• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
I know there is constant talk about it here, and within the industry itself, since everyone knows the industry needs more representation from all ethnic groups in general. I don't mean hiring minorities as just programming grunts prone to crunch & burnout in the industry, but placing those individuals in creative positions that would have a more direct impact with leadership and/or creative rolls in the games being made.
With that being said, If I buy Spiderman; Miles Morales, please charge me an extra $1 and use that money for student scholarships to help get more African American and Latino candidates into the industry as an expansion to the Sony University program and expand the program to intake more international talent. The program sounds great for the colleges that take part in them, but lets get more representation at a grassroots level and some smaller schools with more diverse student backgrounds.

Would you pay a $1 extra for Sony games knowing the funds were being appropriated to supporting a more diverse and inclusive gaming industry?

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
$70 is enough already to support diversity. They don't need anymore of my money.

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
People are already complaining about games being $70+. Paying extra is not gonna be well received.

Encouraging people to pay extra for "better services" just screams "trickle down economics".

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No I wouldn't just do it for every game.

I very often support charity and round up or give a few bucks, but it's on Sony to hire and support the right people.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Surely they can devote a portion of the already hefty price tag toward this.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No, Sony has more than enough money to support diversity themselves. It's absolutely laughable to imagine putting the burden of that responsibility on the consumer.

Hasi

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
They should just donate 1$ from the 50 you already pay them and slightly reduce their profits. They have plenty of money they don't me to pay for their CSR initiatives. If all they would do is transfer my money to their own fund, then I might as well donate that money myself to something that's not run by a corporation.

Oct 27, 2017
This is a solid idea.
But Sony have the capability to do this already, they make more than enough profit from these games, the simple fact is they don't care to do much more than lip service to improve diversity in the industry.

Satonaka

Oct 29, 2017
Madrid
I think a much better received approach would be to donate and hire the right people without increasing the already high enough price tag for PS5 games.

Besides, for it to be a legit donation in your behalf, it would have to be voluntary, and then you'd be helping the big corp avoid taxes anyway.

Oct 29, 2017
I'm absolutely all for diversity. But no. ÂŁ70 is enough and if you want to donate to a good cause then you can do it without charging more for an already expensive product.

kambaybolongo

Oct 25, 2017
iwl36evxxk1k.gif

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I'm sure Sony could spend $1 of the $50 they already get from the game rather than getting people to pay more, lol.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
If this was the approach to take, it should be Sony and other companies paying rather than the consumer. The consumer can donate money in their own time rather than building it into game purchases.

Derktron

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
I can tell you this much, I won't be paying $70 for a game, I rather wait for a sale in which is obviously going to happen. That's why I'm not worrying about getting these systems so early into the new generation.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
You could always donate money directly to HBCUs. At least then you'd know where your money was going.

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
They could've just spend the money they used to sign Travis Scott to do the same thing to promote real change from within. The same goes for Microsoft and Snoop Dogg.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
Donate yourself and stop begging Sony to take more of your money when game prices are already going up. That title is pretty cringe worthy.

This is like when you're checking out at a grocery store and the payment machine asks you if you want to donate a dollar, just so the company can claim/market that they donated X amount of dollars even though it wasn't them doing the donating.

Support causes directly, your money goes further and isn't used as a marketing point.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
1. People are already paying 50$ for an expansion pack. People don't need to spend more.

2. Just donate to a charity then which gives these opportunities to people. You can also hold off the game and donate 50$ directly instead of 1$

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
I usually don't make corporate fanboy jokes but Holy shit begging for a billion company to take your money to donate it is hilarious

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sony obviously has enough money to do good, and just chooses not to. This wont change if they take more money.

On the other hand, all of the Consumer Rights Defenders here who are so desparate to trash somebodys post about helping underprivileged people because "they charge enough already" are embarrassing. get ahold of yourselves theyre luxury goods.

I would pay 100 more a game if I *knew* it was being used to genuinely help people (rather than as corporate PR), like OP posits.

Status
Not open for further replies.