• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yumms

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
www.yahoo.com

Target closing San Francisco stores early in response to theft and safety concerns

Target is changing the operating hours of its stores in the San Francisco area due to rising crime in the city.

"For more than a month, we've been experiencing a significant and alarming rise in theft and security incidents at our San Francisco stores, similar to reports from other retailers in the area. Target is engaging local law enforcement, elected officials and community partners to address our concerns," the retail giant said in a statement Friday. "With the safety of our guests, team members and communities as our top priority, we've temporarily reduced our operating hours in six San Francisco stores."

The pharmacy chain Walgreens will shutter 10 stores in the area in response to a surge in shoplifting, it announced in March.

A shoplifter went viral in June after he filled up a garbage bag full of Walgreens products and rode his bike out of the store with the items as a security guard stood by and watched.

"Seventeen Walgreens over the last five years, almost every Gap retail outlet is gone, CVS is under assault," said San Francisco Supervisor Ahsha Safai about the crime surge.

If you thought retail work wasn't stressful enough...try it in San Francisco.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I've been seeing stuff about this on social media.

Apparently the DA is not charging petty crimes or something. And there's a recall effort. Also right wing media is using it for their normal tough on crime narratives.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
This is definitely due to shoplifting, and not due to them not wanting to actually pay anyone to staff those hours. Yep. Absolutely buying this justification at face value.

Booshka

Banned
May 8, 2018
Colton, CA
I can't believe my Target is now having to close early because of this rampant stealing. Time to fund the police some more and get even more mad at poor people.

I like how we just automatically accept the conservative framing from business owners and law enforcement. Citations Needed covered this well in a recent podcast.

GrantDaNasty

Oct 27, 2017

Not saying shoplifting doesn't happen, but the way it is being reported makes it seem like companies will go out of business as a result (spoiler: they won't) and California does not classify shoplifting as a felony, rather as a misdemeanor (this has been STRONGLY OPPOSED by companies such as CVS, Target, Walgreens - cause we really need more people in prison if corporations are to be believed)

Apath

Oct 25, 2017
This is definitely due to shoplifting, and not due to them not wanting to actually pay anyone to staff those hours. Yep. Absolutely buying this justification at face value.
I mean, if it weren't profitable to be open at those hours they would permanently change them. This being in response to a rise in theft makes a lot more sense.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Republicans just salivating over this news/topic.
You know, those of us who live here but are not republicans are also pretty fucking bummed with how the city is being run right now. It's fucking shit, and all it takes is living here to know that theft and property crime are entirely out of control. Honestly, implying that anyone who is against the kind of rampant theft and petty crime that is sweeping SF must be a republican is .. something else.
I can't believe my Target is now having to close early because of this rampant stealing. Time to fund the police some more and get even more mad at poor people.

I like how we just automatically accept the conservative framing from business owners and law enforcement. Citations Needed covered this well in a recent podcast.
This is such a fucking garbage take. The city has gotten much worse, period. Something needs to be done about it.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I worked near that downtown Target. That place along with the CVS and Walgreens were constantly getting stolen from. That law is a real nuisance and I wish it had never passed. It's a free for all.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I worked near that downtown Target. That place along with the CVS and Walgreens were constantly getting stolen from. That law is a real nuisance and I wish it had never passed. It's a free for all.
Yup. I've lived near that area as well as in Hayes, where the Walgreens there is also getting hit fucking daily. I have no idea how the employees who work there endure the sheer level of absurdity behind it all. To excuse this because .. reasons? Is some truly ridiculous shit.

chubigans

Vertigo Gaming Inc.
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
When I was in SF just two years ago I walked into a walgreens and there were people openly stuffing their backpacks with chips and food and just walking out. I was shocked. Like at least five people just openly shoplifting without any care.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When I was in SF just two years ago I walked into a walgreens and there were people openly stuffing their backpacks with chips and food and just walking out. I was shocked. Like at least five people just openly shoplifting without any care.
Anyone who lives here (or has visited for any amount of time) knows this, but apparently keyboard warriors sitting on ERA somewhere across the country/globe understand this city's problems better than its residents. lol

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have a feeling a drugstore wage probably doesn't encourage employees to help prevent theft much, especially somewhere as expensive as SF.
I believe in San Francisco you can't really get In trouble for stealing unless it's a certain amount of money stolen, so blame the rules more so than trying to pay employees to actually do something against them, a reason why not even that security guard did anything when confronting the thief

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland

Not saying shoplifting doesn't happen, but the way it is being reported makes it seem like companies will go out of business as a result (spoiler: they won't) and California does not classify shoplifting as a felony, rather as a misdemeanor (this has been STRONGLY OPPOSED by companies such as CVS, Target, Walgreens - cause we really need more people in prison if corporations are to be believed)

Adam Johnson is part of the Citations Needed podcast. They did an episode on this.

citationsneeded.libsyn.com

Citations Needed: News Brief: "Organized Crime" "Shoplifting Epidemic" Panic Hits San Francisco Media

In this public News Brief, we take a critical look at a recent wave of sensationalist "organized crime" "shoplifting epidemic" stories in national and Bay Area media and how they fit into a resurgent "Tough on Crime" narrative. We are joined by Fred Sherburn-Zimmer, Director of Housing Rights...

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I believe in San Francisco you can't really get In trouble for stealing unless it's a certain amount of money stolen, so blame the rules more so than trying to pay employees to actually do something against them, a reason why not even that security guard did anything when confronting the thief
Not only that but the DA won't prosecute anyway. It's a free-for-all.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well hopefully the people of SF decide to do something because these are big corporations who won't get hurt but those average people that lose jobs and income will when those big stores close stores because it won't be worth it anymore to them.

The average employees on these jobs are the one's that get hurt with less job opportunities and less hours.

it just creates an unwelcoming place when thieves are openly doing as they please, nobody is safe.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

1) They don't make any money while closed
2) They don't need to provide any justification. If they wanted to close to avoid paying people for some bizarre reason they would just close

Jul 14, 2018
Philadelphia
Googled the proposition and the misdemeanor theft amount is anything up to $950?

That seems...ridiculously high.

L.E.D.

Oct 27, 2017
Gonna guess the insane amount of homelessness is leading to this stealing phenomenon.

Just did a quick look on Zillow, 477sq ft apartment selling for over 600k. How the fuck can anyone afford to pay that much for that little space.

Deleted member 4614

Oct 25, 2017

I mean, do you live here? I shop at walgreens and definitely see egregious shoplifting.

Robochimp

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
These corporations want ever dwindling tax bills, why should our justice system maintain their profit margins in the face of soaring inequality?

Good for them in finding a private sector solution.

EDIT: LOL at that elected official citing all the GAP stores being closed. That wasn't shoplifting.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
For everyone who doesn't live here but is providing answers let me clue you in.
In 2014, a statewide law (Proposition 47) reclassified nonviolent thefts as misdemeanors for stolen goods worth less than $950.

This is why it's a free for all. You can steal all day and not be punished. It's the dumbest thing ever.

Oct 30, 2017
Working retail before, it must be really bad as it takes some effort to get HQ to close stores early since a closed store makes no money but if they exceeded their loss prevention budget that badly well that's that.

LastNac

Oct 30, 2017
Live In Japantown myself. It's crazy how bad it is. I've seen so many homeless walk in, grab whatever they want and the cops don't do anything.

It truly is a free for all.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017

I mean, I understand that wanting to correct an overly punitive criminal justice system is a good thing, but not prosecuting lawbreakers without adequate rehabilitation or a social safety net to support them is pretty short sighted, and it looks like we are seeing the effects in SF.

ColdSun

Together, we are strangers
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Last time I was up in San Fran it was pretty apparent this was an issue, and its apparently gotten far worse.
It's super obvious seeing the ignorant hot takes in this thread from people who obviously have no clue but want to pass it off as some political or corporate conspiracy.

AaronMT

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
I'll never forget the one time I visited San Francisco and went to the Walgreens on Market, witnessed theft and then a homeless guy shat right at the entrance preventing us from leaving until it was cleaned up.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
Googled the proposition and the misdemeanor theft amount is anything up to $950?

That seems...ridiculously high.

Misdemeanor doesn't mean someone doesn't get punished.

This makes more sense than the change to misdemeanor. You would see similar rates all over California if it were solely due to Prop 47.

Adam Johnson is part of the Citations Needed podcast. They did an episode on this.

citationsneeded.libsyn.com

Citations Needed: News Brief: "Organized Crime" "Shoplifting Epidemic" Panic Hits San Francisco Media

In this public News Brief, we take a critical look at a recent wave of sensationalist "organized crime" "shoplifting epidemic" stories in national and Bay Area media and how they fit into a resurgent "Tough on Crime" narrative. We are joined by Fred Sherburn-Zimmer, Director of Housing Rights...

This too. I wouldn't be surprised if it may be a problem and corporations are just taking advantage of the situtation.

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Shoplifting is a misdemeanor nearly everywhere under 1000$. The issue is not it being a misdemeanor, it's that those cases aren't being taken by prosecutors so theyve basically said there is no punishment for stealing things less than 1000 dollars.

Which the right points to as a result of the defend the police movement.

WindUp

Oct 30, 2017
I mean is shoplifting that bad if you're just in the store as a customer? I've been shopping and seen people clearly grabbing stuff to shoplift or walking out with a huge bag of stuff and I just kept minding my own business.

EDIT: to all the people talking about how this needs to get under control, you know misdemeanors still get punished, right? Are people in this thread really advocating for shoplifters to be thrown in prison?

Status
Not open for further replies.