similarly to many pseudo-stealth action AAA games like the Assassins Creed series where one can simply take to higher ground and wait for enemies to de-aggro before stealth-killing them once more. There are woefully few stealth kill animations, and I would've loved to have seen more for the sake of variety. The blaringly loud sound that accompanies a stealth kill sells the impact, but it feels a little out-of-place and overly noisy for what should be a silent takedown.

So overall for me, I felt that the basic stealth gameplay very much complemented the core action design of the game in a pretty natural way that is commendable, especially for FromSoft's first foray into stealth design within a brand new IP. I also loved how stealth could give you an advantage in mini-boss fights, rewarding your careful approach with half of the opponent's health immediately drained.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
Terrible stealth mechanics tbh. It's like from few gens ago.
Most other devs wouldn't get away with such a janky part of a game.

Apr 24, 2018
I've always hated how finicky/difficult stealth games could be but Sekiro stealth feels pretty easy to pull off, albeit it can be very clumsy/janky at times.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Servicable. I wasn't expecting it to be deep so I am fine with it.

It does make me want a Tenchu game though (which is what Sekiro started as).

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Pretty basic and spotty. It makes a lot of the non-boss encounters trivial and the AI seems to not be able to decide if they're deaf and blind or superhuman.

But on the flip side it's existence gives the player some agency in how they approach situations to include a lot of bosses.

The stealth being as barebones and rudimentary as it is is why I wince when people say Sekiro is a Tenchu game.

Jangowuzhere

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What basically ruins the stealth is the lack of consistency. You are forced out of stealth in specific parts of the level for an action set piece or to throw a gameplay twist at the player. However, that stuff is presented like you fucked up and got spotted, but really it's just arbitrary scripting.

It's a shame, because the stealth is pretty fine for the most part.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Half-baked at best, but better than nothing I guess.

Oct 25, 2017
Terrible stealth mechanics tbh. It's like from few gens ago.
Most other devs wouldn't get away with such a janky part of a game.

Yep. The stealth wasn't good and wasn't really fun, but still felt like something you probably wanted to do to eliminate some enemies before engaging to prevent the games camera from freaking out on you in trying to deal with more than two enemies in an enclosed space.

Won

Oct 27, 2017
I upgraded the stealth skills early on, so it felt like the game pretty much knew it's trash.

Status
Not open for further replies.