• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
This seems like the biggest lie people tell themselves here. That they care about game "preservation" and "archiving". I admit, this was inspired by the Nintendo leak thread where we had numerous nonsensical posts about Nintendo not caring about archiving and preservation. In a thread where a massive DIGITAL leak uncovered gigabytes of old physical materials that were digitized and source code from games spanning back decades (when other devs have admitted to losing source code) we have people with the gall to claim Nintendo doesn't care about these things. 🤦🏽‍♂️

If you want to play retro games and are disappointed at NES/SNES Online and the lack of a VC equivalent, complain about that. I also wish I could play them too. If you're disappointed we don't see much behind the scenes, early development material and prototypes, complain about that. That stuff is always cool to see, and aside from a few GDC talks, we seldom get a glimpse into that.

Just don't pretend this has anything to do with preservation and archiving. That the general public doesn't have access to these materials doesn't mean they aren't being stored for future usage and reference and are simply lost to time. Stop trying to ascribe some greater moral imperative to what is just you wanting to see something that you can't. Let's be real here

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Discussion threads framed in an accusatory manner rarely go well, OP.

And I'm of the opinion that the leaks are a bit much honestly. But I can't blame folks for their curiosity. It's interesting stuff.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
No, the history is important and it's really enlightening to see the process through which stuff is made. Also it's pretty cool to see ideas and prototypes of things that didn't get finished.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
I think game preservation is cool and that it is incredibly awesome to see this stuff after all these years.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Reads like a GOP presser.

Someone get a screen because the projector is already here.

Archival is a serious topic that for this medium is still largely behind compared to all other media.

Mars

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, this man is spitting the truth and ya'll can't handle it. Go on my guy, tell us how we really feel!

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
tenor.gif

OP
OP
808s & Villainy
Oct 27, 2017

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Private archiving is valuable. Public access to archives is more valuable. Wanting to learn about and understand history is the purpose of archiving.

"Stop pretending you care about archiving, just admit you want to read a collection of presidential letters!"

Brofield

Oct 25, 2017
The archiving and preservation is precisely so we can play retro games and understand what's going on behind the scenes. A private/corporate collection benefits egos and no one else.

Otherwise Martin Shkreli is going the Lord's work by preserving Wu Tang Clan's as yet unheard album.

This is a post to otherwise support your local art/history museums. They're struggling in a Covid world.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
I care about taking my physically owned media and ripping them for my personal archive and future preservation does that count?

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
They can be both, but people that still act like Nintendo is not doing a good job preserving their game come across as disingenuous

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nah, I care about preservation. I own a ton of retro games I could play any time.

Why does this thread seem so angry and accusatory?

mattyhochs

May 9, 2018
Honestly, is there a difference? Of course people want to play prototypes and see BTS content. What's the point of preserving something if no one has access to it?

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
I feel like there needs to be a proper preservation/archiving body for video games. A place where materials can be preserved but in a view only capacity - i.e. not for people to go in and rip games/materials as they fancy like some sort of eat all you want buffet. Something official, that isn't reliant on someone ripping a whole bunch of stuff off and dumping it on the sly.

Then this sort of grey area dissolves, all the people who are advocates of preservation and not just wanting to have materials accessible on PC will be satisfied.

Status
Not open for further replies.