• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
XB1 and PS4 games are still made with HDDs in mind. because of such, you aren't getting that revolutionary jump that next gen will bring

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
I mean

they also cost money and are non-standard so no one builds toward them

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I get the point you're trying to make, but man, what an awful example.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Not really worth it now. Limited benefit with games being designed around HDDs and were too expensive for a long time.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Current gen consoles are limited to sata 2 speeds and don't benefit much from ssd.

Oct 31, 2017
Not only are PS4 and XB1 games not designed with SSDs in mind, the consoles themselves can't take advantage of the SSDs because their I/O systems are antiquated and not designed to move massive amounts of data. What is your point?

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
thats not how this works. no dev is taking advantage of the ssds you may or may not install in your system.

the spiderman devs said that they had to account for the slower HDDs NOT in the PS4 because some people might replace their PS4 ssds with worse ones. So they were coding for the worst case scenario being 20 MBps.

next gen they will be coding for 5.5 GBps which is like 200x that.

GSR

Oct 25, 2017
I swapped in an old SSD I had lying around to my PS4 and have another small external SSD I use for my Xbox.

They make some benefit in loading, but not a ton. I think I saw the biggest jumps for Doom 2016 on XB1.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
SSD's are mostly useless on consoles, its the same with PC when it comes to gaming, unless you want to reduce load times.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
SSDs are great, but the surrounding hardware also has to be optimized to properly utilize a SSD to its fullest potential.

If you use a SSD in your PS4, you'll get something like this (per Cerny during his presentation) -

Tx7nBSb.png

Faster? Sure. But major bottlenecks still exist.

On the PS5 -

Fzmf14S.png

The reason the PS5 is exciting is because of the custom I/O that will reduce downstream bottlenecks and allow the SSD to be used to its maximum potential.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I never put an ssd in my consoles but I have a samsung 970 evo in my pc and it's fantastic.
There's nearly 0 games optimized for it though so it doesn't exactly change the way I do anything, I just load faster which I got used to in about a day with the Witcher 3.

I played all first party song games this gen as well as all Xbox one console exclusives and felt no need to put an ssd in there.

Deleted member 34714

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 28, 2017
You're kidding right? The CPU has a part in load times and the IO as well.

Just saying "just add an SSD, 4head" to them won't work as an optimal solution. The motherboard on a PS4/X1 can't take advantage of much an SSD because it doesn't support it and games are designed around HDD loads as well so you clearly missed the point of this all.

Status
Not open for further replies.