• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017

"Another big day for Disney's Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker with a Dec. 26 estimated gross of $30.7M, -4% from Christmas Day. Industry sources are forecasting that through the ninth-quel's first ten days by Sunday, the J.J. Abrams directed movie will hit $380.9M, pacing 3% ahead of Last Jedi at the same point in time. Pretty impressive for a pic we dinged for having a slow start. Skywalker's Dec. 26 bests that of Last Jedi's ($27.7M) and is just under Rogue One's $32M, which was on the Monday after a Christmas Sunday."

So what's this? People who were cool on it deciding fuck it, let's go see it? Or WoM actually not as bad as claimed if it's running pacing 3% ahead of TLJ.

Lord Fagan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's nothing else to watch.

If Cats wasn't an eldritch nightmare, these numbers wouldn't be quite so striking.

Nayeon

Oct 29, 2017
People just love to ride on the hate train on the internet when they actually enjoy the movie. It's en vogue to hate everything these days. "Journalists" tried to derail the movie and utterly failed as can be perfectly seen on rotten tomatoes.

TROS is a very good star wars movie, end of story. Yes, it has flaws and isn't perfect but people are enjoying it far more than they'll have you believe on the internet.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
You can't convince me there isn't a Reylo version of this getting passed around in some corner of the internet that I refuse to look at

DPayeG3XUAIzawn

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Gonna go see knives out tomorrow and then get Indian food but I'll see ros again before it leaves theaters

Oct 25, 2017
People just love to ride on the hate train on the internet when they actually enjoy the movie. It's en vogue to hate everything these days. "Journalists" tried to derail the movie and utterly failed as can be perfectly seen on rotten tomatoes.

TROS is a very good star wars movie, end of story. Yes, it has flaws and isn't perfect but people are enjoying it far more than they'll have you believe on the internet.
1. Why did you put journalists in quotations?

2. Maybe they just didn't like it and its not a fucking conspiracy?

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
WOM is probably pretty good, seems to be doing well on the verified RT user reviews.

The reviews probably hurt it some, too, though. Had someone ask me about them since they knew I'm a Star Wars fan but they're a casual fan.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017

It's a bad movie, stop coming up with conspiracy theories.

Oct 28, 2017

I'm not a fan or passionate about Star Wars in any way. But I didn't like it at all. I don't think it's good. It's certainly not very good.

A fair number of people at work today agree with me. Others liked it. The point being that word of mouth is not at all only positive and there are plenty of non-insane, non-journalists who didn't like it.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle

"Another big day for Disney's Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker with a Dec. 26 estimated gross of $30.7M, -4% from Christmas Day. Industry sources are forecasting that through the ninth-quel's first ten days by Sunday, the J.J. Abrams directed movie will hit $380.9M, pacing 3% ahead of Last Jedi at the same point in time. Pretty impressive for a pic we dinged for having a slow start. Skywalker's Dec. 26 bests that of Last Jedi's ($27.7M) and is just under Rogue One's $32M, which was on the Monday after a Christmas Sunday."

So what's this? People who were cool on it deciding fuck it, let's go see it? Or WoM actually not as bad as claimed if it's running pacing 3% ahead of TLJ.

WOM being a little better than TLJ? Some people might have been scared off by the low review scores, but then seeing many of their friends on their social media accounts saying they liked it/loved it

Oct 25, 2017
The Last Jedi released December 15 while The Rise of Skywalker released on December 20th

It makes this...

Skywalker's Dec. 26 bests that of Last Jedi's ($27.7M) and is just under Rogue One's $32M, which was on the Monday after a Christmas Sunday.

seem less impressive. The Last Jedi had been out longer.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
I think a lot of people get around to seeing movies around this time only after Christmas. Too much other stuff to do in the days leading up to it.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
I read all the spoilers so no need to go see it in the theaters. I'll rent it when the time comes.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Opening the film right in the middle of the last-weekend-before-Chirstmas holiday shopping rush probably did not help Rise of Skywalker. Now that everyone's caught up and relaxed, they're looking to see movies again.

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017
Released 5 days later than TLJ with much more favourable dates. It's too early to judge overall legs so hard to say how WOM is but so far the run has been fairly expected off of its $177m OW, nothing really to remark.

Status
Not open for further replies.