• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017

Here's a brief rundown of the limitations early adopters will face on day one:
  • "On day 1, PC Chrome gameplay won't support 4K, HDR, or 5.1 Surround Sound." Those features will be added in 2020 for PC players.
  • Stream Connect, which allows one player's Stadia viewpoint to be integrated with another player's stream, will not be available in any launch games. The first game to use it is expected to launch by the end of the year.
  • State Share (which lets users share save files via links) and Crowd Play (which allows for quick jump-in multiplayer through a YouTube stream) won't be integrated into games until next year.
  • At launch, Google Assistant integration will be limited to the ability to turn on the TV and start a game. Soon after launch, the Assistant button on the Stadia controller will work on Chromecast's Stadia homescreen. Assistant support on PCs and phones and during gameplay will come sometime after that.
  • Family Sharing (which lets you buy a game once and share it with accounts held by family members) "is not supported on day one, so you'll have to buy games for your child's account." The feature is planned for addition "early next year."
  • There is no Stadia UI for Achievements or Achievement notifications on day one. But if you happen to perform an in-game feat that would earn a specific Achievement, it will show up when the feature is rolled out "shortly after launch."
  • Chromecast Ultra units included in the Founders/Premiere bundles are the only ones that will work with Stadia on day one. Other Chromecast Ultra units will be able to play Stadia games after an over-the-air update "soon after launch."
  • The "Buddy Pass" that lets early adopters offer a free three-month Stadia trial to a friend will be sent "about two weeks after you receive your bundle, barring some unknown unknowns popping up."
  • Currently, "the phone is needed for initial setup and buying games." Buying games through a Chromecast Ultra or the Web is not supported, and the AMA gave no indication if or when it would be added.
  • As previously discussed, mobile support will be limited to Google Pixel phones and ChromeOS tablets at launch. A timeline for general iOS and Android support is still to be determined, but Pixel will likely be the only mobile support "this year," according to the AMA. Google says it "want Stadia to run on every screen eventually."
  • As previously discussed, the Stadia Controller's wireless functions will only work with Chromecast Ultra at launch. To use that controller with a phone or tablet, you'll need to plug it in with a USB-C cable. Generic USB controllers will also work with Stadia on PC or phones, but not on Chromecast.
  • As previously discussed, only 12 titles will be available for purchase on Stadia at launch, with 14 more promised by the end of the year. A handful of other previously announced "launch window" titles on Stadia are planned for early 2020.

Can you say half-baked? Holy crap.

This was posted this morning but couldn't find anything here, but lock it up if old.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
yeah man I'm so excited for the Stadia Pre-Alpha.

Edit 1: I mean the Stadia Prototype

Edit 2: I mean the Stadia concept pitch

Edit 3: I mean the Stadia first thought that was thunk

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Early adopters are beta testers more or less huh? I mean, kind of how it goes with a nee console but damn google could have let people know all of this like a month ago

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
That's a hell of a lot of selling points to leave out, even in the Founders Edition.

Tunichtgut

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Why are they rushing the release, if they are not really ready? I mean, you only get one first impression, and that is gonna stick with you for a long time...

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
I......I think I might be able to play it with my Chromebook Tablet. I have an older Chromecast Ultra, and a Android TV Box...so might have to wait for those.

I just want to try demos, to see how it is.... don't plan to buy any games.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's clear it's a soft launch beta at this point. I wish the launch was cleaner, but that's what we have.

Danteyke223

Banned
Oct 24, 2018
Wow if Microsoft launches next year with Xcloud fully they are going to slaughter them.. wow this Stadia thing is a half baked ... or quarter baked mess?

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wowww. I'm not even on the Stadia hate train but this launch, even as a soft launch, has been bungled. Are tha Stadia division of google even capable of maintaining a games platform?

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
Wait, so you're paying the 4k price to get early access to the 1080p experience others will get for "free" in a few months?

The Google Way!
What a clusterf....

Deleted member 4552

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Obligatory

FWBhaoV.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Let's do this differently: Other than the announced games, what WILL be there on Monday for players to experience?

Assume, for the sake of conversation, the own a 4K tv and an iPhone or Galaxy.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like they really messed up their messaging on this, right out of the gate?

They should have presented it as some sort of early access, or maybe a more classy sounding exclusive/limited beta, etc. "Founders Pack" doesn't really present what you're getting as being unfinished like this.

Like, my reaction to this stuff is that I mostly really want to know what the people working on this honestly feel about how this is happening. This really feels like management pushing them to meet a date, without acknowledging being told that these features weren't going to be ready, or something like that? Or else just making some extremely foolish assumptions about who was going to buy this and how much they'll tolerate. The stuff that's due late next year is wild, but the stuff that's supposedly soon feels like it could have been delayed a bit to match...

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
You can't come into the gaming industry half assed, and expect to make an impact.

Not only is the launch minuscule, but apparently only two more games are releasing on Stadia by the end of the year. Considering it's that time of year where games are flooding in, that sounds awful.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't the whole point of the Stadia Pro subscription supposed to be 4K HDR video feed?

So people have bought a 3 month Stadia Pro membership, and the Pro features will not be available until 2020. Fuck man, I don't know how they are supposed to explain this to customers.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Wait.... no 4K? Wasn't that the whole point of getting the Founders edition? Lmao

dogbox

Jan 30, 2019
Spaceball Arena
Why are they rushing the release, if they are not really ready? I mean, you only get one first impression, and that is gonna stick with you for a long time...

I feel the same way. There seems like so many compromises, and such a limited library. Next gen is a year off, and their Pro subscription will be competing with that. Why not wait until 2020 and have your shit together a little more?

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't the whole point of the Stadia Pro subscription supposed to be 4K HDR video feed?

So people have bought a 3 month Stadia Pro membership, and the Pro features will not be available until 2020. Fuck man, I don't know how they are supposed to explain this to customers.
Wait.... no 4K? Wasn't that the whole point of getting the Founders edition? Lmao
So what's the point of it then?

It says no 4K for "PC Chrome". I assume that means it'll still have 4K for the Chromecast Ultra that comes with it, right?

EDIT:

Though, speaking of the points of buying that pack- how soon are non-Stadia Chromecast Ultras getting updated? Cause if the Buddy code is 2 weeks out from release, and they're not updated by then, wouldn't they be limited to the worse quality...?

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Yeah, it's clear it's a soft launch beta at this point. I wish the launch was cleaner, but that's what we have.
Which makes it even more baffling. They could have all long just said "limited beta!" like all of their historical products and then you have less of a shitshow.

As it stands now, it's a laughing stock because they tried to pass this off as ready for prime time.

Tunichtgut

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
And the best thing is, they have no competition at the moment, they really could have taken more time, and do it properly. Like, i don't know, wait till Cyberpunk 2077 and release it then. Cyberpunk in 4k, with best graphics, at the start? I think, that would hype a lot of gamers (myself included).

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
4K hdr with 5.1 will be there on day one with the founders kit using the Chromecast. Just not on pc yet.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It says no 4K for "PC Chrome". I assume that means it'll still have 4K for the Chromecast Ultra that comes with it, right?
Yeah I guess the only excuse they have is that anyone can use the Chromecast if they want a full-featured product.

But I have to imagine a lot of people bought in expecting to be able to use their own phones, monitors, and tablets. Unless you have a Chrome tablet and a Pixel, you're pretty much stuck using the Chromecast.

Status
Not open for further replies.