• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 23, 2018
www.ign.com

Sony Exec: Transition from PS4 to PS5 Expected to Take 3 Years - IGN

A Sony executive has said that the full transition from PS4 to PS5 "will take about three years."

Speaking to AV Watch (translated via Google Translate) Sony's SVP of Global Product Strategy and Management Hideaki Nishino insisted that "forward compatibility is important" and that we'll be seeing cross-generational content that supports both PS4 and PS5 for a few years yet.

"The current assumption is that the transition from PS4 to PS5 will take about three years," Nishino added. "We have more than 100 million PS4 customers, but we will do our best to move to PS5 as soon as possible."

This is great news if you're sticking with your PlayStation 4 for the time being, as it means Sony is committed to supporting both generations of consoles for the time being. It complements the comments from SIE CEO Jim Ryan, who recently said that it was 'crucial' to keep serving PS4 owners after the pandemic showed how active that huge audience remains.

Makes sense to support PS4 base during the pandemic. But 3 years is longer than I thought. Will we really see them releasing first party exclusives on PS4 in 2023?

OP
OP
Handsome James
Aug 23, 2018
My mistake.
Didn't immediately see it when I searched for thread titles. A mod can close this if needed

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Many more cross gen games to Come then. How amazing ...
The transition from PS3 to PS4 took awhile, we had cross gen till like 2016. This isn't really surprising. I don't think Sony wants to give up on 110 million PS4 users before they transition to a PS5 down the road.

Poeton

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I mean, this has always been the case. Sony supports their last gen console for several more years after next gen kicks off. It's mostly 3rd party support with a few cross gen 1st party games. It will probably seem more prominent this time because these are the first Sony consoles that share a lot of the same archetecture.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
Even back at Investor Relkations Day 2019 they were saying this in relation to "Next Gen": "PS4 will remain the engine of engagement and profitability for next 3 years". It's crazy this is being made in to a "huge news!" right now. Page 6:

sieirdayinjwt.png

mangdo

Banned
Sep 18, 2020
Isn't this normal anyway? Wasn't the PS3 supported for a few years after the PS4s launch...

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's becoming more and more apparent, I think, that console generations aren't really that big of a deal any more. You're not buying these consoles to play games that can't be played anywhere else, especially now that many first party console exclusives are coming out on PC anyway, you're buying them because they're more powerful machines.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
I'm fine with this. Yes I know that people want to see next-gen stuff now and don't want gaming to be held back due to having to accommodate for the current gen, but there's a lot of people who can't afford a next gen platform now and/or are living with financial uncertainty due to the pandemic. They deserve to play upcoming releases just as much as early adopters do, and while they are already being punished with a lesser experience, they shouldn't be punished by not being able to play these games at all due to not being able to afford the $500 entry fee.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
The transition from PS3 to PS4 took awhile, we had cross gen till like 2016. This isn't really surprising. I don't think Sony wants to give up on 110 million PS4 users before they transition to a PS5 down the road.
While we got the Pro and Slim models of the PS4 in 2016, big exclusives like bloodborne was 2015. 2 years is the traditional cross-gen...

That sort of timing leads some relief to the Switch and even Microsoft sounds a bit more aggressive with the standard 2 years that they confirmed a couple months ago.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
As was said in the previous thread based on this article:

OK, so with the questionable translation of this (as brought up in this thread) as well as the fact that this thread has devolved into hostilities, petty drive-bys, and platform wars, we are now going to lock it up. If a better article with a more thorough translation gets posted, feel free to create a new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.