• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 26, 2018
I say "who knows" with Starfield because since covid every single big game has missed it's initial target date and I'm guessing this won't be an exception.

Sony unloaded a huge salvo of high quality games between The Last of Us Pt. II to GT7, that was an incredible 20 months from them... But aside from GoW R and some far off Marvel games we have no clue what they've got cooking.

Similarly Microsoft hit a back to back slam dunk with FH5 and Halo but the rest of their year seems murky with Redfall pegged for summer (doubt) and Starfield likely slipping to 2023...

It's gonna be a LONG gen methinks šŸ¤£

Oh well still got a helluva backlog to tackle and third party gems are always there.

---

Anyone find of funny how we kept seeing the same games from Sony for like 4 years and now they're all out and we're like... Damn... Now what? Crazy how fast we consume this medium and how spoiled we are when you think about it.

SuperBoss

Oct 25, 2017
Little Devil Inside, Granblue Fantasy, Forspoken, and Ragnarok are all due this year.

Games are coming lol.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Deathloop on Sept 14th is ... nigh guaranteed tho

But I mean this shouldn't be too surprising as once "E3"/SGF wraps we will have specific dates for plenty of stuff. And that's in like 2 months.

Starfield won't slip into 2023. Book it.

Caiusto

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the same happened with Xbox last year and they still gave us the dates at E3, don't worry. We didn't even know if FH5 was a thing back then.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
they've still been throwing the starfield date around pretty recently. i don't think there's any reason to think it will be delayed at the moment.

Frieza

Oct 25, 2017
Xbox always waits until June to announce their plans just like last year. Starfield won't be delayed and Forza Motorsport will have a date as well same with Redfall and As Dusk Falls.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Starfield is for sure dropping this year I'd say, they seem pretty confident head held high about it

The blowout will be at E3 and itll be like fallout 4 rollout

Dates will drop at E3, expecting at least 2 dates from Sony

Olli

Feb 6, 2021
Looks like a quiet year but 2023 may end up being one of the best ever if rumours are true and GoW/Starfield are delayed!

Halo Infinite may actually be finished by then too

sephghast

Oct 25, 2017
Because it's dangerous to put out release dates early nowadays, especially when any delay will just lead to bad press, bad player reactions, and stockholder dismay.

Also the vast majority of preorders now probably happen the week before launch thanks to the digital world.

Deleted member 35509

Account closed at user request
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
With the advent of instant news (Twitter etc), there's no need for long lead times anymore. A game can be announced a month before release and that's an eternity in internet time for promotion. I'm shocked people aren't used to this by now. Remember the EGM days of waiting for ANY screenshots of games years out? lol

Game delays happen so often, why bother announcing anything unless you're sure you can make the date? Covid has pushed this mentality into the highest gear.

MS will probably announce more fall releases in the summer. Sony knows they can announce dates any time because people are still going to buy the game.

Kratos2098

Feb 18, 2022
Outside of God of War Ragnarok I don't think Sony has anything else for this year unless they drop some surprise Director's Cut for something like they did last year for Ghost and Death Stranding. Microsoft is the one I'd be more concerned about. We've seen nothing from Redfall that was supposed to release in the Summer. Sure it being on Game Pass means they could reveal it and drop it soon after but I just don't really think that's how it's going to go. That type of game is going to need some public playtests unless they are going to release it early access like Grounded. With COVID and so many other games getting delayed left and right IDK why anyone thinks Starfield and Redfall are immune from getting delayed. Outside of those two games I don't see Microsoft having anything else unless that game As Dusk Falls shadow drops.

Tyche-42

Sep 29, 2021
Why is Starfield likely to slip into 2023?
Because despite both MS's and Bethesda's combined history of not revealing (and often not even announcing) games until 5/6 months before release, people still believe that the game is in bad shape and will be delayed because they havent shown gameplay yet.

Neifirst

Oct 27, 2017
Since Starfield is going to be on game pass, couldn't Microsoft/Bethesda basically get away with releasing a not-quite-finished product in 2022 rather than delay until 2023? Or put more positively, put out a core adventure in the fall and update throughout the next couple years.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
With the advent of instant news (Twitter etc), there's no need for long lead times anymore. A game can be announced a month before release and that's an eternity in internet time for promotion. I'm shocked people aren't used to this by now. Remember the EGM days of waiting for ANY screenshots of games years out? lol

Game delays happen so often, why bother announcing anything unless you're sure you can make the date? Covid has pushed this mentality into the highest gear.

MS will probably announce more fall releases in the summer. Sony knows they can announce dates any time because people are still going to buy the game.
It's as if nobody here ever saw a whole console shown alongside it's launch titles and then launch less than 6 months later

Kahhhhyle

Jun 8, 2021
I'd be more concerned with Starfield being a broken mess at launch then it getting delayed since that's more Betheadas MOšŸ˜‚

That said I have high hopes since Microsoft is steering the ship now

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Since Starfield is going to be on game pass, couldn't Microsoft/Bethesda basically get away with releasing a not-quite-finished product in 2022 rather than delay until 2023? Or put more positively, put out a core adventure in the fall and update throughout the next couple years.
That's what CDPR did with Cyberpunk despite not being on Game Pass. Not sure why that's relevant.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

Considering what that did to Halo Infinite I can't imagine they're ITCHING to do that again.

Tyche-42

Sep 29, 2021
Cyberpunk
TLoU 2
BoTW 2
Hfw
Elden Ring

Just a trend for big games with covid
No offense but 'other games from completely different companies got delayed' isnt really a valid reason. They havent delayed a game in like 15 years, and most of the reason for that is that they dont announce a release date until theyre sure theyll meet it.

If gameplay comes out and its rough then fair enough, but right now theres 0 reason to support the idea that itll be delayed.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Starfield release date was given with a lot of confidence and with awareness of COVID.

Plus no way Todd is going to pass on 11/11/22 and it's the 11th anniversary of Skyrim. It's not going to miss.

Ser Ignatius

Chicken Chaser
Apr 15, 2020
I'm hoping for Forza Motorsports 8 this fall but we'll see if they make it. I'm feeling fairly confident Starfield will be this year as well, but it's a big game so I definitely wouldn't be shocked by a delay.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
I genuinely cannot tell if gamers want titles announced far far in advance, or closer to release. If nothing it set for a release date years in advance we get these worries that "This year sucks!" but if we get them in advance we restlessness leading up to release, or shock and awe that something announced 4 years prior to release shifts release dates because development is complicated.

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
No offense but 'other games from completely different companies got delayed' isnt really a valid reason. They havent delayed a game in like 15 years, and most of the reason for that is that they dont announce a release date until theyre sure theyll meet it.

If gameplay comes out and its rough then fair enough, but right now theres 0 reason to support the idea that itll be delayed.
Not to mention 3 of those were given a release window before we fully understood how long COVID and work from home would last. Zelda is always delayed. Elden Ring is the only real exception and it was delayed for only one month.

hydruxo

ā–² Legend ā–²
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why anyone thinks Starfield is getting delayed. It's extremely rare to give a solid month and day date for a game more than a year in advance. They clearly have a ton of confidence in it coming out on that date.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Todd has already said the Starfield date is written in ink and Xbox marketing has commented on 11/11/2022 as recently as this week.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why anyone thinks Starfield is getting delayed. It's extremely rare to give a solid month and day date for a game more than a year in advance. That just straight up almost never happens in gaming. They clearly have a ton of confidence in it coming out on that date.

Those kinds of ultra-aggressive early release dates are also the ones that tend to slide because the devs can't always correctly anticipate how long things like QA will take.

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017
I think Starfield was delayed, we just didn't know about it. It was probably meant to come out in 2021.

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntildaā€™s Lair
Because despite both MS's and Bethesda's combined history of not revealing (and often not even announcing) games until 5/6 months before release, people still believe that the game is in bad shape and will be delayed because they havent shown gameplay yet.

Yeah it's ridiculous. This also coming from Bethesda who announced, showed gameplay, and gave a release date for both Fallout 4 and The Evil Within 2 just a few months prior to their release. While anything is possible, it seems more likely it will be hitting hits release of 11-11-22 than unlikely.

Tyche-42

Sep 29, 2021
Not to mention 3 of those were given a release window before we fully understood how long COVID and work from home would last. Zelda is always delayed. Elden Ring is the only real exception and it was delayed for only one month.
Also we have no idea if the game was already delayed internally. 4 years is already on the longer side for BGS's development cycles so for all we know theyre just polishing now.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
GamePass or not, after FO76's launch they would get eaten alive online and I think BGS and MS both know that. No chance they let that game come out before it's ready IMO.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
f49c35d6-e043-4ff5-839e-3dd6ed2cb810_text.gif

E.Balboa

Oct 30, 2017
FlorianĆ³polis, Brazil
Starfield aside? What kind of BS guessing is this?

There's nothing that indicates Starfield is missing its release date. Quite the contrary actually. It's been set in stone as far as we know.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
That's a pretty large "aside." Oh this ol' game? Yeah no big dealā€¦ they may as well have nothing at all.

Starfield announced a specific date 17 months before releaseā€¦ it's releasing on the same day as Skyrim, 11 years later. This isn't by accident. From what I understand, MS didn't want to set the date that early but Todd was adamant.

As for Redfall, funny how on this forum "summer 2022" has suddenly become 2023. Not saying it won't be delayed, but maybe wait until the summer showcase before this shit lol.

Also, Forza Motorsport is pretty likely I think.

Oct 25, 2017
They seem pretty confident in Starfield's date. I don't really see how Xbox's E3 will be like last year in terms of announcing games for this year. We knew of a several games targeting 2021 just without dates. Seems like Dusk Falls and Forza are probably the two we don't know about coming this year.

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017
I think God of War is probably getting pushed to next year. They only gave a year which tells me they aren't super sure it will make it.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
Outside of God of War Ragnarok I don't think Sony has anything else for this year unless they drop some surprise Director's Cut for something like they did last year for Ghost and Death Stranding. Microsoft is the one I'd be more concerned about. We've seen nothing from Redfall that was supposed to release in the Summer. Sure it being on Game Pass means they could reveal it and drop it soon after but I just don't really think that's how it's going to go. That type of game is going to need some public playtests unless they are going to release it early access like Grounded. With COVID and so many other games getting delayed left and right IDK why anyone thinks Starfield and Redfall are immune from getting delayed. Outside of those two games I don't see Microsoft having anything else unless that game As Dusk Falls shadow drops.
There's Deathloop and most likely Forza this year for Microsoft as well. With a constant stream of games through GamePass, they have a bit more leeway to go a while without dropping a new game. If you should be worried, it's for Sony.

Tyche-42

Sep 29, 2021
Yeah it's ridiculous. This also coming from Bethesda who announced, showed gameplay, and gave a release date for both Fallout 4 and The Evil Within 2 just a few months prior to their release. While anything is possible, it seems more likely it will be hitting hits release of 11-11-22 than unlikely.
Yeah its crazy to me that theyve been doing this for years and people kinda just ignore all that.

I feel like at this point we should put it to a vote and make it a competition just like people did with halo infinite.

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that you are doubting whether Starfield will make it is exactly why no other games have release dates yet, OP.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Ah it's so good to get out of the platform OTs and have people just go "Yea.. it's not a big deal" LOL. Love it.

And yea, the lack of release dates is exactly because they're worthless, just like roadmaps lol.

Yep! Covid is a big factor, but I think people aren't realizing how much game marketing has shifted. The need for long leadups is just no longer necessary in the same way - in fact, it can be actively detrimental to many games. There can be some benefits to it - see Starfield's slow drip of information. But, not every game needs enough time to woo retailers to make sure there's enough room on shelves and to entice early interest from players so that those retailers take notice. There's a reason E3 isn't alive anymore.

Nowadays, short cycles are preferable for many, if not the vast majority, of games - it's far cheaper, you don't have to sustain hype for a really long time, it's less taxing on the devs to prepare so much marketing material, and it better coincides with when people can actually buy your game. PLATFORMS want you to get excited about the future. But that's not necessarily the smartest move for individual devs and publishers.

Status
Not open for further replies.