• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 1273

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lootbox.0.jpg

what was the damn point of these.
All that grinding, all that work so they can just reset the clock when the game is not as hot anymore ?

Why make a sequel to an online only game so damn quick.
Really, between this and all the crap of recent years im done with blizzard.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this renders the point of the GaaS model really useless.

I like GaaS stuff depending on the implementation - this is shitty

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
I dont actively follow overwatch anymore, but didnt Jeff say they have plans that would extend overwatch content for at least a few more years?

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Since it sounds like "Overwatch 2" is more of a PVE expansion than an actual sequel, I don't think most OW players will abandon the main game for it.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It released 3 years ago, and the game didn't even get announced yet. We don't even know whether the skins will go into the new game or not. We know nothing.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Eventually all GAAS games will shut down the servers... all of those cosmetic items will be useless then.
Nothing lasts forever I suppose.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Couldn't Overwatch 2 be more of a single-player experience while they continue to support the original game? People have been begging for a single-player game in that world.

Ghost

Oct 26, 2017
I'm surprised people are baffled by the idea of a popular game getting a sequel. A $60 one at that.

Oct 25, 2017
Schreier said the game is mostly or all PvE. It's probably not an actual sequel, it's probably a co-op story spin-off. I don't think this will replace current Overwatch.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Calm down. If this is accurate...

Then we won't need to worry about losing our progress. Which, if it happened, I agree would be bullshit. But as far as I can tell, this seems more like a sequel-sized expansion rather than a replacement.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Since it sounds like "Overwatch 2" is more of a PVE expansion than an actual sequel, I don't think most OW players will abandon the main game for it.
That's the only thing that makes sense if they're going to announce it at BlizzCon this year, especially with all of the new heroes they have in the pipeline.

Nugnip

Oct 25, 2017
If it felt like work you shouldn't have done it in the first place. And if you paid for boxes, well, don't say no one warned you about those loot boxes.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
Define "quick"?

It's been 3 years since the game came out and by the time this one is actually out, it will be 5+ years. Sometimes I get the impression from posts on this forum that people think they will live forever.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
It sounds like they are releasing this to compliment the original Overwatch, not replace it. I think they are just calling it Overwatch 2 in house, but it won't be the official name.

Overwatch isn't going anywhere. This PvE focused release though is exactly what I've wanted since the game first released.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why don't we wait for some more information before we start baselessly assuming that the game (which isn't even confirmed as a "game" to begin with) is going to take all your skins away.

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That's how it is with video games. One of these days Blizzard will finally shut down WoW, and everyone who spend tens of thousands of hours on the game will feel empty inside.

Rahfiki

Oct 28, 2017
I'm genuinly confused at all of this immediate backlash at the concept of Overwatch 2.

We don't know if our accounts carry over, we don't know if there's cross-play, we don't know how in-depth the PvE mode will be, and tbh we don't even know that it'll even be a full-priced standalone title.

With Blizzcon in November, assuming the game is actually announced there of course, chances are the game wont be out this year so at minimum we got 4 years of support for Overwatch. That's worth my initial $60 and the game was good enough that I wouldn't mind shelling out for a new one if it's improvement.

In the game's current state Overwatch 2 makes so much sense imo

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Whats the logic behind not wanting a sequel cause you bought lootboxes?

How does not one not know that a famous game gets a sequel?

Who said that those skins or progress are not transferable?

Lets immediately jump to the worst conclusions with the smallest amount of info and shit on our hand so we can throw some action.

Crumb

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Overwatch isn't the first game to have progress that you lose when the sequel comes out

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
People who put all their chips in the Overwatch basket are fascinating to me. It was fairly obvious that the game was not going to meaningfully expand for free after the first six months, which means a new full-price SKU would need to be made, reusing a great deal of the original's assets.

With the writing on the wall for lootboxes, and Blizzard spiraling, it's fate has been sealed for a while now.

Oct 25, 2017
The issue with GaaS is that eventually you'll have to do some major overhaul to the games foundational systems and code that just won't mesh into the original version.

Merc_

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
You didn't actually think they'd stick with Overwatch 1 forever, did you?

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Welcome to video games?

I thought about it and yeah this is my take away. I spent large amounts of time and money on things that didn't matter or get carried over when the next entry, or hot thing, took its place. This is how gaming works in most cases. I don't consider it a waste bc I enjoyed the moment and I never expect stuff to last forever.

Deleted member 40102

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
lootbox.0.jpg

what was the damn point of these.
All that grinding, all that work so they can just reset the clock when the game is not as hot anymore ?

Why make a sequel to an online only game so damn quick.
Really, between this and all the crap of recent years im done with blizzard.
They said it is mostly co op and a lot described it close left 4 dead did you even read the fuckin article ? so I'm pretty sure everything in overwatch online will stay the same.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Blizzard is not going to release Overwatch 2 in the sense you think they are. That engine and client is ever improving and evolving and will for the foreseeable future. What Overwatch 2 is likely just a placeholder name for whatever spinoff that game is gonna be. Core Overwatch and your items aren't going away.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
They should do what Guild Wars 2 did.

You earned points based on what you did in the first game and then redeemed them for exclusive cosmetics and titles in the new game.

Best of both worlds. New game but players of the old game aren't left out completely cold.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I'm surprised people are baffled by the idea of a popular game getting a sequel. A $60 one at that.
Define "quick"?

It's been 3 years since the game came out and by the time this one is actually out, it will be 5+ years. Sometimes I get the impression from posts on this forum that people think they will live forever.
A successful game gets a sequel? I'm shocked
I'm ready for an overwatch 2.
Whats the logic behind not wanting a sequel cause you bought lootboxes?

How does not one not know that a famous game gets a sequel?

Who said that those skins or progress are not transferable?
Overwatch isn't the first game to have progress that you lose when the sequel comes out
The point is that Overwatch is supposed to be a game that'll see support for years to come, support that's supposed to be still going based on Jeff Kaplan's recent comments (unless those were an outright lie or if the next few heroes were carried over to Overwatch 2 instead). The OP has every right to be angry if this Overwatch game is meant to replace the existing one.

With that said, based on later comments from Jason, this game sounds more like a PvE spin-off that'll co-exist with the existing Overwatch.

You didn't actually think they'd stick with Overwatch 1 forever, did you?
No, but one would think that it would last well into next-gen.

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
What an OP. I guess ResetEra is full on "land of overreacting to rumors" in this PrE3 period.

Nobody knows anything about it. Nobody knows what it is, nobody knows if anything will be lost during the "move", if there is a move at all, if anything is lost at all.

ZanderEzekial

Oct 25, 2017
Cyberspace
From everything that's out there now, Overwatch 2 might not even be a new game. It could literally be another option on the menu integrating with the existing heroes. It certainly doesn't sound like a brand new "entry in the series", whatever that means in this context.

Even if it is a new game, Blizzard should be able to sync cosmetics between the two right?

Deleted member 40102

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Blizzard is not going to release Overwatch 2 in the sense you think they are. That engine and client is ever improving and evolving and will for the foreseeable future. What Overwatch 2 is likely just a placeholder name for whatever spinoff that game is gonna be. Core Overwatch and your items aren't going away.
Yeah this is what they actually described in the article. They literally said its heavily depended on pve and its close to left 4 dead.

If only people can read these days before making assumptions ....

Status
Not open for further replies.