• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bend Studio and Ready at Dawn were both small devs that mainly worked on Playstation Portable games, but Sony pumped a lot of money into them and now they had an opportunity to jump into AAA games on the PS4. Both went for something impressive but highlighted the Orders textures or Bends enemy hordes but that was mainly tech demo stuff and forgot the other parts of what makes a good game.

Both came out and were not great as they received negative reviews and yet were hyped by PlayStation as they invested a lot into the hopes of these studios on delivering the next great PlayStation franchise.

So as we can see it's not easy moving up to huge Blockbuster games, I actually enjoyed the Order and I felt that game had a lot of potential that was never reached. :(

giphy.gif

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
It may not have achieved GoW scores, but it appears the majority of reviews do not argue it as "bad".

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Wow, really with that title? The game is not bad based on what I've seen. Easy Allies likes it aside from glitches.

evilcar

Oct 25, 2017
Lol @ "bad". Spoken like someone that has neither played it nor looked at any of the positive reviews/impressions.

Dinobot

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
At least Days Gone isn't linear and actually lasts longer than 4 hours. It's a decent game that obviously doesn't hit the high bar previous Sony funded games hit this gen, but it's certainly not bad.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like you could make an alternate thread that read like:

So with Anthem being bad, RPG Devs have struggled to move into GaaS gaming

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
What the fuck are you even talking about? Game isn't even released whose to say if its good or bad. Or were folk chomping at the bit that badly for a ps4 exclusive to not hit an 80 plus metascore?

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I thought the order was a pretty nice game, a bit too restrictive as a narrative linear game, but still fun and interesting story wise. a shame it'll never get a sequel :(

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
71% isn't above average among 60$ games I think. At 20$ they might get away with that.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
/thread
This is why this industry is infatuated with crazy high scores. Apparently anything below an 8 is "bad" nowadays. Dying light was "bad" too right?

Oct 27, 2017
The OP is missing that while DG and Order May be flawed, the bulk of the product appears to be good but other factors reduce the review scores

DG: Derivative, fun but story is so-so and no new ideas

Order: Fun, derivative, short story mode and no other features for $60 at launch

So it seems like both games aren't bad just flawed.

Hopefully the reaction to DG doesn't spook Sony and affect Bend negatively. It's their first big console game since PS2, I'd love to see them get more chances. Other major devs get several shots to get it right.

Sadly Ready At Dawn and Sony don't seem to have as close a working relationship as before 1886. Would have loved RAD to reboot Jak on PS4

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Day's Gone isn't "bad" its just average, some will love it, some will hate it, a majority will end up thinking its just okay and has issues.

Dinobot

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Something lacking content, engagement, a core gameplay loop, or has many bugs is what I'd consider bad.

Anthem is bad. Anthem is a 5/10 or 6/10 at best.

Days Gone is good. It's a 7/10.

Big difference.

Lumping Days Gone with the term "bad" associates it with actual bad games like Anthem or Crackdown 3.

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Lots of people call World War Z "bad" and I'm still loving it having maxed out two classes and half the weapons so far. Makes me excited for Days Gone and I'm struggling to find people calling it "bad", if anything I'm seeing some next level gameplay mechanics along with some glitches.

People want games to fail too much IMO.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not like the game is a total failure. The visuals alone are pretty damn amazing considering they're like a third the size of Naughty Dog or SSM.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
. Both went for something impressive but highlighted the Orders textures or Bends enemy hordes but that was mainly tech demo stuff and forgot the other parts of what makes a good game.
Which makes sense considering Sony's approach to AAA games. We know that a lot of developers have big trouble when developing their first HD/big projects, and we have seen lots of them struggling to offer games with a modern presentation/graphics. Today we were discussing exactly how the new Fire Emblem looks kind of bad because it's the first HD game from IS.

But considering how Sony puts graphics/presentation first for all their big games, it makes sense that when their small/inexperienced studios developt their first big/home console games don't fail on graphics. On the other hand we have gameplay, that was really poor in The Order and it seems that is the same for Days Gone.

Tomasoares

Oct 28, 2017
The Order was fun, but it's no way a $60 game. As for Days Gone, it looks like it has much more technical and design problems

Pancho

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
People should just stop treating reviews as some sort of undeniable gospel. And that avarage is pretty allright and i will get it down the pipeline eventually

Status
Not open for further replies.