• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 1, 2017
I had always planned on playing the older Metroid games, given how much I loved Metroid: Other M, and in anticipation of Metroid Prime 4, I was advised by some very nice posters in the Metroid: Other M OT to give Super Metroid a try first to see if the old style of Metroid games - which I am only very vaguely aware of - is something I would like.

I had always imagined I would like the older games, given the comparisons to Castlevania and Hollow Knight, both games I enjoy, I have heard bandied about. I also knew about Super Metroid's legendary reputation. It's supposed to be one of the best games ever made, with game design so perfect it holds up all the way today. Game developers cite it as an influence to this day, so surely I was in for a treat?

But... it's just okay?

To be fair I haven't actually completed it yet, but I'm almost done (I just beat Ridley on the blue Space Station thing and am just heading back to my ship), and I'm all around disappointed by it. The map has a vague sense of Metroidvania style progression to it but it feels like the game was only just starting to find its footing and I'm already at the end. I've heard so much about the older games' map design and progression, and while I understand a 16 bit game will be more limited than something like Metroid: Other M I imagine will be, I'm just... trying to figure out why there is so much rave acclaim for this game. Like... it's okay? The graphics feel fine, the controls are sharp, the music is really good, and I'm surprised at the emphasis on storytelling they put, but in terms of pure design, it just feels so vanilla. It basically feels like it ends before it even starts (my activity log says I am under 2 minutes, and I would have been pretty mad if I had spent $60 on this game, to be honest).

Am I missing something?

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
Is this a copy pasta that im missing?
www.resetera.com

A Link to the Past: Is this it? I feel like I am missing something

I had always planned on playing the older Zelda games, given how much I loved Breath of the Wild, and in anticipation of the Link's Awakening remake, I was advised by some very nice posters in the Link's Awakening OT to give A Link to the Past a try first to see if the old style of Zelda games -...
That said I'm pretty sure the other thread was genuine and this gets locked

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
29599.jpg

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I personally was very impressed when I beat it for the first time just a couple years ago, especially the last hour or so. It is very well made, but I wasn't enamored with it all the way through. There were areas I didn't love. All the same, I'm very glad I played it. Enjoy the ending!

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Gonna get called a "no fun allow" person but this really isn't funny.

No need to make fun of someone.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I wot M8?

Am I supposed to know it's a joke from the high praise for other M, or the "mistaking" the prologue for the end with 2 minutes of playtime?

You could have at least asked why Metroid can't crawl.

Status
Not open for further replies.