• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
User Banned (2 Weeks): Xenophobic Commentary and Trolling Over Multiple Posts; Accumulated Infractions
The modern entries in the Call of Duty franchise has always incorporated complex issues into the narrative of the game.
COD4 had the explored these concepts:
-status quo corrupt institutions vs a populous, radical, anti-globalist factions in both the Middle East and Russia.

Modern Warfare 2 had:
-Fake news (Americans shooting up Russian airport) escalating a nation to violent response.
-Hardline patriots doing treason and doing unethical things for the good of the country.

Modern Warfare 3 had:
-Moderates in factions, if given chance to regain power, can bring about world peace.

Based on the newest Modern Warfare trailer, critics can rest easy knowingly that IW will knock it out of ballpark with its representation of the state of affairs in NOT Syria.

The Modern Warfare franchise was deserving of its reputation as provider of deep and nuanced portrayal of international relations and geopolitics. There is no better candidate of a studio to explore the divisive issues, inconsistencies, and conflicts in current American society than Infinity Ward.

The list of themes that a police themed Call of Duty can explore:

The war on drugs, and the presence of Cartel activity in the US
Mass shootings
Armed alt-right militia groups + domestic terrorists.
A corrupt president that intentionally acts above the law for personal gain.
Interference by foreign actors.
Social media's capability in encouraging acts of violence.

Imagine a game in which you play as a sheriff defending a border town against Southern invaders, a SWAT team clearing an apartment of gangsters, a security guard trying to prevent domestic terrorists from shooting up a college, a FBI agent getting trapped in hostile alt-right self-determined country, and a national guard soldier defending US infrastructure from an attack by Russian sponsored PMCs or some group of mooks that have convenient excuse to be well armed and trained.

People say that the best movies can be understood in better light if taken in context the state of the world during in the era in which it was made. Infinity Ward if they can properly treat the themes I listed with respect and subtleness can make a game that'll stand the test of time. It'll be in the upper echelons of media like Citizen Kane, Wizard of Oz, Dr. Strangelove.

Last edited:

SnugTeam6

Oct 25, 2017
United States
magine a game in which you play as a sheriff defending a border town against Southern invaders, a SWAT team clearing an apartment of gangsters,

This sounds like a terrible, terrible idea. As for the other examples, Call of Duty has never shown the capacity to tell a nuanced story. Nope. No.

Police militarization is already an awful issue that the US has to deal with, let's not have a dumb video game glorify it further.

OP totally does sound like a cop.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I feel like Battlefield Hardline turned both audiences & studios away from police-based settings in action games for a good long while.

It's a delicate subject, and it seems difficult to do right. Having to write the story years before it actually releases also doesn't help matters.

Joco

Oct 29, 2017
You're kidding right. COD might sometimes present political or social issues, but always explores these with the depth of a puddle.

Deleted member 56306

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2019
Hrm... No thanks. Call of Duty rarely steps above it's jingoism - not really all that interested in trusting the franchise to do anything interesting on the topic of policing in the U.S.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think I trust Call of Duty to tell a story like that, and I don't think their audience would appreciate it generally.

I could see Far Cry doing something like that though.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Except your main interaction with the world in Call of Duty is shooting hundreds and hundreds of people. Ideally, you'd be shooting no one as a police officer.

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
220px-Battlefield_Hardline.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
EA/Activision/ aren't equipped to handle this with the nuance it deserves. I feel like OP is giving them too much credit in the past for handling anything complex in regards to story telling.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Only way I would play this game is if the police are the bad guys and I can kill thousands of faceless cops while rampaging through an American city.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

EA/Activision/ aren't equipped to handle this with the nuance it deserves. I feel like OP is giving them too much credit in the past for handling anything complex in regards to story telling.
Funny thing is I think visceral handled it the best way any "Battlefield but with cops" concept could work, they made it very clear that it was an over the top tv show inside of a game.

Sincerest

Jan 22, 2018
Not the forum for you to suggest this, this place has a hate boner for police.

But I can see that being cool, in a Netflix's Narcos sort of way. (Pablo Escobar, etc.)

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
People say that the best movies can be understood in better light if taken in context the state of the world during in which the era is made. Infinity Ward if they can properly treat the themes I listed with respect and subtleness can make a game that'll stand the test of time. It'll be in the upper echelons of media like Citizen Kane, Wizard of Oz, Dr. Strangelove.

I actually laughed.

GameBuddy

Oct 27, 2017
Hellabama
I know it's ages old, but playing COD4 remastered it's incredibly transparent how they were just sucking off 24 and Jack Bauer's love of "enhanced interrogation" at the time. Of course the weren't the only ones, but regardless

Oct 25, 2017
The modern entries in the Call of Duty franchise has always incorporated complex issues into the narrative of the game.
COD4 had the explored these concepts:
-status quo corrupt institutions vs a populous, radical, anti-globalist factions in both the Middle East and Russia.

Modern Warfare 2 had:
-Fake news (Americans shooting up Russian airport) escalating a nation to violent response.
-Hardline patriots doing treason and doing unethical things for the good of the country.

Modern Warfare 3 had:
-Moderates in factions, if given chance to regain power, can bring about world peace.

The Modern Warfare franchise was deserving of its reputation as provider of deep and nuanced portrayal of international relations and geopolitics. There is no better candidate of a studio to explore the divisive issues, inconsistencies, and conflicts in current American society than Infinity Ward.

The list of themes that a police themed Call of Duty can explore:

The war on drugs, and the presence of Cartel activity in the US
Mass shootings
Armed alt-right militia groups + domestic terrorists.
A corrupt president that intentionally acts above the law for personal gain.
Interference by foreign actors.
Social media's capability in encouraging acts of violence.

Imagine a game in which you play as a sheriff defending a border town against Southern invaders, a SWAT team clearing an apartment of gangsters, a security guard trying to prevent domestic terrorists from shooting up a college, a FBI agent getting trapped in hostile alt-right self-determined country, and a national guard soldier defending US infrastructure from an attack by Russian sponsored PMCs or some group of mooks that have convenient excuse to be well armed and trained.

People say that the best movies can be understood in better light if taken in context the state of the world during in which the era is made. Infinity Ward if they can properly treat the themes I listed with respect and subtleness can make a game that'll stand the test of time. It'll be in the upper echelons of media like Citizen Kane, Wizard of Oz, Dr. Strangelove.
ACAB

Status
Not open for further replies.