• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aerozombie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PS Now is the most successful game subscription service. Many of you are immediately thinking I am way off base, so here is a link:

Source: PCgamesinsider
The actual report is at Superdata with a $,1999 subscription required SuperData source link.

For context, PS4 is estimated at double the install base of Xbox One, yet this data shows PS Now at ~3.5x of a subscriber base, which you'll see is still not accurate in a moment.

Now the main idea that goes around most news sites and Resetera has been that it is a resounding failure, so much so that certain pundits have released articles claiming Sony has been complacent as it pertains to services. Yet not only does PS Now have the highest revenue, they are already far ahead of their chief competitor the Game Pass as a service. On sheer game count alone: ~700 PS Now games (PS3 titles not downloadable, so a sizeable portion still requires streaming) vs ~250 Game Pass games (all downloadable). Base costs before sales is $120 a year for Game Pass and $100 for PS Now (based on Amazon). Which has other implications, as revenue is based on income and if PS Now is generating more revenue at a lower price point that means their subscriber count is even greater than the ~3.5x implication.
Phil Spencer has spoken about wanting Game Pass on PC and to include streaming, yet PS Now already streams to PC and was a streaming service from the start. PS Now was late on adding downloads, but as of now the only advantage Xbox has is that it launches new games day 1 onto the Game Pass service. Which as much as I would love that Sony did that, most of those day 1 Xbox Games Pass games tend to be more Games as a Service than Sony's first-party AAA release. Sea of Thieves given as part of the service gets Microsoft your monthly subscription plus the added MTX in a model similar to most free to play games, while neither Detroit nor God of War have either MTX or DLC.
Also Sony releases a lot more titles First Party than most realize, here is 2018 developed and published from Sony:

Retail
Detroit: Become Human
God of War
MLB The Show 18
Shadow of the Colossus (remake)
Spider-Man

PlayStation VR
Astro Bot Rescue Mission
Bravo Team
Déraciné
Firewall: Zero Hour
The Inpatient
Wipeout Omega Collection (PlayStation VR support)

PlayLink
Chimparty
Frantics
Just Deal With It!
Knowledge is Power: Decades
Melbits World
Ticket to Ride
UNO
WordHunters

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Sony_Interactive_Entertainment_video_games

I do not think we can label this as a failure of marketing on Sony's part because they clearly have the revenue, so I would think it is a failure on game media for being unware of this. My guess is that since Sony doesn't send them free subscription codes they have nothing to check over the service, even after downloads were added to the service. Maybe better marketing can increase revenue with those of us who were unaware, though I do not have the information to make that judgement.

The questions that come to my mind are:
-If this is such a success without games media support, is games media even relevant when it comes to advertising these kinds of services?

-Where does the gaming audience tend to be found? There really has not been much positive Youtube or Twitch coverage of the service, so where is their marketing finding success?

-Does Sony need to bolster their efforts in PS Now's marketing for the overall, long-term value of the Playstation brand? Xbox tends to get a lot of goodwill for its overall image from its services, where PS has been hinging its marketing on selling its AAA exclusives. I remember seeing game devs tweeting and saying how Sony needs to match out this service over the last year, yet they already have a similar service that is more developed. Is the good will for Xbox from Game Pass purely niche, and irrelevant in the grand scheme of being a console manufacturer?

MrBreada

Mar 13, 2018
I never realized how cool PS Now was. I'm a huge Sonic fan, and people said I should get it because it's the only way to play Sonic Unleashed on the PC. I mean, I still haven't bought PS Now yet, but I'm interested.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
Its not like God of War, Spider-Man, Astrobot etc are actually on the service though right? You listed all the game Sony has published this year.. are any of those actually on PS Now? If not then the list and the Wikipedia link are irrelevant.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
What do those 1st party titles have to do with PS Now when they're not on the service?

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I still don't understand why a cheaper version with only the downloads isn't available worldwide. I'd subscribe day one

I never realized how cool PS Now was. I'm a huge Sonic fan, and people said I should get it because it's the only way to play Sonic Unleashed on the PC. I mean, I still haven't bought PS Now yet, but I'm interested.
Have you played the Unleashed mod for Generations? Better than playing the whole game imo.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yep. People just sleep on it here because enthusiasts dislike the idea of streaming with any sort of lag. Personally I LOVE PSNow, and I'll probably always sign up for it. Heck, I'm more inclined to re up that my PS Plus subscription. Offers most of the biggest PS3 games, and covers a lot of PS2 and PS4 games as well. The new download feature is just icing on the cake.

OP
OP

aerozombie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You listed all the game Sony has published in the past two years.. are any of those actually on PS Now? If not then the list and the Wikipedia link are irrelevant.
The context of that was the 2018 games Sony developed and/or published and would've been included if they had a policy similar to Game Pass. It was comparing the services and showing a theoretical 2018 if the policy was the same and showing how MSFTs 2018 AAA games are better suited as part of a service like GamePass.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
A month late OP: https://www.resetera.com/threads/su...r-subscriptions-spend-45-more-on-games.79656/

The info is also Superdata..... so it could be way off or close. It's also revenue based, not the number of subscribers. We don't know if either one is taking an upfront loss to grow the subscriber base, we can only assume. The only thing we know about subscribers for either one, is Spencer casually stating they have millions of Game Pass subscribers. Plus PSNow is around three years older than Gamepass.

Last edited:

Deleted member 36086

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Gamer centric boards like this are usually out of touch with gaming as a whole. Basically it's if I don't like it or use it, it sucks or is a failure. Case in point, plenty of people at gaf would be surprised when they told that PS Home was successful. Same thing for Media Molecule and LBP.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
Has anyone else actually corroborated this data? Seems to be the same source that was posted before.

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017
My problem with psnow and I think the reason games media isn't talking about it is, that almost has no new games.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
The funny thing is that Game Pass will end up more like PS Now once they add streaming but a vocal minority swear that Game Pass is the Netflix of gaming when it's really PS Now.

Mr. Nice_Guy

Oct 27, 2017
What does your bit about Sony's first party titles have nothing to do with the service you're talking about when they're not offered on it? Didn't know they added the download option. If all games become downloadable on it I might become interested, as of now though I still don't care. No PS classics on the PS4 but PS2 games being on this service just sours me on it more.

OP
OP

aerozombie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A month late OP: https://www.resetera.com/threads/su...r-subscriptions-spend-45-more-on-games.79656/

The info is also Superdata..... so it could be way off or incredibly accurate.
That thread was on spending on games while this is about comparing services, how the games media presents the service, and where consumers are being successfully marketed from.
As it pertains to SuperData I'll get back to you, since they are all publicly traded companies I can check 10-Ks to see if they back this up. Though from even before checking I'm doubtful of MSFT since game pass is probably overall immaterial for MSFT

Mr.fresh

Oct 31, 2017
I tried it for the first time over the weekend and it actually wasn't bad at all playing Katamari forever

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018
Comparing the install base isn´t fair though, is it? PS Now makes PS games available on PC. Gamepass doesn´t (yes, I know, there´s a handful of exceptions, but those games are still on PC regardless). Playing many PS3 exclusives can be a great incentive to many PC users.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
Yeah we had a thread a few weeks ago about Now having over 50% market share.

It's surprising, but the service has been consistently getting better these last couple of years.

OP
OP

aerozombie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What does your bit about Sony's first party titles have nothing to do with the service you're talking about when they're not offered on it? Didn't know they added the download option. If all games become downloadable on it I might become interested, as of now though I still don't care. No PS classics on the PS4 but PS2 games being on this service just sours me on it more.
I'm talking about how they are not offered as it relates to game pass and that the advantage that MSFT gets with putting their AAA games on Game Pass is that they act as GAAS while Sony's don't. Therefore it doesn't make business sense for Sony to do it even though the consumer would love it

TreeMePls

Oct 25, 2017
The funny thing is that Game Pass will end up more like PS Now once they add streaming but a vocal minority swear that Game Pass is the Netflix of gaming when it's really PS Now.
The more funny thing is when people go on and on about how MS is moving gaming forward when they offer streaming while Sony's been doing it for years now. Same thing for when they get into VR

OP
OP

aerozombie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah we had a thread a few weeks ago about Now having over 50% market share.

It's surprising, but the service has been consistently getting better these last couple of years.
The marketshare isn't the talking point, it's the PR, marketing, games media, and service comparisons. The market share was just to justify the assertion, which allows the comparison, and brings the actual questions towards the end

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
PS Now is cool but they don't offer their games day 1. That would make the offerings way better.

Jakartalado

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
I'll be interested when they see the entire world as a possible consumer. I'm tired of waiting Sony.

Its impossible to use the PS Now living in Brazil. And I'm pretty sure there's a lot of people in other countries in the same situation.

Microsoft approach in other hand is entirely open to all who acquire the Xbox One.

rrc1594

Oct 25, 2017
In till I see months like December for Game Pass on PS Now, I see no reason to give them my money.

Machine Law

Oct 26, 2017
I accidentally subscribed to PS Now because of the stupid way Sony presents you with the initial screens when signing up for the trial. Needless to say I immediately regreted it after taking a look at the library.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
If Sony put first party releases on it the day they release then they'd have my coins.
Well yeah. They'd have a lot of our money. But they're not gonna do that. They're first party games are largely single player story driven games. And they sell on their own. Why would Sony give that up? Microsoft can because their games are largely multiplayer GaaS. The types of games ppl will play for a long period of time. So those ppl would subscribe to game pass for months to continue to play these games. For sonys games it would be a one month and done situation.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Yet not available in AUS.

hqdefault.jpg

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I don't know a single person using it.
I personally love game pass but now never appealled to me.
I really feel like Sony should push this way more. I don't know what games it has, what it costs, hell I almost didn't know you could download games now. It feels like Sony just made this and now doesn't care about it anymore.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PS Now is cool but they don't offer their games day 1. That would make the offerings way better.
Yeah I'm not sure why people insist on comparing the services by saying "Oh yeah well this one has 700 games but this other one only has 300 games". Is sheer content count really a reasonable way to evaluate any service? I want to play new releases and recent stuff, not streamed last-generation games.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Just out of interest, why is this the general consensus? Didnt Nielson, just buy this company? Are we saying Nielson is just all dodgy now?
Tbh it's just what I've read on here from what I believe to be reliable ppl. And just based on what Sony has done recently (lowered prices, allowed downloadable titles) I don't think it's doing amazingly well or anything

GhoulOne

Mar 4, 2018
$20 per month is too expensive and I don't want to buy a whole year at once. Lower it to $10 per month and I might think about it

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
If the library wasn't so....old? I would probably subscribe. Game Pass at least has new games (for December it's delivered Ashen, Below, Mutant Year Zero and Kindom 2 Crowns as new day and date releases) and guaranteed all of Microsoft's new first party titles. I think for what they offer for PSNow, it's price is too high.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
The more funny thing is when people go on and on about how MS is moving gaming forward when they offer streaming while Sony's been doing it for years now. Same thing for when they get into VR

Until Sony is offering all their games day one on the service they will be behind what MS is doing. Also, isn't PSNow only available on very few devices? Whereas MS wants their streaming service on everything.

rrc1594

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm not sure why people insist on comparing the services by saying "Oh yeah well this one has 700 games but this other one only has 300 games". Is sheer content count really a reasonable way to evaluate any service? I want to play new releases and recent stuff, not streamed last-generation games.

This. I mean in December XBP had Mutant: Year Zero, Below and Ashen day 1

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
Foe me, the main disadvantage of PS Now is that the PS3 games are streaming only compared to Game Pass where everything is downloadable. I've seen people claiming that the lag on PS Now streaming isn't that bad but I disagree. Even with wired Ethernet, I can still easily feel the lag. It's really unfortunate and I hope Sony can find the way the make PS3 games run on PS5.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I care mostly about Sonys first party, and they are not there, so I don't care. I buy their first party, and don't feel like I need ps now

On the other hand, I only own 2 Xbox one games, dcup head and ori digitally (ori is coming to game pass now too, and it's sequel). The rest are on game pass, all the first party games I need are there. And I take advantage of the indie and third party games as well, as cherry on top. I also feel like the library might be smaller, but there's a great variety and quality games. But again, I'm in for all their first party

And I know sales were not taken into account, but 6 months for $30 is unbeatable. For the price of 2 full games ($120), I got 2 years, and I'm good until 2020. I already beat 2 games, it's all gain from here

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what the actual usage numbers are. Sure a bunch of people are paying for it, but how often do they use it?

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Even if it was a reliable source, it wouldn't surprise me, given Sony's install base. It's a solid service now. Still doesn't beat Game Pass to me. Not yet, anyway.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
I had no idea you could use this straight on PC.

As someone who's been out of the Playstation ecosystem for more than a few years, it sounds pretty great. A month would be worth if for Bloodborne, God of War 3, and The Last of Us alone.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
I would rather own their games and I think that's the lens through which Sony is looking at it too, but I can't complain about options and that it would make it a way better service for those who prefer streaming. I think it will be interesting to see how day one streaming impacts long-term sales because streaming is going to be a prominent next-gen feature.

Microsoft can because their games are largely multiplayer GaaS. The types of games ppl will play for a long period of time. So those ppl would subscribe to game pass for months to continue to play these games. For sonys games it would be a one month and done situation.
Game Pass is a huge success already which apparently keeps people coming back month after month.

Are you able to tell me how many first-party games have they put out on that service so far that can back up this claim of it being sustainable for Microsoft simply because of GaaS games alone? Acting like Game Pass retaining its value is strictly confined to online multiplayer first party exclusives is kinda ridiculous. I wonder what the most popular games downloaded and streamed using PS Now is, whether or not they're single or multiplayer, and I wonder if there's any way of retrieving that data without having to revert to unsubstantiated claims. Your "one and done" comment reminds me of a certain rhetoric.

Nov 8, 2017
The actual data here is not necessarily reliable.

With that said, the idea that PS Now could easily pivot to rival or exceed the value of Gamepass is not controversial IMO. The only thing stopping Sony from putting their games on day one is institutional inertia. If Gamepass becomes a true differentiator next gen, and started tipping things towards Microsoft, Sony can dump all their 1st part on there, start striking more deals for contemporary offerings, and lower the price (if necessary). It's for this reason that I don't tend to think of gamepass as some kind of long term advantage, it's ultimately ephemeral.

Status
Not open for further replies.