• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lion

Banned
Jul 7, 2020
From the guardian :

www.theguardian.com

Strength of trans women drops slightly after year of treatment, research claims

Testosterone blockers taken by transgender women only minimally reduce the biological advantage underpinning performance, according to new research

Interesting, but not that surprising. Even though after hormone blockers, trans women will feel weaker, they are still considerably stronger than cis women. The strength advantage men had over women is given as 20% + (sometimes more than 50%).so a drop of 5%didn't narrow the advantage.

This is going to have implications on any sport where strength plays a role. Which is probably most sports. It is particularly relevant to contact sports, and contact martial arts.

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
"These data overwhelmingly confirm that testosterone-driven puberty, as the driving force of development of male secondary sex characteristics, underpins sporting advantages that are so large no female could reasonably hope to succeed without sex segregation in most sporting competitions."

The more I read about this, the more I think there is a much larger physical gap between men and women than I used to believe. I thought it was more about interests (who likes to lift weights, who likes to jog instead), and culture (boys are told to be strong, girls are told to be smart) than the body and hormones themselves.

knocturnalis

Oct 27, 2017
The more I read about this, the more I think there is a much larger physical gap between men and women than I used to believe. I thought it was more about interests (who likes to lift weights, who likes to jog instead), and culture (boys are told to be strong, girls are told to be smart) than the body and hormones themselves.
Lol, no sexual dimorphism kicks women's ass. Remember, the USA's Women's soccer team practices against high school boys, and lose. Venus and Serena couldn't beat some low-ranked male tennis player.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Did you ever play sports in school? I ran cross country in high school, came in 43rd in a 3-mile race and beat the #1 girl by 3 minutes. Biology is really nuts.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wow, nothing more trustworthy than a guardian piece on trans people. im sure they don't have an agenda or anything

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
Lol, no sexual dimorphism kicks women's ass. Remember, the USA's Women's soccer team practices against high school boys, and lose. Venus and Serena couldn't beat some low-ranked male tennis player.
Yeah well I have been naive I guess.

Did you ever play sports in school? I ran cross country in high school, came in 43rd in a 3-mile race and beat the #1 girl by 3 minutes. Biology is really nuts.

Only what I had to at school. I wasn't a big macho boy, I was friends with both boys and girls. And if I had to compete in something, I lost to everyone at everything physical. (I do have cerebral palsy though). I liked to draw and play, and was quiet and peaceful :)

Llyrwenne

Hopes and Dreams SAVE the World
Oct 26, 2017
The UK Guardian is not a reliable source when it comes to reporting on trans people.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Are there any official plans to let trans women compete? How will they handle this? Wait 3 years after transition? That's some precious time for a sportsperson.

EternalDarko

Oct 26, 2017
I dunno how that can be said factually without actual evidence. The sport is a combination of skill and power, and Serena is one of the best their ever was.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
wow, nothing more trustworthy than a guardian piece on trans people. im sure they don't have an agenda or anything
Lol yeah, my thoughts exactly.

No matter, I'm sure this will be a fun thread. /s

For the record, my strength levels dropped significantly more than 5% after the first year on HRT. It was more like 25%. And I was pretty damn weak before all that, anyway. (Never managed to bench more than 80 lbs even after years of pumping iron and shit.)

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
I dunno how that can be said factually without actual evidence. The sport is a combination of skill and power, and Serena is one of the best their ever was.
Mate..
Another event dubbed a "Battle of the Sexes" took place during the 1998 Australian Open between Karsten Braasch and the Williams sisters. Venus and Serena Williams had claimed that they could beat any male player ranked outside the world's top 200, so Braasch, then ranked 203rd, challenged them both. Braasch was described by one journalist as "a man whose training regime centered around a pack of cigarettes and more than a couple of bottles of ice cold lager". The matches took place on court number 12 in Melbourne Park, after Braasch had finished a round of golf and two shandies. He first took on Serena and after leading 5–0, beat her 6–1. Venus then walked on court and again Braasch was victorious, this time winning 6–2. Braasch said afterwards, "500 and above, no chance". He added that he had played like someone ranked 600th in order to keep the game "fun"[60] and that the big difference was that men can chase down shots much easier and put spin on the ball that female players can't handle. The Williams sisters adjusted their claim to beating men outside the top 350.

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
Are you serious? So basically you are implying that woman are never be as dedicated as men? Because if you are not then how would you explain men's records be higher than womens records in pretty much everything if there are women just as dedicated as men?

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
Are you serious? So basically you are implying that woman are never be as dedicated as men? Because if you are not then how would you explain men's records be higher than womens records in pretty much anything if there are women just as dedicated as men?
Wait? I never said that. I used to think men and women were closer in terms of sports than what I have read as a grown up. I used to think anyone could do anything. I never read about records or snything like that. Since sports seperate men and women, I used to think they were closer than they are. But I did see that often men were more muscular, and women leaner. And that I thought, was more of a product of culture and interests. If you had seen my drawings of men and women as a kid, I used to draw muscles on both.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
This is a tough situation. 3 years is a very significan portion of an athlete's prime.

Uh, there is evidence. They lost 6-1 and 2 against the male ranked 203rd, Karsten Braasch.

www.marca.com

Battle of the Sexes: When the World No. 203 swept the Williams sisters - MARCA in English

A great deal of controversy was created recently when former tennis pro John McEnroe claimed that multiple major winner Serena Williams would not be...

No. 203 sweeps Williams
At the height of the Williams boom in 1998, an unofficial game took place in Australia after Serena and Venus claimed that no male player outside the top 200 could beat them.

Up stepped a German known as Karsten Braasch who was ranked 203rd in the world and after first beating Serena 6-1, he then disposed of Venus 6-2.

"I didn't know it would be that difficult. I played shots that would have been winners on the women's circuit and he got to them very easily," said Serena.

"They wouldn't have had a chance against anyone inside the top 500 because today I played like someone ranked 600th to keep it fun," was Braasch's assessment.

The Bear

Forest Animal
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
Given that the author of the article follows anti-trans hate groups on Twitter, the article the thread is based on is suspect and the thread has been locked as a result.

Status
Not open for further replies.