• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 20, 2020
This is about the importance of transparency and why the size of a brand shouldn't protect you from criticism. This whole rollout people have asked "why isn't Sony saying anything? When are they going to answer our questions" and this past week we have gotten a ton of information that has been primarily negative from them. Just a list of the information we've gotten in the last minute that people have been asking questions on:

1. Backwards compatibility is for the PS4 only and we still don't have full details on how its going to look

2. Backtracking on the importance of generations by dropping cross-gen on games thought to be next gen only via their marketing and wording

3. Raising the price of games 10$ without mention of it and price gouging the European market with an absurd 80 euro price tag on games

4. Not allowing peripherals to cross over because "ps5 games require duel sense" despite some of the games being cross gen

This is just some of it, Sony has great exclusives but as far as being on the side of the consumer they seemed to have taken quite a few steps back since the launch of the PS4 where all the news they dropped was in favor of the consumer. I truly don't think it matters much since they will sell a ton of PS5's anyway due to the size of their brand, but it sucks to see them trying to hide as much bad news as possible and hiding it in blog post or vaguely worded tweets.

Edit: This has nothing to do with console wars and that strawman is why I feel it doesn't truly matter what Sony does. They are fairly immune to criticism because of the size of their brand, myself being apart of the problem pre ordering a ps4 for a whopping 750$ from gamestop. But if an EA, or Ubisoft did much of what they are it would be the end of the world.

Last edited:

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Nah...This is a reaction thread first off, and the rest of that is your interpretation of things, not reality.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
backtracking on generations when 2 third of their exclusives are are not cross gen? how?

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
You won't get much agreeing with you here, OP, lol, but it does kind of feel that way when you lay it all out though I doubt that was the explicit reason for why.

TronLight

Jun 17, 2018
Really the only shitty thing is the price hike, and no backwards compatibility sucks but you'll live.

I don't get why people are up in arms about the cross gen games. Is this your first time going through a gen refresh?

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I have to agree. Everything outside of the promise of exclusives is disappointing for me.

My biggest disappointment is no enhancements for PS4 games. They're just going to sell us $40-60 remasters again.

Oct 25, 2017
This is about the importance of transparency and why the size of a brand shouldn't protect you from criticism. This whole rollout people have asked "why isn't Sony saying anything? When are they going to answer our questions" and this past week we have gotten a ton of information that has been primarily negative from them. Just a list of the information we've gotten in the last minute that people have been asking questions on:

1. Backwards compatibility is for the PS4 only and we still don't have full details on how its going to look

2. Backtracking on the importance of generations by dropping cross-gen on games thought to be next gen only via their marketing and wording

3. Raising the price of games 10$ without mention of it and price gouging the European market with an absurd 80 euro price tag on games

4. Not allowing peripherals to cross over because "ps5 games require duel sense" despite some of the games being cross gen

This is just some of it, Sony has great exclusives but as far as being on the side of the consumer they seemed to have taken quite a few steps back since the launch of the PS4 where all the news they dropped was in favor of the consumer. I truly don't think it matters much since they will sell a ton of PS5's anyway due to the size of their brand, but it sucks to see them trying to hide as much bad news as possible and hiding it in blog post or vaguely worded tweets.

I thought cross gen was being on the side of the consumer, now it's not?

1. Was expected
2. Many see cross gen as a good thing, their messaging was not
3. Yeah this sucks, there's no 2 ways about it
4. This one doesn't bother me too much

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Agreed with #2 and #3, but

Peripherals do cross over, only the Dualshock 4 doesn't.

We just got confirmation that 99% of PS4 games are playable on PS5. It's going to work exactly as you'd expect it to.

Deluxera

Mar 13, 2020
The only actual bad news is the price increase of games, and there are ways to get around that.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
backtracking on generations when 2 third of their exclusives are are not cross gen? how?

He's talking more about how Sony stayed away from mentioning that several of their first party titles were cross-gen back in June (Horizon 2, Miles Morales, Sackboy) so most would assume they were PS5-exclusives. He wasn't just talking about launch.

TheDanimal

победитель победитель куриный ужин
Oct 25, 2017
someone told me the PS5 might try to buy another PS5 once I connect it to my internet and tbh that's terrifying, I hope Sony comments on that

Turkoop

Oct 25, 2017
Cologne, GERMANY
Still two months to go.
3 out of 10 already announced titles are Cross Gen. That's pretty fair.
$10 is fine. It was overdue.
It's only the DS4 that won't work on PS5. All other will work.
Y'all need to stop with that negativity.

Elios83

Oct 28, 2017
Only bad thing is the price increase that is not even a Sony only thing. Most big publishers will price increase their AAA next gen games.

The rest is useless drama at best.

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
Having full BC with PS4 is somehow bad news?

Pushing innovation in controller space is bad news?

Also, they never backtracked the importance of generations.
They are still pushing next gen hard with next gen exclusives (Demon's Souls, Ratchet & Clank, GoW2). Just because some of the games were developed for PS4 and are now launching as cross gen games, doesn't change that.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
Game prices is awful but I don't agree with there only being bad news outside of exclusives.

Crossgen aren't bad news at all

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
Well they have what will be, given the track record of the developers, great exclusives so I guess that will weight very heavy when buying a console. At least it does for me.

Except the price games I reckon that most of these bad news will be forgetten in 1-2 years when more people will purchase their console. Buying one day 1 isn't that common.

Fizie

Jan 21, 2018
"Not allowing peripherals to cross over because "ps5 games require duel sense" despite some of the games being cross gen"

Ooof never thought about that actually. Not good

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
He's talking more about how Sony stayed away from mentioning that several of their first party titles were cross-gen back in June (Horizon 2, Miles Morales, Sackboy) so most would assume they were PS5-exclusives. He wasn't just talking about launch.
yeah, but saying Sony is backtracking on their generations idea when we have Demon Souls, R&C: rift apart, GoW, GT7, deathloop, Godfall ect... all signed by Sony and coming within the first year not being cross gen how is that backtracking? last gen we had LBP3 released as cross gen, and yet no one said Sony didn't believe in generations back then?

Oct 30, 2017

I agree with this so much.

While I am not against MM and HFW being cross gen at all, its their messaging. They mislead us into thinking that these games would give experiences that you can only get on PS5. Never once mentioning that these same games would be coming to PS4, meaning that they cannot take full advantage of the PS5 capabilities. If they had been upfront with this info, thats fine. But they were not. They saw the lashing MS took, decided to keep quiet and get their fans riled up about being next gen only to score PR points. Then drop this info in a blog post immediately after their big show. Just sticks to high heaven to me. Just be honest with your fans. Thats all I ask. Whether its Sont or MS, thats all I want.

Oct 27, 2017
Backwards compatibility is for the PS4 only and we still don't have full details on how its going to look
they said 99% of ps4 games will work, so you either download the games or pop in a disc. PSVR will work too.
Backtracking on the importance of generations by dropping cross-gen on games thought to be next gen only via their marketing and wording
they aren't backtracking. 3 games being cross gen (Horizon, Spider Man, Sackboy) do not mean 9 other PS5 only (2 of which are PC too) games don't exist. They did crossgen or last gen projects after next gen arrived with PS2/PS3, and PS3/PS4. This should not have shocked anyone.
Raising the price of games 10$ without mention of it and price gouging the European market with an absurd 80
that pricing is rough but the price hikes for next gen versions were already clear with NBA 2K, COD and I think Madden (May be wrong) so Sony didn't "raise the price". Xbox will do this too and you better believe Switch 2 games in 2022-23 will too.
Not allowing peripherals to cross over because "ps5 games require duel sense" despite some of the games being cross gen
I May be wrong but I believe you can use DS4 to play PS4 games on PS5. You can't use DS4 to play PS5 games and imo, this has been the norm for every gen. Bummer I guess but you can still use your DS4 on PS4, PS3, PC and mobile (and PS5 for Bc)

plus, PSVR will work on PS5 and sony will give a free adaptor for owners to use it on PS5.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
It's 99% backwards compatitble, majority of their games are PS5 exclusive, Demons Souls is a launch title, advancement in the controller, and $399 digital console for the specs we are getting yet lets all be overly negative. I don't get this forum sometimes

Johnny956

Oct 25, 2017

It was a event about the PS5, so of course they leave out the PS4 details. Also no company is going to put the bad news is their press events, you find out later in articles and blog posts. The events are PR pieces through and through

PcPlasticFuzz

Nov 4, 2017
This thread will get locked because many will defend every move Sony makes like it's their mum. However I agree with parts of what the OP has said and I'm still getting a PS5.

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
If I have a PS5 I should have my own Dual Sense. Why will I use the DS4? For multiplayer games like sackboy maybe?

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
yeah, but saying Sony is backtracking on their generations idea when we have Demon Souls, R&C: rift apart, GoW, GT7, deathloop, Godfall ect... all signed by Sony and coming within the first year not being cross gen how is that backtracking? last gen we had LBP3 released as cross gen, and yet no one said Sony didn't believe in generations back then?

Godfall and Deathloop are third party. At this point, I don't know if we can assume any of the Sony games are next gen exclusive until it's explicitly stated to be tbh. I don't necessarily agree with his point, but I get where the OP is coming from

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Of everything I am really shocked there is no info on the UI or features. I tried to find any images and my Google-fu failed. Surely someone has seen it?

Status
Not open for further replies.