• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017

(CNN) — The Cherokee Nation announced Thursday that it intends to appoint a delegate to the US House of Representatives, asserting for the first time a right promised to the tribe in a nearly 200-year-old treaty with the federal government.
It was a historic step for the Oklahoma-based Cherokee Nation and its nearly 370,000 citizens, coming about a week after Chuck Hoskin Jr. was sworn in as principal chief of the tribe. The Cherokee Nation says it's the largest tribal nation in the US and one of three federally recognized Cherokee tribes.
The move raises questions about what that representation in Congress would look like and whether the US will honor an agreement it made almost two centuries ago.

I'm surprised they waited this long. I'm glad they are doing this though.

dragonchild

Oct 26, 2017
Picked a hell of a time to bring this up. Trump is ripping up promises made less than 20 years ago to white people.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
You know, I never really thought about it, but actually it seems kind of crazy that recognized tribes don't get representatives.

MonoStable

Oct 27, 2017
Don't some places have like non voting representation in Congress? Im guessing they'll give them that but we'll see.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
What's the reason for why they don't already have a House representative? 200 years is a long time to wait on something this important... have they attempted this before?

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Long overdue and one is not even remotely enough at that for them. Many many other tribes and territories should be given Representatives both in Congress and honestly in the Senate too. Congress as a whole is completely fucked. The Reapportionment Act needs to go and Congress needs to be held at a minimum of 1 rep per 100k people, not the like 750k we are currently at. It's completely fucked.

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
Picked a hell of a time to bring this up. Trump is ripping up promises made less than 20 years ago to white people.

Prediction of incoming future tweet

"That was a very very bad "deal" and I didn't make it so why do I have to honor it? America beat the Indians and even let some of them live here so that was a very good thing but I didn't make that deal so I think we shouldn't have to keep a promise made so long ago not by me. MAYBE BORDAR PETROL SHOULD LOOK INTO THERE "NATIVE" STATUS?"

Status
Not open for further replies.