• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
www.eurogamer.net

SWAT game loses publisher following school shooting comments

Void Interactive has lost the publisher for its SWAT game Ready or Not days after comments suggested it would include a…

Void Interactive has lost the publisher for its SWAT game Ready or Not days after comments suggested it would include a school shooting mission.

The game was released in early access on 17th December, but in a statement on Twitter Void Interactive said it had parted ways with publisher Team17.

Though no reasons have been given so far, a recent Reddit post asking if the game would include a school shooting level received a response from one of the game's developers saying "You better believe it's gonna".

I've seen this game getting a lot of positive attention recently so I think it was best to bring this to attention so people can decide if they wanna support the project or not.

-Hyperion-

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 14, 2021
Can we really say the two things are linked? Those school shooting comments have only gotten coverage following the Team17 split, and it's not like the publisher could have been unaware of the game's content beforehand.

Cheesy

Oct 30, 2017
We've known there would be a school shooting based level ever since the original trailer 4 years ago came out, there's no way they would only just decided to split because of it.

ReDelicious

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if that's the reason considering I think they said that were going to do this before they even teamed up with the publisher.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
I could see this being purely cause the game is doing and will do just fine without Team 17 financially. There were talks of the level before they signed the deal so, and the split doesn't seem hostile.

Deleted member 5129

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They did not, in fact, lose their publisher due to "school shooting comments" but instead dropped Team 17 themselves.

Oct 25, 2017
They very clearly don't need Team 17 at this point. Game is a large success in early access and since the development of the game can be funded at this point it seems weird to suggest that any of these moves have to do with a level that doesn't even exist yet.

Oct 27, 2017
Already was a thread on this, the reason is I guess based on the timing but nothing definitive since the developers of apparently shown that they were planning to do this for a while.

Someone suggested it might have something to do with their beta being a wild success for them, indicating that they may not need a publisher and dropped Team17 or something to that effect.

honestly as much as I'm in the fuck this idea camp, at least it should be represented accurately. The idea is to include an active shooter scenario that you respond to as the SWAT team, that takes place in a school. It's not like they made flippant comments about a school shootings, or are promoting school shooting simulator level or some thing. It's still a stupid fucking thing that we really don't need to have put into our world, but the context of it should be accurate at least.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
b67.gif

Edit: Oh right, the original thread was locked on OP:s request. But anyways, like has been said, them parting ways doesn't seem to be related to the level where you stop a school shooter.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
We've already had this topic.
The reasoning is not linked or atleast not clear. The school level was in the trailer in 2017, 4 years ago. The publisher would have known about it when they signed on.

Cheesy

Oct 30, 2017
Wouldn't surprise me, the game got a lot of buzz lately, maybe they decided to self-publish or got better offer.
Only possible reason I've heard, and obviously this isn't confirmed/verified at all, is that the devs really wanted to be able to release the game to the public, but Team17 QA felt it wasn't in a good enough condition to release, so the devs left Team17 and released the game in EA, all just speculation though, but it sounds more likely than because of the school shooting level.

Status
Not open for further replies.