• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oscarzx n

May 24, 2018
Santiago, Chile
I know I'm not the only one who says this, but: Atlus makes weird choices when it comes to selecting the platform where their games are going to be, most notably in recent years, for example:

-They are one of the few notorious japanese developers that still doesn't seem to care at all about making games on PC (I know Catherine recently was released on Steam, but that was ported by Sega, so it doen't really count). Literally almost every other japanese comany, even some not too big like Marvelous, Arc Systems, Idea Fatory or Nis, are porting at least some of their games to PC and they seem to do well, so why Atlus just doesn't seem to care?.

-They decided to make many exclusive games for the 3DS as well as multiplatform games on PS Vita and not on the Switch in 2018 and 2019, something that obviously backfired because the 3DS games didn't sell that well (and for that reason they don't even have big sales expectations for Persona Q2 in the west) and while the Persona dancing games did decently on Vita in Japan, Catherine bombed and they are not even bringing that version to the west.

- They ported Persona 4: Dancing all Night to PS4 but not Persona 4 Golden, they literally are just losing money not bringing that game to other systems and it's not like they don't want Vita to lose an excluive because, as I said, they ported DaN to PS4.

- They are porting to Switch Persona 5S a game that is made for people that already played Persona 5 (so Switch owners that already have a PS4, played P5 there and want to play S on the go), but not the real Persona 5 or the Royale. They already made something like that with the Q games, but at least there was the excuse that Persona 3 or 4 were not as easy to port to 3DS and at least there they made something exclusive that used the 2 screens well, but here I don't know what kind of sense that makes, the games can be ported to Switch and S just ends being just something aimed for a very especific group of players on the Switch.

Those are the main things I can think but there is more obviously. Do you think Atlus makes some weird platform choices or I'm just exaggerating?

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Atlus never ports games by themselves, when a multiplat or port happens is done by another dev

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
We don't really know what goes on behind the scenes, since they haven't really spoken to the reasons behind exclusivity or multiplatform choices. But Atlus is a small company, and porting requires more effort than people think. Atlus obviously loves money, so if it were a straightforward and quick process, I doubt they'd just let the opportunity pass.

i-Jest

Oct 25, 2017
Devs make a game for a platform they feel fits their vision best. That's not weird just a creative direction they're fine with. Switch will not get every major or minor game on other platforms. Make your peace with that.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
I mean, you're right lol. P4G would make them easy money whether it was ported to Switch or PS4 etc. I fully feel this annoyance lol.

RadioJoNES

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They make as much sense as remastering a game with worse art.

Desma

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, the one thing I don't understand is why Persona is on Sony consoles and SMT is on Nintendo ones

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
They're very strange. I think Persona would be successful on Switch and Shin Megami Tensei would be successful on PS4, and both would do well enough on PC. Plus there was that whole thing with initially only planning on Persona 5 for the PS3. They just don't really seem to have this all thought through.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
They are one of the few notorious japanese developers that still doesn't seem to care at all about making games on PC
Then there was that time they commissioned that awesome SMT metroidvania on PC only as a fake April Fool's joke, in Japanese only as a limited time download of course.

Ashilyn

Oct 27, 2017
Atlus is dumb, news at 11.

I love so many of their games and series, but their history of questionable business, platform, and design decisions is long and storied.

Kendall

Banned
Apr 22, 2019
We don't really know what goes on behind the scenes, since they haven't really spoken to the reasons behind exclusivity or multiplatform choices. But Atlus is a small company, and porting requires more effort than people think. Atlus obviously loves money, so if it were a straightforward and quick process, I doubt they'd just let the opportunity pass.
Yeah, we really don't know what goes on behind the scenes. For all we know, Persona 4 Golden and Persona 5 were considered for every platform, but were ruled out by analysts who know internal problems with development, advertising, and the amount of resources the company can deploy.

It's so easy for us to judge risks like putting something on the Vita after it failed and to assume companies have limitless deployable resources. We don't have a sense of the analytical and business side of things, or the development process.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
^^^

I like to imagine anything Atlus staff say has a rising intonation at the end of every sentence, not because they watch too much Kardashians, but because they're legit quizzical about everything and want to know what the hell is going on.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
Yeah, we really don't know what goes on behind the scenes. For all we know, Persona 4 Golden and Persona 5 were considered for every platform, but were ruled out by analysts who know internal problems with development, advertising, and the amount of resources the company can deploy.

It's so easy for us to judge risks like putting something on the Vita after it failed and to assume companies have limitless deployable resources. We don't have a sense of the analytical and business side of things, or the development process.

Of course it's easier for us to say stuff like this looking from the outside. It's one of those things that will always be an issue in the world of gaming. A lot of us want certain games or have certain opinions that are much easier said than done. It sucks, I know, but it's the truth. It's so easy to say things like "I wish game X was on Switch or PS4 or XB1" etc and for all we know it could be one of the most difficult things for a studio to do or the studio does it and doesn't make as much money as they thought they would cause people didn't live up to their word of buying a game day one etc.

BRSxIgnition

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Their choices make no sense. Only spinoff come to other platforms while the mainline games needed to really appreciate those spinoff remain chained to their console of choice.

Even when they could be making gangbusters with minimal effort and porting to a single additional system.

Kendall

Banned
Apr 22, 2019
Of course it's easier for us to say stuff like this looking from the outside. It's one of those things that will always be an issue in the world of gaming. A lot of us want certain games or have certain opinions that are much easier said than done. It sucks, I know, but it's the truth. It's so easy to say things like "I wish game X was on Switch or PS4 or XB1" etc and for all we know it could be one of the most difficult things for a studio to do or the studio does it and doesn't make as much money as they thought they would cause people didn't live up to their word of buying a game day one etc.
Yeah. In all likelihood, it probably has something to do with finite resources of the company. What if something went wrong with the Switch version, Xbox, or PC version. Would they be able to patch it? Would multi platform Persona 5 limit their ability to make Persona Q and Persona Royal? Do they shell out Persona everywhere they possibly can at the risk of a creative vision?

Anyway. I'm sure Atlus and Sega are watching carefully to see how Joker in Smash and the spin off on Switch turn out. If we put our money where our mouths are with these safe tests, the Persona brand and the company probably will grow.

Papertoonz

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
PQ2 being on the 3DS is more due to the fact that the game design it's using needs the two screens, not saying it couldn't be on other systems it's just i don't think the devs wanted there first game not the 3DS to be a spin off of another series

P4D was ported to be along side the other two dancing games, it made for a more fitting package

as for P5S they are not making it and it's not this happened before, the arena games came out on xbox360 and no other persona games have been on that line of systems, i think they just let the devs chose which platform to work on for the spin offs

in the end Atlus gonna Atlus

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
There seems to be a gentlemen's agreement, if not a financial one, that going forward the mainline Persona series will be exclusive to PlayStation, and the mainline Shin Megami Tensei series exclusive to Nintendo.

Of course, it'd be best for the fans if both series were multiplatform. But that's just not happening I guess.

As for PC ports, that's 100% SEGA Europe's doing. I guarantee you that an independent Atlus would never have released a game on Steam in a million years.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Atlus has always been weird with platform choices and tend to be very stubborn. I think PC is damn near impossible to convince them on, and the best you'll get there is Sega hiring port studios to port their older games to PC.

Atlus generally wants to keep mainline Persona on PlayStation, and mainline Shin Megami Tensei on Nintendo platforms. The latter has the major exception of Nocturne, and technically NINE, but no one cares about NINE (and rightfully so). Persona only has the exception of releasing on PC (ironically) in 1999 in Japan only. Atlus is stubborn in keeping mainline Persona on Sony platforms though. Before R was detailed and S was announced, I called it that P5 would not come to Switch. I was right, and instead we got a spinoff, now making it three Persona spin-offs (Q, Q2, Scramble) and a character in Smash. Atlus almost never does multiplatform at initial release. Few exceptions to this exist, including releasing Persona 5 on both PS3 and PS4 (it was developed at a PS3 game for most of it's life, and the PS4 version actually caused at least one of it's delays), Catherine Full Body (PS4 and Vita), and Persona 3 and 4 Dancing.

I don't expect the mainline Persona games to make it to Nintendo platforms, as much as I would LOVE to have those on Switch. However I do think that a Nocturne port/remaster is coming for Switch. Atlus has expressed interest in doing something with the game, and putting it on Switch would make perfect sense to build hype for SMTV and would bring the only mainline game (at least that people care about) that's never been on a Nintendo platform to a Nintendo platform.

Atlus has had some strange ports in their history though. The original SMT is most commonly known for the SFC version, but there's also a PC Engine version (TurboGrafx 16), Sega CD, PlayStation 1, and Game Boy Advance, and mobile version.

Atlus makes weird choices and can be a weird company in general. Following them for a number of years I can sort of figure them out, but even then they are a wild horse. My personal guess on why they're weird with platform choices is just familiarity or preference for a particular console's or company's hardware, with another influential reason being where they think the money is.

jrDev

Banned
Mar 2, 2018
This is 2019...they are under Segas umbrella...porting a game shouldn't take a lot of "resources". At this day and age, if the problem with not having a game on another platform is not that it can't run it or paid exclusivity...then there is really no excuse besides making terrible decisions. We have companies the size or smaller than Atlus making multi platform games for crying out loud...

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
That one was always an odd decision for me and even for Atlus is weird. Many of their games have had remasters and they didn't get a complete art style change. I get they wanted many of the humans that didn't have portraits in the original to have portraits, but I would have much rather them kept the existing portraits and add in the new ones that didn't have them before. Sure the art styles would clash a bit, but they already do! The demons (except the new ones, of which there aren't many compared to the rest of the game) all use the old Kazuma Kaneko art. Even Mastema, a major character/demon, who was created just for Strange Journey STILL uses his old portrait.

Devil Survivor Overclocked and 2 Record Breaker didn't change art styles. SJ already had a lot to gain from purely a remaster with the visuals in the dungeon crawling updated. Those in the original always looked pretty bad, and are in fact much improved in Redux! Instead they had to downgrade the art too for some reason.

LostSkullKid

Nov 27, 2017
While I wish that Royal also had a Switch version, I'm glad Persona 5 S is a different game. Like I definitely wouldn't have bought vanilla P5 on Switch after Royal got announced but if Persona 5 S was a Switch version of Royal, it would've been really fucking weird to announce separately. So, I'm glad we're getting something entirely new. Would've preferred a new Arena but that's inevitable (I also don't really care what system that ends up on cause I wouldn't be playing that in handheld mode at all cause I ain't playing a fighting game besides like Smash without a fightstick), so I think everything's all good in the end. Seeing as I already have a Vita and don't want to sacrifice the portability, I'd have no interest in P4G on PS4, other than the fact that it'd be nice for some other people to have the chance to play it. Though, a port on a portable system I actively use would be nice.

//ARCANUM

Oct 25, 2017
I'm half expecting them to never port Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE and for it to be trapped on the Wii U forever.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is nothing new. This company thought thataunching Persona 4 as a PS2 exclusive in 2008 was a great idea. They eventually decided to make an HD updated port of this game but made it exclusive to the goddamn PS Vita of all consoles. In 2019 anyone with a PS4 and everyone with a PS3 that was bought from 2008 forward can't play P4.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
This is 2019...they are under Segas umbrella...porting a game shouldn't take a lot of "resources".
Yep, that's the main problem here.

SEGA loves to port everything (VC4 last year was released on all platforms), Yakuza games are being succesful on Steam, and even older games like Bayonetta are having late PC ports. And it's IMO a good decision, and a good way to preserve the games (PC will be always the best platform to preserve games when thinking about the future).

I don't care that much about exclusivity, spending a few euros in a new PS or Nintendo system is not that bad, but I can't image why SEGA is not pushing the ports.

Jeb

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Mar 14, 2018
Atlus has no business sense, they released the greatest game on earth as a PS2 exclusive...in 2008.

The only reason this company is afloat is word of mouth.

lucancel

Oct 30, 2017
Italy
I'm sure Atlus and Sega are watching carefully to see how Joker in Smash and the spin off on Switch turn out. If we put our money where our mouths are with these safe tests, the Persona brand and the company probably will grow.
Not buying p5s. I will not fall on your logic.
They had the chance to bring a great jrpg, p5, on a platform where jrpg sold well (see xb, otopath) and they decided to cash in for a mosou type of game..all this while smt Is on development. It all makes sense. They probably want to place just one mainline franchise on a ns and the other one on PS systems.

Why the do not go multiplatform Is beyond logic, everyone should be able to play both p and smt games given the grapichs engines.
Also not releasing Golden on other platforms...lol...depressing really

Last edited:

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Atlus is a relatively small company with relatively small teams. It is easier for them to focus on one platform at a time for development. Now that they are owned by Sega ports are a much easier proposition, but don't expect multiplatform development from them any time soon. You can say their decisions make no sense, but there is a reason they are around today and successful when so many mid-size Japanese developers/publishers died last gen. They are kind of like Falcom in that regard.

OP
OP
Oscarzx n

Oscarzx n

May 24, 2018
Santiago, Chile
This is nothing new. This company thought thataunching Persona 4 as a PS2 exclusive in 2008 was a great idea. They eventually decided to make an HD updated port of this game but made it exclusive to the goddamn PS Vita of all consoles. In 2019 anyone with a PS4 and everyone with a PS3 that was bought from 2008 forward can't play P4.
I would say that around that time there were plenty of japanese developers that didn't want to make the jump to the next gen, so Atlus were not the only ones, but now it's a different story.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just think they get off on being withholding.
atlus when they make a dumb platform choice

tumblr_ozoz4k0mm51wt38kjid.gif

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Persona 4 did really well on Vita so they probably figured that's where their audience is at. I also get the feeling that they really don't want to develop for HD consoles which is why they've released so little on the PS4 and Switch and have been sticking to the Vita and 3DS for as long as they have. I'm also pretty sure there's contracts and exclusivity deals involved.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
It's still hilarious to me how much they milked the living shit out of P4 for years on end well into the 7th gen yet it's only on PS2 and the Golden is only on Vita. Incredible.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
This is 2019...they are under Segas umbrella...porting a game shouldn't take a lot of "resources". At this day and age, if the problem with not having a game on another platform is not that it can't run it or paid exclusivity...then there is really no excuse besides making terrible decisions. We have companies the size or smaller than Atlus making multi platform games for crying out loud...
It's clear that Sega takes a more hands-off approach when it comes to managing Atlus, however. They're practically their own entity within Sega, which is intentional from both parties following the acquisition. I'm sure that factors into the platforms their games find themselves on, too.

What I'm saying is that it's not like Atlus are complete idiots, and neither is Sega. There are absolutely reasons behind their platform decisions. Reasons none of us know of, because they haven't made them public.

Status
Not open for further replies.