• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 4292

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's the same formula over and over again, I can only handle so much third person cinematic games.

Why can't their AAA titles be more like Puppeteer, or Astro Bot, or Gravity Rush?

I know they sell, but their reaching the point where they all feel too samey, and all start feeling incredibly boring.

Horizon - Beautiful game, brought down by its boring overworld, gameplay and story.

God of War - another beautiful game with a good story, brought down by the same boring gameplay and lackluster boss fights

Last of Us - Great story, great look, boring gameplay.

Spiderman - Good story, fun gameplay, boring and overall awful open world.

Death Stranding - Not safe, that was my bad was just starting to list recent Sony titles, I stand by my point of an awful, boring overworld and boring gameplay

Order 1886: Bad everything, except graphics.

Games are getting less about tight worlds, and tighter gamplay and more about cinematic, beautiful looking games and open worlds, and it's getting to be tiring.

I just want to see a AAA studio at Sony try something different, hell let Naughty Dog or Insomniac make a platformer again.

CalamityPixel

Oct 27, 2017
You call this safe?
tumblr_inline_o8usunX4SD1qgck7s_500.gif

V has come to

Dec 4, 2019
agreed

except Death Stranding. hopefully next gen has more stuff like that, Bloodborne, and TLG and less ubisoft games

ActWan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Did you seriously include Death Stranding when talking about "safe" games?
Also this entire thread isn't even talking about what's "safe" or not, you're just listing your opinions on said games lol

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I see you don't care for Death Stranding, but I can't understand an argument for that game being 'safe'.

Personally I loved it despite the flaws, and celebrate Sony's willingness to invest so much on a 'blank check project'.

iamandy

Nov 6, 2017
Brasil
Yeah, and all of them have trees.

Some really, really bad takes here. And LOL at include Death Stranding in a safe games list.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I slightly agree, but only in that Sony needs to encourage these studios to branch out beyond third person cinematic action games. I like what Sony's done with the format, but it's going to feel stale if that's still their strategy through the PS5.

SnazzyNaz

The Wise Ones
Nov 11, 2019
Gravity Rush has a wonderful style but the gameplay is highly derivative.
Also this entire thread isn't even talking about what's "safe" or not, you're just listing your opinions on said games lol
Seconding this.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's the same formula over and over again, I can only handle so much third person cinematic games.

Why can't their AAA titles be more like Puppeteer, or Astro Bot, or Gravity Rush?
Because people love those Sony AAA games and so they sell millions.
Puppeteer and Gravity Rush sold combined 2 copies.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
I think there is a certain style of game that comes to mind when I think Sony AAA. It's not very different than picturing UbiSoft AAA.

But on the flip-side, Sony does fill out their roster will killer AA material as well, so it's not like they're one-note across the board.

Anyway, good luck OP. Hope you wore a flame-suit.

angel_deamon

attempted ban circumvention by using an alt
Banned
Jan 8, 2018
The Last of US, Uncharted, God of War, Horizon, Days Gone all looks the same to me.

Spiderman and Death Stranding looks different

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't find any of these games boring.

I haven't played Death Stranding, but everything in that game goes against the criticism of being too safe anyway.

So i guess i completely disagree with your premise.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with the overall sentiment. I miss the more inventive side of Sony that was more prominent in previous console generations. It feels like all their studios want to be Naughty Dog now.

Gravity Rush is my favorite Sony IP of the gen.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
The irony of Death Stranding is that it has moments of being a radical, innovative game... until it forces you into a bad third person combat sequence, or tasks you with the same open world fetch quests as the rest of the genre.

MonsterMech

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Been this way since they found so much success with uncharted. They've been milking that fan base every since.

They're good at it, and they've built their game studios around that style of game.

PersianPrince

Feb 12, 2019
I agree we do need more output from Sony Japan because we need more games like Gravity Rush and the Pupeteer for sure.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
I slightly agree, but only in that Sony needs to encourage these studios to branch out beyond third person cinematic action games. I like what Sony's done with the format, but it's going to feel stale if that's still their strategy through the PS5.

It will not feel stale if the gameplay and story are different which the are .

Elios83

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah op, Death Stranding is safe, Dreams is safe, Concrete Genie and tons of other stuff are safe and all with the same formula.
Maybe when they do things differently you actually don't like or even consider it.

WhiteNovember

Aug 15, 2018
In a year with games like Days Gone (fits the formula), Death Stranding, Dreams EA, Medievil and Congrete Genie, we get a thread like this.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
That's one of the worst OPs I've seen in a while, basically just adding "boring" to any game.

ActWan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The irony of Death Stranding is that it has moments of being a radical, innovative game... until it forces you into a bad third person combat sequence, or tasks you with the same open world fetch quests as the rest of the genre.
I'd agree regarding the combat, but the gameplay loop is fetch quests. It's about the trip, not the objective.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Plenty of people have addressed Death Stranding.

I can't believe anyone could seriously say that the world, gameplay AND story are boring in Horizon.

You guys are correct, Death Stranding isn't safe, however it still follows the suit of a boring overworld, boring gameplay but great presentation

Say what you want about the gameplay but yeah the overworld is not boring.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
they just funded and published death stranding,
are developing a game a AAA budget game in a japanese setting, a setting that ubisoft dont want to touch.
rebooted from the ground up an iconic IP and pulled it off and it became GOTY
let their FPS developer make a AAA SP open world third person ARPG.
let MM work for 6 years on Dreams.

sometimes i think era dont really know what safe means.

Goro Majima

Oct 29, 2017
What about Death Stranding, Until Dawn, Concrete Genie, Frantics, Knowledge is Power, Hidden Agenda, Chimparty, Drawn to Death, Shadow of the Beast, or Matterfall?

Searsy82

May 13, 2019
My biggest (only) complaint about the AAA big hitter Sony 1st Party titles is just the lack of visual variety. I feel like I could take any character or environment out of most of those games and place it in the other and wouldn't look out of place. (Strictly speaking about graphical style, obviously spiderman would be out of place in GoW etc.)

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
Agree and disagree.

I think what Sony focuses on is telling a story, and they want to be that cinematic story driven experience. If your a fan of this, then you will love what Sony is doing, and i dont think there is anything wrong with that. I dont think Spiderman, God of War, or Horizon feels the same, though they do follow the same concept. thats what I disagree with you on. They dont actually feel the same.

If you are just saying that they need to be more experimental outside of these type of games, im ok with that. Astrobot i think is one of the best 3D platformers ive ever played, but at the end of the day I think sony has a vision. They want to tell a story.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Not really. I'd say their biggest problem is the same thing Nintendo struggled with in BOTW and Odyssey. Making enough worthwhile content .

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I think this game is boring. I think this gameplay is bad. I think this is awful. I love my mom. She is the best. She is not too safe. She is great.

Status
Not open for further replies.