• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SRO7

Nov 30, 2017
It passed Volkeswagen (Audi, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini, Porsche, SEAT, Škoda ) and is now the second largest automaker in the world by market value.

Only Toyota now is worth more

Elon Musk has navigated Tesla Inc. TSLA +7.56% into new territory, as the electric-car maker's market value topped $100 billion Wednesday morning and overtook Volkswagen AG as the world's No. 2 most valuable auto maker.

Tesla shares traded 6.25% higher early on Wednesday, lifting its market cap to $104.8 billion. Crossing the $100 billion threshold could start unlocking a more than $50 billion pay package for Mr. Musk. Volkswagen shares fell 1.48% in late German trading, putting its market cap around 90 billion euros ($99.7 billion).

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Elon sucks, Teslas run into walls, stock is a meme.

There. Now we can talk about other things in this thread.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Having not followed anything Tesla related, is there a reason for this or is Tesla just stupidly overvalued right now?

Story is paywalled so I can't see if it explains.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Having not followed anything Tesla related, is there a reason for this or is Tesla just stupidly overvalued right now?

I thought the reason is more on the technology side of things and not the car side of things, or does this new valuation break out the car manufacturing portion of the company somehow?

Deleted member 8741

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Tesla cars are selling incredibly well. They just had a successful launch in China. They are winning lawsuits to be able to sell in states previously blocked. They're about to release a small SUV (likely earlier than projected). Their battery and solar work is looking promising. Competitors can't seem to keep up yet.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Still only worth 10% as much as the most valuable auto maker

png_base64393abaebbf084743.0.0.png

Thatonedice1

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Working on that also.

Model 3 product problems have been fixed and sales have sky rocketed with no real sign of slowing down, model Y is ahead of production targets and several have been seen in the wild, Gigafactory Shanghai built in record time, rumors of a revolutionary new battery coming this year, and other stuff I don't know about.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Tesla shares traded 6.25% higher early on Wednesday, lifting its market cap to $104.8 billion. Crossing the $100 billion threshold could start unlocking a more than $50 billion pay package for Mr. Musk. Volkswagen shares fell 1.48% in late German trading, putting its market cap around 90 billion euros ($99.7 billion).
VW seems kinda underrated when they just announced they'll invest 60 billion into electric car production within the next 4 years.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017

Vexxan

Oct 28, 2017
Think what you will of Elon Musk but this company is shaking up the car market for the better and Tesla has a lot of things going good for it right now (other than the stock going up) and competitors are gonna have a real bad time trying top catch up, if they ever even are able to, considering the investment it is gonna take. I wouldn't be surprised if one or two of the bigger car manufactures are gone in 10 years.

With the Shanghai factory up and running (not yet at full capaticity though) and another factory being built in Europe as we speak, I can only see this company getting bigger and bigger.

Tesla as a clean energy company is probably going to takeoff in the coming years, they have some very smart solutions to very real problems that entire countries are facing right now and they only keep adding technologies to their portfolio by purchasing other clean energy solution companies.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Eh there's lots of doom and gloom but they're still on a pretty good way.

If they get production on schedule they'll produce 500k ID3 (their first sub 30k EV) until late 2021. IIRC they're planning to have 70 EV models on market by 2027.

BMW or Daimler are in a way worse situation.

I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion.
The state of Niedersachsen has a 20% stake in VAG which makes them way too big to fail.
This is also true. VW is too big to fall. No german goverment will let 650k people get unemployed

Deleted member 8741

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion.
The state of Niedersachsen has a 20% stake in VAG which makes them way too big to fail.

Did you watch the video? I don't think they'll fail, but I could see them falling behind significantly.

I do agree VW has the best chance after Tesla. Their van redux looks sweet.

Status
Not open for further replies.