• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Every Sony PlayStation 3 ID out there was compromised, provoking bans of legit players on the network.

A reported breach of a Sony folder containing the serial ID numbers for every PlayStation 3 console appears to have led to users being inexplicably banned from the platform. This is just the latest in a shocking spike in attacks on unsuspecting gamers.

Sony reportedly left a folder with every PS3 console ID online unsecured, and it was discovered and reported by a Spanish YouTuber with the handle "The WizWiki" in mid-April. Sony is depicted in his reveal video as the hind end of a rhinoceros defecating, for a general idea of the reaction posted on April 18 for non-Spanish speakers.

Now, several weeks later, players on PlayStation Network message boards are complaining that they can't sign on and are receiving the error message 8071006. After enabling two-factor authentication (2FA), one player was able to sign back in without issue, according to posts on the PS3 subreddit, which includes a link to instructions on how to opt into 2FA on the PS3.

threatpost.com

PS3 Players Latest Victims of Surging Attacks on Gaming Industry

Every Sony PlayStation 3 ID out there was compromised, provoking bans of legit players on the network.

Close if old, I haven't seen a thread with this topic mentioned.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
As less and less gets invested in fading platforms, I could see them becoming more and more susceptible to this stuff.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Well...thats one way to shutdown the traffic on PS3 store.

Either way this sucks but i think we already had a thread on this one.

ConfusedOwl

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
We did have a thread on this and I think we came to the conclusion that this is BS? Unless some other sources are reporting on it now.

OP
OP
delete12345

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Well...thats one way to shutdown the traffic on PS3 store.

Either way this sucks but i think we already had a thread on this one.
We did have a thread on this and I think we came to the conclusion that this is BS? Unless some other sources are reporting on it now.

This looks like to be the same source? Do you know the previous thread?

From the article, it mentioned there was another leak on June 18:

Another player on the PSNProfies forum put the stolen PS3 IDs and the ban together back on June 18.

Deleted member 44122

www.resetera.com

PlayStation 3 IDs being leaked leading to players being locked out News

PS3 Players Ban: Latest Victims of Surging Attacks on Gaming Industry I came across this article just posted recently. Seems pretty big news but haven't seen it on Era, or reported anywhere else. For your information to PlayStation 3 owners and use two factor authentication if you don't...
thread being closed for unreliability of source

OP
OP
delete12345

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
www.resetera.com

PlayStation 3 IDs being leaked leading to players being locked out News

PS3 Players Ban: Latest Victims of Surging Attacks on Gaming Industry I came across this article just posted recently. Seems pretty big news but haven't seen it on Era, or reported anywhere else. For your information to PlayStation 3 owners and use two factor authentication if you don't...
thread being closed for unreliability of source
I see. Requesting thread closure.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
If they ban everyone then they can't be hacked and the platform won't have any cheaters

Genius

stn

Oct 28, 2017
I seem to be able to login to my PSN properly, but I haven't actually turned on my PS3 since this incident. I had to deal with an account ban a few months ago because someone across the world somehow hacked my account and I didn't even realize it for at least a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.