• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So something I continually see on this forum, especially with threads dealing with SIE's management, etc...is that Jim Ryan is not liked. I don't follow the corporate structure or main higher ups position changes of PlayStation or of the other two console publishers so I dunno if the negative outlook on him has to also do with something before his position change to CEO and President of SIE.

I'm not too familiar with it and someone can correct me but from what I get he fumbled on a couple details regarding on PS5, crossgen games, and I guess organic growth, again I don't know too much details so if someone can fill me in that would be great. I also see that with the downsizing of Japan studio that people blame him for that as well.

Basically can someone fill me in on why he gets so much hate?

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 days): Console wars trolling, history of similar behavior
Because he insulted 15+ year old games that nobody really plays or talks about anymore. Also, he's not buying up the industry.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
Seems to stem from that one comment he made about backwards compatible games, despite the fact he and his team then delivered a console with fantastic PS4 BC.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
He lacks charisma, which for many here it seems, is what is most important in an exec. He really is a bag of wet sand when talking, but as long as the games keep coming, that is what matters.

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
I think it is because of his old comment about GT being outdated and because he doesn't talk much about their plans so people think he is ruining playstation.

Then you got the Japan Studio mess and the rumors about PSN legacy shutting down.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
He said some dumb things here and there, like this about backwards compatiblity

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like Sony has changed its take on backwards compatibility much. Sony's head of global sales and marketing, Jim Ryan, told Time that he doesn't see why anyone would play old games given the advancements in fidelity achieved today.

"When we've dabbled with backwards compatibility, I can say it is one of those features that is much requested, but not actually used much," said Ryan.

"That, and I was at a Gran Turismo event recently where they had PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4 games, and the PS1 and the PS2 games, they looked ancient, like why would anybody play this?"
www.vg247.com

"Why would anybody play this?" says Sony's Jim Ryan about backwards compatibility

Backwards compatibility support on PlayStation 4 is a feature many want, but only a few will actually use, according to…

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
To some people when their side isn't clearly steamrolling the "console war", heads must roll.

That's pretty much it.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
He's done some great things for modern PlayStation.

But he basically made himself the face behind the company's lacklustre support of its legacy titles.

It's kinda that simple. Folks who don't care about the latter naturally won't have any problems with him (unless he's done stuff I'm not aware of).

Jun 12, 2018
Because he speaks the truth about certain matters like BC and gamers don't like hearing the truth.

He also doesn't sugarcoat anything he says which I appreciate.

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe Because he said the "we believe in generations" thing and then it turned out horizon forbidden west will also be for PS4.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Because of his quote about Gran Turismo 1 and backwards compatibility. People also blame him for Studio Japan for some reason.

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
I guess for being against backwards comparability and things like Sony's new censorship policies and shutting down Studio Japan and the PS3/Vita stores happened on his watch.

Oh yeah and he lied about caring about generations too.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Some carefree off-the-cuff remarks about backwards compatibility, mainly.

Then there's the out-of-context "generations" quote that does the rounds.

But really, it was this one terrible close-up that was his undoing.

AtUILKM.gif

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There was someone high up at Sony they tried to make a nonsensical excuse to block crossplay. Not sure if it was him.

Conan

Oct 25, 2017
People buy into their own fanfiction about good and bad guys in these massive corporations.

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I love gaming exec who also like games not only money. Hes the latter tho.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
He was definitely on the wrong side of history with crossplay
www.eurogamer.net

Sony defends decision to block PS4 cross-play with Xbox One and Nintendo Switch

Sony has defended its decision to block cross-play between PS4 and Xbox One after coming under fire from gamers this we…

Jim Ryan: Yeah. We've got to be mindful of our responsibility to our install base. Minecraft - the demographic playing that, you know as well as I do, it's all ages but it's also very young. We have a contract with the people who go online with us, that we look after them and they are within the PlayStation curated universe. Exposing what in many cases are children to external influences we have no ability to manage or look after, it's something we have to think about very carefully

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cross-play and BC mentality are the two big ones that come to mind, and in both cases his comments on them aged pretty poorly.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Because fan forums need to have characters in the narratives of these companies, and Ryan has said just enough publicly that people disagree with for him to be cast as a destructive force within Sony.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
He's said a few dumb things but overall I don't care. The extant of my feelings about him are that he's boring to watch compared to a lot of other gaming execs, but that a very light condemnation.

I honestly think some of the reason for the rep he has with enthusiasts is that he doesn't come off as fun and friendly, and people get too attached and want to feel like they matter to companies and the people running them so when someone doesn't give off that vibe he must be doing a horrible job despite the market position Playstation is in.

Status
Not open for further replies.