• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slipknot666

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
This song was recorded in 2000. I want to know what Era thinks of Serj saying nigga multiple times.

Does he get a pass because he is a minority? Discuss

Wimps

Oct 27, 2017
Video isn't available for me OP.

And I think you know what Era will think...

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
This whole album is dope. Loud rocks helped bridge a lot of cultural gaps in high school when it came to the black and white kids

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
If you're not black don't say it, is this supposed to be a "gotcha" thread or something?

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
long_time_star_wars.gif

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
This album was pretty hit-or-miss, though I really liked the version of Still Not a Player with Incubus. This version of Shame though? Never been a big fan and Serj dropping the n-bomb is a big part of that.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
IM NEVER GOING TO SEE SYSTEM LIVE AGAIN OR BUY THEIR ALBUMS
/s just in case you think im serious

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone posing this kind of question is highly suspect, just fyi

Why try to feel out where the exact limits of acceptability are when you probably have no business saying it at all, full stop?

collige

Oct 31, 2017
The most offensive thing about this song is Serj butchering ODB's classic verse. I love SOAD, but this is cover was a terrible idea.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Look where you're at. You already know what we're going to think.
We have enough shit to be upset about on here, we don't need to pile up more.

MetalMagus

Avenger
Oct 16, 2018
Maine
When Serj performed the Holiday in Cambodia cover with the Foo Fighters he changed out the "er" version of the N word for "brothers", so I assume he's at least somewhat sensitive of the word's use.

If WTC was down with it for the recording, I see no reason to rake him or SOD over the coals for it. The only question would be if he still performs the song on tour without any changes, that might be problematic.

Thanks for binging our attention to a song that's nearly twenty years old though! What's next? Brown Suger by The Rolling Stones?

collige

Oct 31, 2017
When Serj performed the Holiday in Cambodia cover with the Foo Fighters he changed out the "er" version of the N word for "brothers", so I assume he's at least somewhat sensitive of the word's use.
True, but not even Jello himself uses the original lyrics and for a satire of white liberals, the old phrasing is really out of date anyway.

Oct 27, 2017

If WTC was down with it for the recording, I see no reason to rake him or SOD over the coals for it. The only question would be if he still performs the song on tour without any changes, that might be problematic.

Thanks for binging our attention to a song that's nearly twenty years old though! What's next? Brown Suger by The Rolling Stones?
I always thought that song was about heroin. I've never really listened to it though.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Was this from the album that had Static X doing Bigger than Hip Hop? Man that album was fantastic for the most part

wisdom0wl

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
man people actually liked this rap/rock shit lol

early 2000s teens/adults were fucking weird

Agent_J

Oct 30, 2017
Growing up in New York, New Jersey, and California I can only offer anecdotal experiences to share. Nobody ever cared who used that word. Nobody. Didn't matter what color or race you belonged to. Now, if a straight laced Wall Street-looking professional came to the bodega and used that word, yeah we would look sideways at him. But nobody fucking cared. Young, old, man, woman, white, black, Hispanic, arab, whatever. Everyone uses that word. I personally don't care for it so I don't use it anymore.

Mechanized

Oct 27, 2017
I mean no, but it was a different time. People grow, times change. There was a lot of questionable language from bands in rock and metal back in the day. Especially with Nu-Metal, most have moved past it. I haven't heard the F or N word in a newer song in forever.

Buzzman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I understand that these things are unacceptable now, but are we really going to condemn all of history for not following todays standards?

BackLogJoe

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Zack de la Rocha uses the word often and he isn't black and no one seems to care. I've never understood that.

Status
Not open for further replies.