• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

To clarify, this is NOT emulation. This is a full on remake of Sonic 3 & Knuckles, which pulls the level data from the original carts in order to run the game in 16:9 mode. Think of it similar to Taxman's Retro Engine, but specifically for Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

In order to run the game, you must have a copy of Sonic 3 & Knuckles purchased from Steam (or elsewhere) to provide the art, level layouts, etc from in order to run this engine.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
This is very interesting and something I want to explore in retro games. To modify them to include true widescreen

L.O.R.D

Oct 26, 2017
wow, time to redownload the game from steam
i remember buying the collection from amazon many years ago.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
I wish Taxman had made his Retro Engine open source under the GPL.

It's his code and he can do what he wants, but it would have been great for the fan community. It's not like he would be losing any money considering the engine isn't being licensed out as far as I know. If anything he would probably gain a lot of improvements over time.

Subnats

One Winged Slayer
Nov 13, 2017
Ireland
Is there actually a non-Steam way to legally get the specific combined ROM this requires?
(I own it on Steam, I'm just curious about the specifics of the ROMs they ship on there)
I'd assume it should be extractable from most re-releases sans maybe the DS Classic collection otherwise this tool can combine a Sonic 3 rom and an & Knuckles rom which would probably work.

L.O.R.D

Oct 26, 2017
made a screenshots comparing playing from steam directly and the rest 3 are from the new project

Steam

D3jtf54XsAEXwP0.jpg

soft1
D3jtf9TWwAA5D6n.jpg

soft2
D3jtf7KXkAABYIR.jpg

xBRZ
D3jtf6TW0AMFDBU.jpg

about soft1 and 2, i am not really sure which one is 1 or 2 now, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.