• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
It's functional, it's light and the offering of the Steam sales + direct key sales means that I spend way less money on gaming than I would otherwise.
In my 13 years of using Steam, outside of very minor and small service disruptions I have had 0 issues with Steam and I've been using it nearly every day.

Gloam

Oct 29, 2017
"
for those of you who continue to use it as one of your primary platforms,
"

I own most of my PC games on there.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
I have 1500+ games and I'm confident it is never going away unless something tragic happens to Valve.

It is unmatched in features and QOL improvements over any other PC or console storefront.

Zom

Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif

Onilink

Oct 30, 2017
" for those of you who continue to use it"

Are you talking about a minority?

I don't understand your point, honest.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
That's... Where my games are. That's where my friends are. That's where the best features are. That's where the vast majority of the games released on PC are.

I do use other platforms but why should I not continue to use Steam? Your wording is a bit confusing.

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
i own most of my games there(1k+), some of it's functions, like steam input and cloud saves, and the sales.

Zaimokuza

May 14, 2020
I've been using it for almost ten years now.

It's a combination of
  • "Everyone is here"
  • good performance
  • acceptable UI (if you use metro)
  • a review system that actually puts interesting games in the "extremely favourable" (I don't know the actual english name) category
I don't honestly care about the workshop (you always have to use external mods anyway), the community stuff and steam input. I also don't care about proton and all the vr stuff Valve is working on, but the basics work very well.

If you play videogames on pc there's no real alternative. Even if you like Origin/GoG/Epic more the vast majority of interesting videogames are only available on steam (point 1)

Trago

Oct 25, 2017
It's where most of my games are.

Also it offers a lot of great features compared to other storefronts.

Last edited:

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I mean most of my PC games are on/launch from it? Odd question.

Is this why do you stay with Steam? In that case because pretty much everything releases on it and it has great deals.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
That's just where my shit is. I don't much discriminate at this point though. If a better price is on another PC launcher, I buy it there.
Yup. I bought Jedi: Fallen Order on Epic because it was cheaper. I'll keep buying The Sims 4 expansions on Origins because that's where I have all of them already.

If it's all the same price though, a new release, or something like that, chances are I'll get it on Steam unless it's not on there.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
That's where most of my games are and it continues to be the best and most functional PC store/platform. Not sure what out there is really incentivizing me to use anything else.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
Man, I remember back in 2004 everybody hated that shit lol. Funny how it became one of the most beloved apps.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Most of my games are there
Most of my friends are there
They have a lot of sales
Most "physical" games are Steam keys

Xalbur

Mar 30, 2019
It's lightyears ahead of the competition when it comes to QoL, refund policies are good and It's where the majority of my library is.
I don't mind using other launchers though, only really annoying keeping track of 5+ launchers when I want to play a game I'm not sure where I got it, not common but it does happen.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been using Steam since Half Life 2 and i have no attach at all. It's just the "main" client on PC where my games are.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's the only PC platform that I can comfortably control from my living room. And that's where I play 99% of the time. Although Big Picture Mode really could use an overhaul.

Oct 25, 2017
Since 2008 or whenever I got into PC gaming, the only complaint I have about Steam is how long it takes to launch/update itself. And that only affects me on occasion.

Other than that it, always works, it now supports any controller you throw at it, and you can buy Steam keys in all kinds of places, not just Steam. I'm not sure why someone would just stop using it.

Sheev

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's probably the best service for that sort of thing, at least to me.

Plus I've got hundreds of games there so I'm not about to completely move elsewhere.

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
I've been using it for almost ten years now.

It's a combination of
  • "Everyone is here"
  • good performance
  • acceptable UI (if you use metro)
  • a review system that actually puts interesting games in the "extremely favourable" (I don't know the actual english name) category
I don't honestly care about the workshop (you always have to use external mods anyway), the community stuff and steam input. I also don't care about proton and all the vr stuff Valve is working on, but the basics work very well.

If you play videogames on pc there's no real alternative. Even if you like Origin/GoG/Epic more the vast majority of interesting videogames are only available on steam (point 1)
is metro even updated anymore tho?

Deleted member 896

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
" for those of you who continue to use it"

Are you talking about a minority?

I don't understand your point, honest.

Yeah. It's sort of phrased almost like it's fishing for "what's it gonna take for me to convince you to switch from Coke to Pepsi?" Even though it's kind of annoying to use a dozen different launchers and it's easier to use just one, I'm honestly not against other launchers. I have uPlay and Origin and GOG all actively installed. I don't mind using them. But as for why I'd continue to use Steam, even if it didn't offer benefits I think it has the obvious plus for a lot of people (myself included) of being the platform where a ton of my games reside. Even if I woke up tomorrow and declared "actually, EGS is pretty good everyone!" most of my game library isn't owned via EGS.

May 19, 2020
if there were something better i would probably use it. it's also where my PC library is basically. not complicated lol

i think being a fan of steam or valve is bizarre though, it's just a launcher

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
Steam input and the steam controller. Also, Steam in general is great.

Oh and Valve actually gives a shit about my country and supports our local currency.

Dec 20, 2017
I've been using it since like 2005 and it's been a well supported platform, why would I not continue to use it? This thread confuses me.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Are you trying to fish for some kind of news article? Weird phrasing to your question.

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not someone that cares about owning everything in a single library.. I gave up on that years ago.

However, I prefer Steam because it is, by far, the best. I spent a lot of 2020 playing non-steam games and it really made me appreciate the work Valve has done.

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
Is there some secret store i don't know about that has all the features of steam and more?

mddover

Jan 9, 2019
There's a lot I don't like about it, but it's where I own most of my stuff. I've been using GOG Galaxy 2.0 the past couple years and that's made it easier to be a bit more platform agnostic, though.

Flounder

Oct 28, 2017
- Huge library with keys also cheaply available at 3rd party sites
- Exceptional controller support (works with XB, PS and Nintendo controllers) and custom profiles
- SteamVR
- Steam Workshop
- Big Picture Mode
- Completely open (unlike MS Store with their UWP/UWAs)

CONCHOBAR

Oct 25, 2017
Everything, to be honest.

• My friends are on Steam.
  • It has the widest (and arguably best) selection of any platform.
  • The sales are the best, especially when factoring in the fact that Steam easily allows devs to generate keys to sell through third parties like Fanatical, GMG, IndieGala, etc.
  • A functional shopping cart (looking at you, Epic Games Store).
  • I don't know if there's a proper term for it, but the bundles that dynamically discount if you own part of them are AWESOME. I only recently got into DOOM starting with 2016 over the summer, later buying Eternal, and just yesterday I got the remainder of the series for $10 thanks to this feature.
  • The Workshop is great in how it enables games like Tabletop Simulator.
  • The community features are incredible all around, with every(?) game getting its own forum, fan made guides abound, and shareable controller configurations.
  • While I don't use it much, Big Picture Mode is a very cool solution to a common complaint about PC gaming.

Sometimes I have to use another platform due to exclusivity (such as Diablo), but ultimately that kind of encapsulates how I feel about PC platforms: all the others can only compete on exclusives because when it comes to features, Steam may never be matched.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
Not sure if it's the OP intention to suggest otherwise but the longevity is a huge positive and gives me confidence the platform will be alive and accessible long into the future.

the7egend

Mar 6, 2018
It's where everything is and splitting games across multiple stores is kind of a pain without installing another piece of software that has to run at the same time. I've tried using Playnite and GoG as launchers, but it just isn't for me when I'm having to launch another software to launch a game.

I guess my second most used platform would be the Epic Store though thanks to all the free games they've given out over time, but that's only 100+ games compared to the 600 or so I have on Steam, so Steam stays as my primary.

SuiQuan

Oct 25, 2017
Kazakhstan - soon
Oh, so-so many things...
1) Regional pricing.
2) Sales and discounts.
3) Massive UI functionality (nothing beats it imo)
4) Multiple languages support for the majority of games.
5) Ability to easily add non-steam games to library.
6) I keep my games even if my account gets banned.
7) A refund policy that actually works.
8) Game-sharing set-up that is easy and intuitive without the primary/secondary machine bs.
9) Active forums attached to games.
10) Amazing community tab with actually interesting and fun art, videos, fanart, tips, etc. for every game.
11) When I buy a game I get all the relevant info about (languages, DLC, release dates, etc.)
12) A very advanced search engine with ability to be very specific about what you are looking for.
13) Reviews separated intro "recent" and "overall" - love this.
etc.etc.
And that's just off the top of my head. I could remember more if I tried.

CurseVox

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts (USA)
Most of my massive library is on it. It works well, has good QOL features and I feel like it will be around for a long time.
That being said, I still use Epic game store as well, but I don't buy much on it because I'm not convinced it will be long term like Steam is.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Good features and valve keeps adding them
  • Steam keys allow for competition without fragmenting my library
  • Steam controller allows me to play any game with my fav controller even those that don't support controllers
  • Steam broadcast allows me to show games to friends
  • Steam play together allow me to play local Co OP game through the internet
  • Steam trading cards give me free money
  • Steam family sharing allows my family to play my games without having to share accounts
  • Has a shopping basket so I don't have to buy one game a a time during a sale
  • Refund policy is ok.
  • The UI is super easy to use, specially when inv friends to games
  • I can costumize my library just in a good enough way to not have to use other sites
  • Achivements
  • Steam overlay and other features can be easily deactivated when I don't need them
  • Steam workshop allow for 1 click to install mods. No longer do I have to read readmes
  • Steam cloud saving so I don't have to backup most of my saves
  • Delisted games are downloadable
  • Several methods of payment bonus point for the local ones
  • Steam credit cards are easy to buy and find
  • Very easy to troubleshoot issues
  • Big picture mode gives me an UI when further away from the TV.
  • SteamVR is a cool open-source initiative
I think that is the features I use on steam. Unfortunately most other platforms don't have those features so I won't give those a chance

AppleBlade

Nov 15, 2017
Connecticut
My huge library of games I purchased in digital sales but honestly I don't game on PC much nowadays. I think Steam serves as a great example of why you shouldn't write off services/games so adamantly.

People have completely forgotten the early reaction to Steam and it's push to be a digital storefront. Many were mad that they had to install it to play Half-life 2. There were a lot of doomsayers talking about the digital future and how horrible it would be. Many hated the interface. If Meme culture and reactionary youtube/social media personalities were a thing the vitriol would have been bad.

This is why I'm never so quick to write off early missteps by services like Google Stadia or the Epic game store. You never know when some turn of events catapults something into a huge success.

Status
Not open for further replies.