• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackFyre

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Question: the title seems to allude to Rey and the force awakening in her.

But doesn't Finn go through an awakening phase when he refuses to shoot the villagers?

And then when he's shooting the tie fighters in the Falcon, both him and Rey have a moment when he are utterly shocked how they performed beyond their own abilities.

Almost as if the force was guiding them.

But after that and by Last Jedi, we see nothing from Finn to suggest he's remotely force sensitive.

Am I reading it wrong but did TFA not allude to Finn being somewhat force sensitive?

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
But doesn't Finn go through an awakening phase when he refuses to shoot the villagers?

And then when he's shooting the tie fighters in the Falcon, both him and Rey have a moment when he are utterly shocked how they performed beyond their own abilities.
1. How is him realizing the atrocities he is committing related to the force?
2. They were amazed they got out of the situation.

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
I don't know why they let Finn use the lightsaber so much...it just made people's hopes go up that he would be a Jedi, but he's this gen's Leia. I know Han used the lightsaber for like 5 seconds in ESB, but it's not the same. What a weird choice to make to let him use it, honestly.

Jul 18, 2018
I hate how much they hyped up Finn in so many ways...
For him to be just a comic relief.
He should have been Solo/Lando+ levels of awesome

Oct 25, 2017
There was the same SFX for Finn after the trooper touched him as Kylo stopping the blaster bolt and the interrogation

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England

But after that and by Last Jedi, we see nothing from Finn to suggest he's remotely force sensitive.

Am I reading it wrong but did TFA not allude to Finn being somewhat force sensitive?

giphy.gif

Desparadina

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
please don't remind me of the single biggest thing that disappointed me in this trilogy. the misdirection was the entire reason why i even bothered to watch TFA, and then the hope that maybe it'd be explored still in TLJ.....

Oct 28, 2017
I thought he was supposed to be force sensitive as well for what happened to the villagers. Guess we were wrong.

admiraltaftbar

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 9, 2017
I mean based on OT the force kind of drives all living things. I don't think Finn overcoming his stormtrooper programming was a sign he was going to become a Jedi though. If anything TLJ's ending suggests anybody could potentially use the force.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
There were absolutely subtleties in TFA that could have transformed into a "Finn is FS" canon (if they wanted to pursue it). The fact that Kylo stopped in his tracks and stared at Finn, seemingly completely at random. He then instantly/without hesitation recalls Finn's name and number to Hux when they're tying to discover who the defector is.

I was personally hoping we'd get a trilogy that involved Rey/Finn maybe training together/butting heads about the future of the Jedi, what to do about Kylo, etc. Though some of that got explored with Rey and Luke.

Hopefully there's still a chance for that theory, but he doesn't have to be FS to end on a high note.

There's of course his ability to successfully wield a saber in combat, which we haven't seen in the films before with a non-FS.

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, felt bad. Finn possibly being Force sensitive along with Rey was an idea I really liked.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
I kind of wish that it would lean into the first movies implication that the force is something everyone could use if they wanted to, but you have to specifically train yourself to do so. But that's basically not possible with the prequels and even the other OT films kind of assumed that it's exclusive to some people, with how they went on about it being a genetic thing passed down the bloodline.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
There's also a few ways to interpret his dialogue in the TROS trailers as him being FS, though I'm sure it's just slight misdirection

Flame Flamey

Feb 8, 2018
Should have just let him have a lightsaber for the rest of the series, don't even need to have him use the force, just let him use the cool laser sword please, he deserves it.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One of many reasons splitting the creative and letting JJ set up unanswered mystery boxes was a bad idea.

Cugel

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 7, 2017
There was definitely initially more to Finn that the lol sidekick they made him in TLJ.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
It could still go either way. There's more evidence to suggest that Finn is Force Sensitive in TFA than there is of Leia in the whole of the OT. Whether or not he is just depends on what the writers want to do with the character.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see it, OP. I don't get the "Finn was just comic relief" comments, either.

He has big heroic moments in both films, he has strong character growth, he is a flawed person who is both afraid but, ultimately, will put himself in danger and risk his life to save those he loves. He is also capable, and has key plays in the way the film plays out.

He's not just comic relief any more than Rey is (who has her own fair share of comedic moments that play up her innocence and nativity).

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I thought this was going to be about the scene where the Starkiller Base weapon is fired.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
I mean based on OT the force kind of drives all living things. I don't think Finn overcoming his stormtrooper programming was a sign he was going to become a Jedi though. If anything TLJ's ending suggests anybody could potentially use the force.

Yes all living things are in touch with the Force. All of Star Wars, even the prequels, reinforces this. The midichlorians are specifically pointed out as being in all organic life. Life in GFFA cannot exist with them. They are not the Force, but the conduit for living things. Hence why a high midichlorian count was significant. Of course a high midichlorian count wasn't the whole story. Midichlorian don't make one great, that still depends on deepening one's connection to the Force. A higher base aptitude helps, and is why Jedi sought children with high Midichlorian counts during the Old Republic.

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
I dont think there were any actual hints in the film that he was, but Disney was more than happy to bait audiences into thinking he might be in trailers prior to release.

Palookah

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Might even be the polar opposite, if he's too close to someone wielding the force it dulls their effectiveness - that would certainly gel with his portrayal. What a dud.

Oct 27, 2017
There were absolutely subtleties in TFA that could have transformed into a "Finn is FS" canon (if they wanted to pursue it). The fact that Kylo stopped in his tracks and stared at Finn, seemingly completely at random. He then instantly/without hesitation recalls Finn's name and number to Hux when they're tying to discover who the defector is.

I was personally hoping we'd get a trilogy that involved Rey/Finn maybe training together/butting heads about the future of the Jedi, what to do about Kylo, etc. Though some of that got explored with Rey and Luke.

Hopefully there's still a chance for that theory, but he doesn't have to be FS to end on a high note.

There's of course his ability to successfully wield a saber in combat, which we haven't seen in the films before with a non-FS.
People that ignore this detail in TFA are fooling themselves. Yea, that scene was definitely using visual story-telling to portray Finn as someone connected to the force. I definitely think that's what JJ Abrams was teasing.

Why this story wasn't fully blueprinted from the get-go is so baffling.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Rose gave the impression that Finn is a sensitive kisser.

fa___sweet_kiss_by_angelichellraiser-dbjabcz.png

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see it, OP. I don't get the "Finn was just comic relief" comments, either.

He has big heroic moments in both films, he has strong character growth, he is a flawed person who is both afraid but, ultimately, will put himself in danger and risk his life to save those he loves. He is also capable, and has key plays in the way the film plays out.

He's not just comic relief any more than Rey is (who has her own fair share of comedic moments that play up her innocence and nativity).
That's the issue. They are too similar of a character archtype. Young and naive "rebel" and are learning.

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I always thought he sensed the arrival of Kylo Ren in the Force towards the beginning. I definitely thought he was Force sensitive at that point.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
That's the issue. They are too similar of a character archtype. Young and naive "rebel" and are learning.
I disagree, I think they complement each other well, both have their own strengths and weaknesses that make their relationship and journies together feel incredibly satisfying.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Finn was supposed to be many things but he'll end being only one: a total failure as a character.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Eh, I like Finn as he is. Not every character needs to be a Secret Jedi.

Unless they bring back Kyle Katarn, the best Secret Jedi.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still pissed at the misdirection regarding him being a Jedi. I hope he becomes one in TROS.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Finn is the biggest waste of potential in the sequel trilogy. We will see would they do for his character in TROS, but I will not keep my hopes up.

Status
Not open for further replies.