• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spiderhead

Banned
Aug 15, 2020
Canada

Seems to imply that TCL might be the supplier for the Switch Pros screen and with the recent rumor of the Switch Pro using a mini led display, it lines up.

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
who isn't to say this is just a new screen for a revision for the Switch.. ? The Pro rumor sounds like a fan´s dream..

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
"Here is a way we can leverage a current rumour to promote our (did we say they were Award-Winning?) 6-series and 8-series TVs"

Oct 25, 2017
Bro they're a television manufacturer, they probably don't even make their own Mini-LED screens. They're not even the guys rumored in the actual article.

Last edited:

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
They're just retweeting a rumor and boosting their own Mini LED TV in the process

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
TCL don't make displays. They integrate displays into their TVs.

If you read the article Innolux is the presumed supplier of the Switch screen.

It's like saying Dell would be the CPU supplier for the next Switch.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
On the one hand, this tweet is suspicious because they seem to talk about it as a certainty and on the other hand they're also in the business of promoting their own mini led tv's. Where there's smoke, there's fire though. We are hearing more and more rumblings of a new Switch and I think we will hear even more early 2021 when all the devs have dev kits.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Ewwww, TCL. I would certainly hope after the amount of problems I ran into with the TCL 6 Series last year, that they wouldn't be making these screens for Nintendo. That would actually be a serious cause for concern for me, lol.

Comparable to OLED without the drawbacks.
No, that's Micro LED, which won't really be available and accessible for the majority of consumers for many years yet. Mini LED, is just another evolution of LCD. As I understand it, they deliver better contrast than traditional FALD TV's, but still suffer from many of the faults of LCD's, such as DSE, (more minimal) blooming, etc. It's just less severe, but they still aren't quite OLED level. It is true they won't burn in, tho.

Oct 25, 2017
On the one hand, this tweet is suspicious because they seem to talk about it as a certainty and on the other hand they're also in the business of promoting their own mini led tv's. Where there's smoke, there's fire though. We are hearing more and more rumblings of a new Switch and I think we will hear even more early 2021 when all the devs have dev kits.
No this is par for the course when it comes to tech company social media. They want to comment on articles that are vaguely related to their product and their field for that minimal engagement. They didn't in this case, but I wouldn't have been surprised if these were pushed out on facebook and linkedin simultaneously.

Like the fact that it's still up after 16 hours tells you nothing is amiss.

Xadra

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2018
I agree with the other users: TLC isn't the manufacturer, and thus they know nothing about the 2021's Switch upgrade .

But maybe this helps a little bit for the ones with inside information to spill the beans.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Lol, they're taking the rumor as a fact, the person who tweeted that probably didn't even read the article.

Jun 23, 2019
Ewwww, TCL. I would certainly hope after the amount of problems I ran into with the TCL 6 Series last year, that they wouldn't be making these screens for Nintendo. That would actually be a serious cause for concern for me, lol.

TCL is one of the best budget 4K brands out on the market right now so this is strange to see. Did you try replacing the TV with the warranty?

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
TCL is one of the best budget 4K brands out on the market right now so this is strange to see. Did you try replacing the TV with the warranty?
First TV had numerous dead pixels, tried replacing it under return period, second TV had a horrible backlight defect that made it like there were spotlights shining from the corners (it wasn't blooming, the first set didn't have this). Third TV had a similar defect, as well as far, far worse DSE (dirty screen defect) than the first two. After going through three TV's, I decided it wasn't worth it trying to push my luck any further, and got my money refunded. Also, this isn't really out of the ordinary for TCL. They are known for having a major "panel lottery" with their TV's, and poor QA.

Jun 23, 2019
First TV had numerous dead pixels, tried replacing it under return period, second TV had a horrible backlight defect that made it like there were spotlights shining from the corners (it wasn't blooming, the first set didn't have this). Third TV had a similar defect, as well as far, far worse DSE (dirty screen defect) than the first two. After going through three TV's, I decided it wasn't worth it trying to push my luck any further, and got my money refunded. Also, this isn't really out of the ordinary for TCL. They are known for having a major "panel lottery" with their TV's, and poor QA.

Sorry to hear that. I've had my TCL for almost 3 years now and it's been great.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
IF TCL screen get to switch, this is the last time i buy a Nintendo Portable Screen Product. Because their Quality Screen are garbage, i made the mistake 3 times on TV before decide to pay 500 dollars more, no regret.

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
I gotta agree with NateDrake's take (heh), although I think the Switch Pro is like the worst kept secret in gaming right now and all signs point to it happening.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
I gotta agree with NateDrake's take (heh), although I think the Switch Pro is like the worst kept secret in gaming right now and all signs point to it happening.

I'll believe it when I see it. So many seemingly credible Nintendo rumors end up just becoming a projection of what hardcore fans would want.

And if I see it I'll probably buy it Day 1.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't imagine Nintendo footing the bill for a mini LED display

DaleCooper

Oct 27, 2017
So that's how you do social media advertising based on rumours...

I think people on Era should be more critical before providing clicks to this form of marketing.

Deleted member 7883

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Social media person's pretty smart for tweeting about this rumor. Definitely got y'all to talk about their screens.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
This pretty much is just saying we have mini-led's in our products and it would be cool to see them in other stuff lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.