• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 19, 2020
Rugby Warwickshire England
Edit: holy shit I was wrong about this, I found this put via this twitter user: https://twitter.com/RoseSilicon/status/1463178790641840135
I thought they meant the entire team and when I questioned them they linked that tweet from Masuda, it turns out they were only talking about the programmers, so I was wrong about that. I am so sorry for creating a bad faith misinformation thread that wasn't my intention.

[/URL]
According to this tweet from Masuda the entire development team was only 16 people, I think that does explain some things about the game.

Last edited:

Neil98

May 2, 2018
Madrid, Spain
Holy crap... Well for such a small team they have done a fucking fantastic job then
But fucking Gamefreak, why wouldn't they spend more money on the remakes and make them have the features people have been asking for such as the full Pokedex? I don't think it would have been that costly, tbh, and the games don't support competitive play anyways. Also, battle frontier and megas 😢

Porygon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mexicali
Do they thought that was enough?
Was the budget that small?

What's going on? lmao

I mean, props to those 16 devs, but damn

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
The main team was only 16 people.
Doesn't really mean much, they're receiving a lot of external help. The credits list six different companies that assisted on the programming alone. Six for character models too.

It's common to have a small core team that focus on the game's fundamentals while delegating tasks such as animation, modelling and the like to several dozen external devs. That's just the realities of modern game development and there's no reason Pokemon would be an exception to that. NMH3 is another game that comes to mind with a small core team that heavily relied on outsourcing to cross the finish line.

Last edited:

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
I thought the source of this was going to be the end credits, not a random photo of people. That could just be the leads for all we know.

Paper Cheese

Oct 9, 2019
Yeah this tracks.

Also the highest selling Switch game this year, so it's obviously worked out well for them. Must be one of the most profitible games to come out in a long time?

Annoying, but oh well

Deleted member 5129

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
16 people doesn't seem unusual for a small game like this, especially a remake. Though there's probably a whole bunch of cheap asset outsourcing going on.

The main team hardly did anything in this case, the actual work was done by 100s of people in several outsourcing companies.

16 people is nothing

"The main team hardly did anything" what the fuck. A stealth "lazy devs"? Jesus lmao.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
man you can just say anything on the internet and get away with it as long as it confirms people's biases

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
It's too early for this shit Era

giphy.gif

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
imagine posting a tweet instead of the credits for the game a game thats been out a while and people have already completed

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
But but Pokemon is TOO big, think of the exponential growth of the franchise! They are scrambling to make animations and ANYTHING to do in the post game! If they had hired 17 or 18 people Game Freak may have had to cancel Pokemon Legends!!!

Bobsjourney

Jul 19, 2020
and somehow it still has a better postgame than Sword and Shield
Sword and Shield post game was so bad lmao but I also think bdsp has a much worse main journey. The exp share and the levels they chose for trainers really don't mesh well at all. After having nothing but level 7 battles, you'll be around level 13ish and then ull face against the level 14 gym leader. Then you'll be back to facing level 7-10 trainers again, and then it goes to like 12 and then you'll be at 2nd gym where u face the gym leaders level 22 Rosalia with ur probably level 22-24 pokemon(that's what mine were with 0 training at this point). Then, the very next battle u have is against a galactic grunt with a level 14 zubat and a level 13 wurmple. It's pretty ridiculous honestly.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I don't know how your concluded that there are only 16 devs, when the tweet just says that this is the development team, not "this is everyone in the development team".

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
The Tweet just says "development staff," not "the entire development team."

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
This thread has a lot of people ready to shit in TPC with zero critical thinking, it is amazing

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Alternative take: BDSP is surprisingly the best retro Pokémon experience since HGSS, and it only took 16 people to lead most of that effort (not ignoring the outsourced/contracted/offsite support of course).

sure it's got some bugs but really, just disable auto save and enjoy one of the best Pokémon campaigns since B2/W2.

thank you GF for giving this to someone else while you hopefully polish Arceus Legends

Syntsui

Oct 25, 2017
Considering the final product, these guys are legends. The game is fantastic and all problems within it would certainly be handled if they had a couple of more months.

It is sad though how Pokémon Company doesn't seem to respect their IP the way they should.

Synohan

Oct 25, 2017
The translation never mentions that the entire staff is present for the picture. So the claim that the staff is 16 people is completely baseless, without even looking at the credits. We see pictures like this all the time.

This is silly.

Oct 27, 2017
I found this out from a programmer who follows me on twitter so I am just repeating what they found out.
How would a random programmer not in ICLA or part of TPC or presumably any of the contracted companies/groups know the breakdown or work or the full staff? No one in this thread knows "who did most of the work", not you saying it was these guys or the other poster saying it was the contractors

Status
Not open for further replies.