• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Am I a total nutcase?

• No way man, you called it perfectly and this thread definitely won’t age like milk.

Votes: 32 16.0%
  • You’re bonkers

Votes: 168 84.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Destroyer

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
Maybe we'll eradicate this particular strain this year, but it'll just come back next year with a vengeance. Am I crazy? Maybe.

what if we just adapt? The strongest among us learn to survive and the weak die off. Is that fucked up?

Movie theaters become drive-ins. Bars become drive-thrus. Will we prevail? You betcha.

Interframe

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Well I mean, technically, it will probably last forever (in the same way as the seasonal flu does), but it won't matter by the time we have a vaccine or medication to treat its symptoms.

spyroflame0487

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
I think eventually it'll be come just another flu you'll get a vaccine for.

Just like you get a flu shot, you'll probably also get a COVID19 shot.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
karen-meangirls.jpg

WaveBird

Oct 29, 2017
I mean, I may be splitting atoms here but Coronavirus? Yes. Covid-19? No. We don't see SARS kicking around anymore.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Pandemic history says no. There has been some nasty stuff and none of it has lasted forever. At least not causing the same amount of damage as the original outbreak.

Maccix

Jan 10, 2018
There have been far more dangerous, deadly and more infectious viruses in the past and we have wiped them out for good even without todays technology. The black death alone decimated half of europe and eventually we got in control.

oofouchugh

Oct 29, 2017
Night City
Its *like* a new type of flu that will exist in the ecosystem like normal, the effect it has will just lessen as humans build up individual and herd immunity and vaccines get rolled out.

Last edited:

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
Black plague disappeared even without modern technology, I think we'll have it under control once a vaccine comes into play.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Well there will be "new novel coronaviruses" in the future. The Coronavirus is one type of virus that causes "the common cold," and this is a "novel coronavirus," e.g., one we haven't seen before. But, the disease caused by this strain of coronavirus, COVID-19, is not something that's going to come around every year. It won't be like the flu.

Beyond that though the world will be more prepared. One reason South Korea was particularly well equipped to tackle coronavirus was because they had to deal with SARS and MERS in he last 2 decades, diseases that generally spared Europe and the Americas. In the aftermath of the Coronavirus, Europe and the Americas will adopt action plans that'll be closer to South Korea. Likely not as strict.

This type of prepareness may only last 10, 20, 30 years, but it'll be something more than the complacency we had prior.

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
If your warning systems are good and you get on it in the very earliest stage you can isolate it. We had a case in Germany months before the pandemic, but the company where it popped up shut down immediately and all the contacts of the person who was tested positive were established and quarantined. The outbreak was delayed at least for quite some time.
I hope travel warnings will come out much sooner and more frequent. A lot of the cases we have here originated from ski tourists who visited Italy. Those could have been massively reduced.

Haloid1177

Oct 25, 2017
At worst we'd have it for 18 months until a vaccine is proven in trials and distributed to the masses.

Oct 28, 2017
Covid 19 is stable and unlikely to mutate like the flu does. It is here forever until we develop a vaccine. Until then we will need better testing to isolate outbreaks and implement procedures to slow and stop the spread while using medication and other treatments to help the infected.

The problem here and now is that we were caught with our pants down. A new virus showed up that transmits easily and quickly. By the time China and Trump started taking it seriously the virus had already been in the US and other nations for weeks.

Eventually covid19 will be treated like the flu. People will get it but we will be better equipped to test and treat people without doctors being overwhelmed and the country being forced into lockdown.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Been saying this. It's going to be around like the flu forever. Think we can only adapt. Just another virus to lookout for.

OFM put it better than I could above. This has been a reality for me for over a month now.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
I mean, I may be splitting atoms here but Coronavirus? Yes. Covid-19? No. We don't see SARS kicking around anymore.

SARS-CoV killed people way to fast and burned itself out, that's why it's gone. MERS-CoV is still around, doing it's thing on a smaller scale after it's initial explosion and I've got a feeling SARS-CoV-2 will end up like that. It won't disappear like SARS-CoV did, but it'll scale back down as our bodies adjust to it and we come up with medicine or a vaccine for it.

Its a new type of flu that will exist in the ecosystem like normal, the effect it has will just lessen as humans build up individual and herd immunity and vaccines get rolled out.

While this is true, this isn't a flu virus, it's not related to influenza at all. We don't know what the future holds for this virus and where it'll end up. More then likely it'll take the same route that MERS did, not go away, but it won't be infecting people on a mass scale like it is now.

What I mean is, corona is unlike anything we've ever faced before.

Except it's not. This is the third time in the last 20 years a Coronavirus has gone zoonotic and made the jump from animals to humans and reached at least epidemic stage. It's happened before and it's something that will happen again. Hopefully, the next time we'll be more prepared. We just got caught with our pants down because the world is politically divided and society has been with a wave of stupidity.

oofouchugh

Oct 29, 2017
Night City
There have been far more dangerous, deadly and more infectious viruses in the past and we have wiped them out for good even without todays technology. The black death alone decimated half of europe and eventually we got in control.
Black plague disappeared even without modern technology, I think we'll have it under control once a vaccine comes into play.

We've had small outbreaks of the plague as late as 2017. The fact it doesn't spread anymore is attributed to continuously improved hygiene standards, insecticides, antibiotics, and vaccines.

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
We'll have a vaccine in 12-18 months. This is going to take a long time to get under control, but it's not going to be "forever."

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It'll be around forever in the sense that cases will appear on and off for a long ass time. If you mean this level of pandemic stuff, no.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
We'll have a vaccine in 12-18 months. This is going to take a long time to get under control, but it's not going to be "forever."
The vaccine isn't even the absolute for getting it under control. We can likely have treatments to mitigate the severity ready before then.

We're gonna be dealing with this for a while, but not at this level forever.

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
it's going to last forever insofar as any virus we've dealt with in the past has. we'll develop a vaccine and move on with our lives

PoppaBK

Oct 27, 2017
It will likely be around effectively forever, but will be a mild cold type disease probably by the end of next year or so. I expect to here about every single death in the media for the next 5 years though.

harry the spy

Oct 25, 2017
Almost certainly will become endemic, but there most likely will be a vaccine . But if people don't stop eating wild animals, we could always get a virus combining the worst of mers (high death rate) and sars cov2 (asymptomatic - presymptomatic transmission), in which case, if we don't develop good antivirals, goodbye civilization

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, we had "World War 3?" threads every time a world leader engaged in dick waving, so when something actually serious and non-localized happened it was inevitable.
Yeah I remember all the "is this the end of civilization?" Threads when trump was elected so this spiked the already high anxiety levels

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Coronavirus' will always be a thing
COVID-19 will not
The next Coronavirus could be worse than COVID19, or also much less deadly
The world should now have learned to be better prepared - hopefully

Lock post

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I know these are difficult times, but it is important to keep conversation surrounding this grounded. Please don't make threads that are essentially just fear mongering, even if rooted in concern.

Status
Not open for further replies.